Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear George and the 9.36 Steepler, I Trained Like an Idiot..

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    I just wanna say how much courage it takes to say anything personal on this board knowing your gonna get slammed.
    The slamming has not always existed on this message board. It has crept in over time, and it is a sad sight to behold.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
      I just wanna say how much courage it takes to say anything personal on this board knowing your gonna get slammed.
      Right. Upon entering this board I was told the water was warm. Soon found out that the waters here are pretty chilly.

Comment

stallion would do well to read less Mark Twain, and more Sidney J. Harris.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by ponytayne
          jesus christ stallion! lay the fuck off the guy.

I'm sick of this type of thing that has crept into our message board lately - of dissecting other posters' personal performances, and disagreeing with opinions (OPINIONS!!!) with a written tone of smugness, derision, and a "you are wrong, I am right attitude." Just stop it, already.
          Very well said. Thank you.

Comment

Enjoy the pasture stallion.

Comment

Well done, gh. You rode in on your whatever-that-is, just in time !

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Believe it or not, as entertaining as this thread has been, I was only moments ago wondering where you or bhall were.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Don't forget zzbottom and paddysiam.
                  There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by stallion
                    Even if your story were true, it doesn't explain how you weren't able to translate your anger into a good race now and then, a race befitting somebody who could run 4X1600 in 4:11, which I might add, is a workout a 13:00 5k guy might do.
                    stallion, it is unfortunate that you persist in your disbelief. You:re a volonteer-of-the-year award-winner who knows his books, so certainly you have read that the entire team ran 4x1.600m that day, with one athlete running a more remarkable average than I did. You:ll also have known that I came into the autumn season fully rested without a single race between 20-may and 11-september, when I ran a 2.27,4 1.000m time trial. I pulled off a 13.20 3-mile with negative splits on 14-october after raising my total km from 58 to 110km/wk. Then I reeled off life:s underwerk, a 4x1.600m day with 10 entire minutes between runs, the last one in 4.05, two wednesdays later.

Remarkable recovery? I was able to run 48,6r and 48,9r with 23 minutes (!) between races at Bruce Jenner in grade-12; a 1.57,1 open 800m and 2.00,7 4x800m leg with 10 minutes between the time I crossed the line to the time I got the baton the same season at a meet hosted in Concord, CA... resting pulse, 130 @ 60 seconds after the first run. I ran a 9.33 2-mile in Los Gatos, CA with three weeks of total training between the previous 26-may and mid-october and finished up the season with a state meet berth and a 15.15 target for the Woodward Park course.... you:d have heard of me by that point. Instead, I got to watch the race unfold after 2.000m with the leaders pulling away from me due to sickness.

Have you ever been injured at a key point in your training stage? I was. At this stage, everything you question becomes irrelevant, because you have no idea in the slightest how my body reacted to the recovery and rehabilitation, nor if I ever reached that pinnacle again.

Insofar as I have never stated I was able to repeat that - or get close, that should clue you in on something right there, namely that I was in the form of my life, and the 13.20 3-mile was my proof that things were where they were supposed to be.

I never recovered my form following that autumn, as I ran injured in track following a hellacious 800m effort - one I took for the team. The following autumn - one again, where I didn:t contest cross country, I developed chondromalacia - a fact I have stated on more than one occasion here. I increased my weekly km from 110 to 123 - not a significant factor for someone like you, a 10km guy. For me, a guy who ran 100m/200m/400m as well as 800m/1.500m, it was a ligament-killer when the workout schedule went from singular to double three times a week and the sunday runs, which I ran with a 1.47 800m runner, increased to 26km per run.

That:s my story, and I:m glad to have been a part of a movement back then, one, which if it had come to fruition, would have had me in a very nice group of company.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this story, EPelle. I admit I had to read it twice to truly understand it, however I don't feel like adding much right now.

Comment

Working...
                      X