Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schlafly: Title IX tied our hands at OGs

http://townhall.com/columnists/PhyllisS ... e_olympics

Why bother attending college if you can't play the sport you love?
    "Knowledge is power."

Comment

The connection between Title IX and the relative failures at the OG is
      obviously speculative; however, it is one more sign that various kinds of
      ideologically driven affirmative-action programmes can do more harm than
      good. Equal _opportunities_, not equal out-come, should be the basis.

Comment

I get it! Phyllis wants us to turn back the clock 40 years, so we can gain a handful of U.S. medals in men's sports.

But how many women's medals would America lose as a result?

I'm well aware of the hit men's track has taken because of Title IX interpretations by colleges (and their failure to realize that football is the death of us all), but Title IX is just an outgrowth of the civil rights movement.

Of course, Phyllis would just love to revive the Confederacy as well.

How many medals would the United States and Confederate States win combined? (That assumes that blacks are allowed to compete for the Grays.)

K E N
        K E N

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
          I'm afraid you've lost me. If the connection between the Olympic "relative failures" and Title IX is "obviously speculative, " how can it signal anything?

And last I checked, the U.S. ended up with more medals than anyone else, and women won at least some of those medals didn't they?

Phyllis Schafly is an idiot and always has been.

Comment

Re: Schlafly: Title IX tied our hands at OGs

Has anyone ever adequately answered the question: why does Phyllis Schlafly hate women so much? There's gotta be a Nobel Prize in Psychology in there somewhere.

Comment

For what it is worth, she is probably right to a degree about wrestling and gymnastics (though I don't think that people take up certain sports just to land scholarships) as well as the fact that the proportionalilty rule sucks.

However, this article is just ridiculus in that it doesn't even mention FOOTBALL -- the real problem for men's sports like gymnastics and wrestling (and t&f and cc to a lesser extent) getting cut at the college level.

Comment

Re: Schlafly: Title IX tied our hands at OGs

Originally posted by Marlow
                Has anyone ever adequately answered the question: why does Phyllis Schlafly hate women so much? There's gotta be a Nobel Prize in Psychology in there somewhere.
                Clayton Bigsby might have the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinsdad
                  Originally posted by imaginative
                  I'm afraid you've lost me. If the connection between the Olympic "relative failures" and Title IX is "obviously speculative, " how can it signal anything?

And last I checked, the U.S. ended up with more medals than anyone else, and women won at least some of those medals didn't they?

Phyllis Schafly is an idiot and always has been.
                  Unfortunate formulation on my behalf (incorrect reference). What I meant to
                  say was that some of the numbers (presuming that they are correct) and ideas
                  (if somewhat speculative) in the article are one more sign [and so on].

As for Phyllis mental capacities: I have absolutely no idea who he (she?
                  girly name) is, or what kind of ideas are normally to be expected.

Comment

I believe Title IX is whacky and destructive mostly because of the "equity" rather than " equality" provisions. Still, football IS the major problem with Title IX, no about that.

As for the damage at the OG's, the case is very weak. Volleyball comes to mind, where our men's indoor team won gold in a sport where men's D1 teams are (and have been) limited to 3.5 scholarships per team maximum and very few men's D1 teams compete. While the women, with a quantum leap more teams and scholarships at the college level finished 2nd... a wonderful achievement (one wonders what the women might have done with May and Walsh on the indoor team these last several years) but the facts do not fit the anti-Title IX argument.

Comment

Phyllis is probably pushing 80yo. by now so she's probably not up on these things. But someone should tell her that most of the world's olympic-caliber athletes receive support from the state and were never getting college grants-in-aid.

If she's really concerned about the state of our wrestling and men's gymnastics, she could push for different kinds of support.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
                        Phyllis is probably pushing 80yo. by now
                        Wiki says she's 84.

Comment

Phyllis has always been a nut. Okay, that is unfair. If she wishes to stay in the '50s, the God bless her. My daughter, however, does not have to do the same, unless she chooses to.

How on Earth Title IX keeps us from running as fast as the Jamaicans is a mystery to me. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by skyin' brian
                            For what it is worth, she is probably right to a degree about wrestling and gymnastics (though I don't think that people take up certain sports just to land scholarships) as well as the fact that the proportionalilty rule sucks.

However, this article is just ridiculus in that it doesn't even mention FOOTBALL -- the real problem for men's sports like gymnastics and wrestling (and t&f and cc to a lesser extent) getting cut at the college level.
                            By-and-large, in track, the reduced number of college scholarships affects the good athletes, not the great ones who are likely to get the prizes. However, it might mean that some track athletes get diverted to FB because the coach can hope to get some track/field out of little t&f scholarship money.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                              Originally posted by skyin' brian

By-and-large, in track, the reduced number of college scholarships affects the good athletes, not the great ones who are likely to get the prizes. However, it might mean that some track athletes get diverted to FB because the coach can hope to get some track/field out of little t&f scholarship money.
                              I tend not to worry too much about scholarships (much easier to get $$$ for your brains than brawn) but the programs getting dropped. Only 18 schools sponsor a varsity men's team in gymnasts for NCAA

Comment

Working...
                              X