• imaginative
    replied
    An additional consideration is outsiders googling for personal information
    about e.g. a job applicant (apparently quite common these days). Speaking
    for myself, I would have no problems telling a (discreet) fellow poster who
    I am, but I would not at all be comfortable with the thought that a
    prospective employer, girl-friend, whatnot, could link my posts here to me
    without my consent---possibly reading them out of context, gaining access
    to ``things you can only tell a stranger'' information, or a similar.

(Not that I think that I written anything majorly incriminating sofar---it
    is more a general feeling of discomfort.)

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by malmo
    I know what you mean. I used to get harassing emails from tracknut which didn't stop until I said that I was going to his ISP to stop it. Now I post my email address with reservation, and make sure that I edit it out after the utility of it has been served.
    Since you occasionally refer to me as 'tracknut', I think you need to clarify that. I remember no e-mails or ISP threats!!! I do remember PMing you here once asking for a peace treaty and you told me to stop 'stalking' you! :shock: :?: :!: :?: :!:

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve

I agree with the "semi-anonymous" description. I'll tell people my name, but for all the obvious reaspns ( this is Public Domain) my e mail, address, etc. do not get casually thrown around.
    I know what you mean. I used to get harassing emails from tracknut which didn't stop until I said that I was going to his ISP to stop it. Now I post my email address with reservation, and make sure that I edit it out after the utility of it has been served.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    I have met or corresponded personally with several regular posters on a specific topic or issue and have no problem with identifying myself privately but prefer to remain semi-anonymous on the forum.
    Having met lonewolf in Eugene, I'm more than happy to out him. His real name is Chief Jumping Bean of the Hopi (Native American) nation.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    I suspect there are about as many reasons posters do not use their real name as there are posters who do not use their real name.
    Several regulars have identified themselves publicly but I don't think we should ascribe ulterior motives to those who choose a screen name, many of which are more descriptive than real names would be.
    I have met or corresponded personally with several regular posters on a specific topic or issue and have no problem with identifying myself privately but prefer to remain semi-anonymous on the forum.
    I agree with the "semi-anonymous" description. I'll tell people my name, but for all the obvious reaspns ( this is Public Domain) my e mail, address, etc. do not get casually thrown around.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I suspect there are about as many reasons posters do not use their real name as there are posters who do not use their real name.
    Several regulars have identified themselves publicly but I don't think we should ascribe ulterior motives to those who choose a screen name, many of which are more descriptive than real names would be.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    A few years ago a whole bunch of us publicly proclaimed our real names here... why not ? But it is "fun" to have a handle.

Leave a comment:

• Kevin Richardson
    replied
    Originally posted by Patterson Crandall
    Originally posted by trackrebel
    calling someone a name, behind a screen name, is pretty much the weakest thing I´ve seen in quite some time.
    It goes on every day here. Nothing new, move along...
    Among the top 50 posters here, exactly TWO go by first and last name, Mile Renfro and Per Anderson. Several others are easy to figure out, but most go by aliases.
    Signed,
    Taflow
    Who's a fellow have to sleep with around here to crack the Top 50? I may not be a Taf/Marl/andall here, but I do my best! :wink:

Leave a comment:

• stallion
    replied
    Yes, Pego, this is the crux of the matter...I concur wholeheartedly, as you may attempt to defend yourself if you're participating here, but if not, it is the extreme of cowardice to take shots at people who ostensibly are not participating. Good point, you xxxxxxx!

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    calling someone a name, behind a screen name, is pretty much the weakest thing I´ve seen in quite some time.
    Among the top 50 posters here, exactly TWO go by first and last name, Mile Renfro and Per Anderson. Several others are easy to figure out, but most go by aliases.
    Signed,
    Taflow
    no problem with aliases....just calling people names...cheap to me
    ...behind their backs, too. I am with you.

Leave a comment:

• trackrebel
    replied
    Signed,
    Taflow
    no problem with aliases....just calling people names...cheap to me

Leave a comment:

• Aiden
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    You don't want them to teach reality?
    Gh, that is a rather disheartening comment coming from you. How do we interpret this?

Leave a comment:

• Patterson Crandall
    replied
    Signed,
    Taflow

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• trackrebel
    replied
    Originally posted by liuxuan
    shes an arsehol. period.

Glad shes reunited with her kids though, I fully believe she'll have more integrity as a mother than an (alleged) sports person!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X