X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They'll keep their medals.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/10/01/gymnasts.age

Comment

Is anyone really surprised? I don't think the IOC has the spine to take them away.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I don't think the IOC has the spine to take them away.

They proved that with Paul Hamm.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

So, then, what's all the foolishness about "the rules" and "cheating" and so forth? Obviously, anything goes....

Comment

Originally posted by guru
            Originally posted by gh

Putting Paul Hamm in the same category as the 12-year-old (my estimate) Chinese gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules. He was given a favorable judge's ruling, which happens all the time. And there's a lot of other reasons he should have been allowed to keep his medal.

The Chinese gymnasts on the other hand, who probably had only recently finished potty training, ...

Comment

There are two very very good reasons for the age rule. Let us not lose sight of the reasons for the rule. It is one thing to tolerate an oversight, it is another to reward the breaking of a very important/appropriate rule.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                Originally posted by gh

Putting Paul Hamm in the same category as the 12-year-old (my estimate) Chinese gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules. He was given a favorable judge's ruling, which happens all the time. And there's a lot of other reasons he should have been allowed to keep his medal.

The Chinese gymnasts on the other hand, who probably had only recently finished potty training, ...
                I don't think guru was putting Hamm in the same category at all. Guru was simply stating that the IOC has shown they don't have the spine to take away medals in gymnastics.

And "Putting Hamm in the same category as the ...gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules" seems to point the finger that the "12-year old gymnasts" did...when they didn't either, seems clear it would be the Chinese government. Not about to blame the "12 year old gymnasts" themselves for any of it, they're kids. Do they even know the rule? And should they?
                "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Article now on front page says there has been widespread falsification of ages in China.

Comment

Re: Chinese gymnasts still golden?

It's not over yet.

http://tinyurl.com/ydb82td

Comment

It's not over yet.

http://tinyurl.com/ydb82td
                      Guru, the link does not work.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Here's the full link.

http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/vsite/vco ... em,00.html

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny

The Chinese gymnasts on the other hand, who probably had only recently finished potty training, ...[/quote]

I don't think guru was putting Hamm in the same category at all. Guru was simply stating that the IOC has shown they don't have the spine to take away medals in gymnastics.

And "Putting Hamm in the same category as the ...gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules" seems to point the finger that the "12-year old gymnasts" did...when they didn't either, seems clear it would be the Chinese government. Not about to blame the "12 year old gymnasts" themselves for any of it, they're kids. Do they even know the rule? And should they?[/quote]

There was an even bigger error in favor of the guy that people think Hamm should give the medal to; the net result (I think) is that gets the Hamm with Gold and the other guy does not even get the Silver.

Comment

Re: Re:

Originally posted by 26mi235
                            Originally posted by Mellow Johnny

And "Putting Hamm in the same category as the ...gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules" seems to point the finger that the "12-year old gymnasts" did...when they didn't either, seems clear it would be the Chinese government. Not about to blame the "12 year old gymnasts" themselves for any of it, they're kids. Do they even know the rule? And should they?[/quote]

There was an even bigger error in favor of the guy that people think Hamm should give the medal to; the net result (I think) is that gets the Hamm with Gold and the other guy does not even get the Silver.[/quote]

Actually you're quoting me originally and that was part of the hidden intent of my note. There was an even larger judging error for the Korean gymnast who got the silver, which has been well pointed out, and if both were corrected, then Hamm still gets the gold.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by gh
                              Is anyone really surprised? I don't think the IOC has the spine to take them away.

Well they just stripped the team bronze from 2000.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36825542/ ... ic_sports/

Comment

The latest potential scandal involves a North Korean gymnast who has apparently used three different ages.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/m ... le1739606/

Comment

Working...
                                X