Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is NBC on a mission to kill track and field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is NBC on a mission to kill track and field?

First the Olympics. You know what happened.

Now they bought WCSN.com and changed the name to universalsports.com. Zurich happened on Friday, they didn't show it. Luasanne is happening today, they're not showing it. Memorial Van Damme is on Friday, they're not showing it.

WCSN announced at the beginning of the season that they did not acquire rights to the Golden League. Lausanne, I don't know.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

NBC=joke.

Quick, somebody contact their CEO to file a complaint. I think his last name is Marriott.

This is a sport NBC claimed on their olympics site to be one of the top five most important at the games. Really?

Their actions indicate otherwise.

Comment

Re: Is NBC on a mission to kill track and field?

Originally posted by sprintblox
        Zurich happened on Friday, they didn't show it. Luasanne is happening today, they're not showing it. Memorial Van Damme is on Friday, they're not showing it.
        ESPN-Classic showed Zurich that afternoon and presumably will show Brussels 'live' also.

Comment

Now they bought WCSN.com and changed the name to universalsports.com. Zurich happened on Friday, they didn't show it. Luasanne is happening today, they're not showing it. Memorial Van Damme is on Friday, they're not showing it.
          Lausanne aside, what on earth is your complaint here? These meets are being covered by other outlets. It's not exactly SOP for more than one network to carry the same event.

Comment

If you want to see the Golden League meets, you have to go to either USATF.org or trackshark.com.
            "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

I agree with you. They are using their mighty dollars to inflict "communism" on the people, not giving them what they when when they want it.
              20201.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by euan Track Guru

I agree with you. They are using their mighty dollars to inflict "communism" on the people, not giving them what they when when they want it.
                I'm awfully confused here. Zurich was available in the US both on the world's largest cable sports outlet and on the USATF website (for free). The same will be true of Van Damme. Where does NBC/Universal play into this? When are sporting events ever carried by more than one TV partner per nation?

There are plenty of reasons to gripe about the way the Olympics were presented to hardcore fans of MANY sports, but complaining about the way NBC is handling events to which it does not own rights seems a bit ignorant.

Comment

nbc is all about making money and having the platforms to amke money..

they screwed up nbcolympics.com by NOT having live streamming of the t&f...

that;s my complaint with them...

nbc never mentiong phelps 18 months DUI sentence...

so we know what we're dealing with here..

Comment

Don't whine. In Germany, it's impossible to see ANY Golden League coverage, on the tube or as a podcast.

I asked several German friends for their comments on Jelimo's 1:54.01, and all of them said the same thing. We couldn't see it.

I think someone forgot that Germany is hosting the next World Championships. Nothing like stifling interest this way.

Comment

While I'm no fan of NBC's track coverage, there seems to be some confusion on the part of readers on this thread, so let me clarify it as simply as possible:

1. WCSN never had the U.S. rights to the Golden League meets this year. Thus,

2. NBC/Universal Sports also does not and never did have the rights to the GL meets. So criticizing NBC in this regard is pointless.

3. The U.S. TV rights to the meet are held by ESPN, which has shown all the GL meets.

4. I'm not exactly sure how the Internet rights work, but if you want to see the GL meets over the Internet in the United States, all you have to do is go to usatf.org or trackshark.com.

No one is being deprived of the opportunity to see the GL in America, and NBC, as much as they annoy me, are not any sort of villain with regard to the Golden League this year.
                      "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

For the record, I just saw this thread as another opportunity to rip NBC for their stellar Olympics performance-just for fun of course.

Comment

Originally posted by trackstar
                          While I'm no fan of NBC's track coverage, there seems to be some confusion on the part of readers on this thread, so let me clarify it as simply as possible:

1. WCSN never had the U.S. rights to the Golden League meets this year. Thus,

2. NBC/Universal Sports also does not and never did have the rights to the GL meets. So criticizing NBC in this regard is pointless.

3. The U.S. TV rights to the meet are held by ESPN, which has shown all the GL meets.

4. I'm not exactly sure how the Internet rights work, but if you want to see the GL meets over the Internet in the United States, all you have to do is go to usatf.org or trackshark.com.

No one is being deprived of the opportunity to see the GL in America, and NBC, as much as they annoy me, are not any sort of villain with regard to the Golden League this year.
                          Don't come with this man!! We trackfans just want all uninhibited reasons to hate on NBC. Don't come with facts unless its anti-NBC. No moments of clarity here. :lol:

Comment

From a home-page-linked article

Though NBC Universal touted its groundbreaking digital delivery during last month’s summer Olympics in Beijing, China, when it streamed 2,200 hours of live events, it was TV--particularly, network TV--which thoroughly dominated when it came to media coverage of the 17-day event.
                            Does NBC even know (we already know they don't care) how poorly they served their track fan clientèle? They still act like they had the most comprehensive coverage ever, while we (here) all know it was the worst coverage in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Does NBC even know (we already know they don't care) how poorly they served their track fan clientèle?
                              I imagine they served us as well as they served their Estonian-American Ophthalmologist clientèle. I think as far as NBC is concerned, those clientèles are of equal size and importance. :cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X