• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pettigrew to keep UNC coaching job

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1199351.html

My comments on the article:

UNC = Drug Cheats R US?

Wow, first they keep convicted drug cheat and embezzler Marion Jones in the Athletic Hall of Fame. Now they let a disgraceful drug user, cheat and disgrace to athletics keep his job. What is next? Hiring the coach of both of them (Trevor Graham) to take over the team?

Gimme a freaking break! What kind of message are they sending? It must be, "win at all costs, but leave your integrity at the door".

Re: Pettigrew to keep UNC coaching job

Originally posted by MJR
    http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1199351.html

My comments on the article:

UNC = Drug Cheats R US?

Wow, first they keep convicted drug cheat and embezzler Marion Jones in the Athletic Hall of Fame. Now they let a disgraceful drug user, cheat and disgrace to athletics keep his job. What is next? Hiring the coach of both of them (Trevor Graham) to take over the team?

Gimme a freaking break! What kind of message are they sending? It must be, "win at all costs, but leave your integrity at the door".
    MJR...

Personal failures of whatever nature AFTER college don't diminish the accomplishments DURING college. OJ is STILL a Heismann trophy winner and in the Hall of Fame, regardless of his murdering streak in '94.

Comment

But he's not out there coaching track or football either. Maybe the USATF Coaching certification needs to become a License. Lose it and you cannot get hired to coach, just a like a teacher or doctor would when they lose theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
        But he's not out there coaching track or football either. Maybe the USATF Coaching certification needs to become a License. Lose it and you cannot get hired to coach, just a like a teacher or doctor would when they lose theirs.
        Do you really think the NCAA would ever cede that kind of authority to USATF? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          Originally posted by MJR
          Do you really think the NCAA would ever cede that kind of authority to USATF? I doubt it.
          Its not a question of ceding authority. Let a completely outside body manage the Licensing. USATF just continues to teach, test and grade the exams. Something like this would actually give real meaning & benefit to being a certified coach, more so than the nice little certificate that you hang on the wall now.

Comment

Drug bans should DEFINITELY be accompanied by a no coaching rule. There are so many former drug cheats, coaching impressionable teens. If said coaches believed when they competed that they had to take drugs to win, well, they're unlikely to have had a change of heart. It makes me sick to see people like Dennis Mitchell and "Star Pupil" in the hunt for medals! :evil:

I don't know why this is devoted to Petigrew, he is one of dozens of college/highschool coaches still in our sport, despit their drug addled past!

Comment

Originally posted by MJR
              Originally posted by tandfman
              Originally posted by MJR
              Its not a question of ceding authority. Let a completely outside body manage the Licensing. USATF just continues to teach, test and grade the exams. Something like this would actually give real meaning & benefit to being a certified coach, more so than the nice little certificate that you hang on the wall now.
              Ain't going to happen with the thousands of volunteer coaches out here at the lower ranks of the sport. The real problems are at the top...both with the athletes and management of the sport. The lower ranks suffer from neglect by the USATF management.

Personally, I'd like to see the amateur side of the sport cut loose from USATF...return it to the AAU or form another body.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaack
                Drug bans should DEFINITELY be accompanied by a no coaching rule. There are so many former drug cheats, coaching impressionable teens. If said coaches believed when they competed that they had to take drugs to win, well, they're unlikely to have had a change of heart. It makes me sick to see people like Dennis Mitchell and "Star Pupil" in the hunt for medals! :evil:

I don't know why this is devoted to Petigrew, he is one of dozens of college/highschool coaches still in our sport, despit their drug addled past!
                Not directly relevant to Pettigrew but I just remembered reading in an old Athletics Weekly about the Cuban discus thrower Luis Mariano Delis serving his drugs ban that prevented him from competing in Barcelona '92...in Barcelona, only coaching Olympic champion Maritza Marten!

Comment

what about being a forgiving society...

keep a close eye on him...

any drug problems, he goes quickly...

Comment

Wasn't his wife also a deputy sheriff with Wake County-Raleigh?

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt Francis

Personally, I'd like to see the amateur side of the sport cut loose from USATF...return it to the AAU or form another body.
                      Why don't you get involved with USATF and make it better instead of just bitching about it?

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                        what about being a forgiving society...

keep a close eye on him...

any drug problems, he goes quickly...
                        Have gone through a trainer-exchange during the heart of a season. It ain:t pretty, and it is, itself, unforgiving on the athletes who:ve bought into a specific regime.

Comment

Working...
                        X