X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tandfman
    replied
    Re: Chinese gymnasts still golden?

The latest potential scandal involves a North Korean gymnast who has apparently used three different ages.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/m ... le1739606/

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Re:

Originally posted by gh
    Is anyone really surprised? I don't think the IOC has the spine to take them away.

Well they just stripped the team bronze from 2000.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36825542/ ... ic_sports/

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Re: Re:

Originally posted by 26mi235
    Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
    They proved that with Paul Hamm.
    Putting Paul Hamm in the same category as the 12-year-old (my estimate) Chinese gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules. He was given a favorable judge's ruling, which happens all the time. And there's a lot of other reasons he should have been allowed to keep his medal.

The Chinese gymnasts on the other hand, who probably had only recently finished potty training, ...
    I don't think guru was putting Hamm in the same category at all. Guru was simply stating that the IOC has shown they don't have the spine to take away medals in gymnastics.

And "Putting Hamm in the same category as the ...gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules" seems to point the finger that the "12-year old gymnasts" did...when they didn't either, seems clear it would be the Chinese government. Not about to blame the "12 year old gymnasts" themselves for any of it, they're kids. Do they even know the rule? And should they?[/quote]

There was an even bigger error in favor of the guy that people think Hamm should give the medal to; the net result (I think) is that gets the Hamm with Gold and the other guy does not even get the Silver.[/quote]

Actually you're quoting me originally and that was part of the hidden intent of my note. There was an even larger judging error for the Korean gymnast who got the silver, which has been well pointed out, and if both were corrected, then Hamm still gets the gold.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied
    Re:

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
    Putting Paul Hamm in the same category as the 12-year-old (my estimate) Chinese gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules. He was given a favorable judge's ruling, which happens all the time. And there's a lot of other reasons he should have been allowed to keep his medal.

The Chinese gymnasts on the other hand, who probably had only recently finished potty training, ...[/quote]

I don't think guru was putting Hamm in the same category at all. Guru was simply stating that the IOC has shown they don't have the spine to take away medals in gymnastics.

And "Putting Hamm in the same category as the ...gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules" seems to point the finger that the "12-year old gymnasts" did...when they didn't either, seems clear it would be the Chinese government. Not about to blame the "12 year old gymnasts" themselves for any of it, they're kids. Do they even know the rule? And should they?[/quote]

There was an even bigger error in favor of the guy that people think Hamm should give the medal to; the net result (I think) is that gets the Hamm with Gold and the other guy does not even get the Silver.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied

Here's the full link.

http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/vsite/vco ... em,00.html

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

Originally posted by guru
    It's not over yet.

http://tinyurl.com/ydb82td
    Guru, the link does not work.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied

It's not over yet.

http://tinyurl.com/ydb82td

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Article now on front page says there has been widespread falsification of ages in China.

Leave a comment:

• Mellow Johnny
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam
    Originally posted by gh
    I don't think the IOC has the spine to take them away.

The Chinese gymnasts on the other hand, who probably had only recently finished potty training, ...

And "Putting Hamm in the same category as the ...gymnasts is just wrong. Hamm broke no rules" seems to point the finger that the "12-year old gymnasts" did...when they didn't either, seems clear it would be the Chinese government. Not about to blame the "12 year old gymnasts" themselves for any of it, they're kids. Do they even know the rule? And should they?

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    There are two very very good reasons for the age rule. Let us not lose sight of the reasons for the rule. It is one thing to tolerate an oversight, it is another to reward the breaking of a very important/appropriate rule.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    So, then, what's all the foolishness about "the rules" and "cheating" and so forth? Obviously, anything goes....

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Is anyone really surprised? I don't think the IOC has the spine to take them away.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    They'll keep their medals.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/10/01/gymnasts.age

Leave a comment:

Working...
X