Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bolt and 40y football splits [split]

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bolt and 40y football splits [split]

    cum....1.85 .2.85 ..3.79 ..4.65 .5.47 .6.29 ..7.12 ...7.96 ..8.82 .9.69
    So I set up a quick-and-dirty equation:

    4.65 over 132.2336 feet = X over 120 feet.

    This gives a 40-yard dash time of 4.22 seconds.

    So all those NFL Combine times of 4.1 seconds are now officially suspect.

    K E N

    Chris Johnson is listed with a 4.24 on this site:
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

    He was timed at 10.38 seconds in the 100-meter sprint and ran the anchor leg on the fastest 4x100 relay team in the nation that won Golden South and Golden West national titles.
    So I guess Bolt would run about 3.8 for 40 yards in the NFL, right?
    K E N

  • #2
    I wonder if it's possible with their explosive training for the 40 that NFL guys can run that fast, but of course by the time they got to the 100m mark would be creeping in with a 10.6-7??
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by scottmitchell74
      I wonder if it's possible with their explosive training for the 40 that NFL guys can run that fast, but of course by the time they got to the 100m mark would be creeping in with a 10.6-7??
      There's no doubt in my mind that if you got the 4 most explosively fast NFLers and had Bolt race them on grass in cleats, he would not be in the top 2 at 40 yards.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bolt's 10-meter splits in his 9.69

        Originally posted by TrackCEO
        cum....1.85 .2.85 ..3.79 ..4.65 .5.47 .6.29 ..7.12 ...7.96 ..8.82 .9.69
        So I set up a quick-and-dirty equation:

        4.65 over 132.2336 feet = X over 120 feet.

        This gives a 40-yard dash time of 4.22 seconds.

        So all those NFL Combine times of 4.1 seconds are now officially suspect.

        K E N

        Chris Johnson is listed with a 4.24 on this site:
        http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

        [quote:3p0iyvr8] He was timed at 10.38 seconds in the 100-meter sprint and ran the anchor leg on the fastest 4x100 relay team in the nation that won Golden South and Golden West national titles.
        So I guess Bolt would run about 3.8 for 40 yards in the NFL, right?[/quote:3p0iyvr8]

        Remaining quick and dirty, and ssuming average speed from 30 yards to 40 yards remains the same (which it doesn't so the time at 40 yards is in reality a bit slower), I get an estimate of reaching 40 yards at
        (4,65s - 3,79s) / 33,0584 feet * (33,0584 feet - 12,2336 feet) + 3,79s = 4,33s

        Then subtract Bolt's reaction time from that.

        No doubt there is a glaring error there somewhere, but it gives a somewhat plausible result.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bolt's 10-meter splits in his 9.69

          Originally posted by lapsus
          Originally posted by TrackCEO
          cum....1.85 .2.85 ..3.79 ..4.65 .5.47 .6.29 ..7.12 ...7.96 ..8.82 .9.69
          So I set up a quick-and-dirty equation:

          4.65 over 132.2336 feet = X over 120 feet.

          This gives a 40-yard dash time of 4.22 seconds.

          So all those NFL Combine times of 4.1 seconds are now officially suspect.

          K E N

          Chris Johnson is listed with a 4.24 on this site:
          http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers

          [quote:37fgfnji] He was timed at 10.38 seconds in the 100-meter sprint and ran the anchor leg on the fastest 4x100 relay team in the nation that won Golden South and Golden West national titles.
          So I guess Bolt would run about 3.8 for 40 yards in the NFL, right?
          Remaining quick and dirty, and ssuming average speed from 30 yards to 40 yards remains the same (which it doesn't so the time at 40 yards is in reality a bit slower), I get an estimate of reaching 40 yards at
          (4,65s - 3,79s) / 33,0584 feet * (33,0584 feet - 12,2336 feet) + 3,79s = 4,33s

          Then subtract Bolt's reaction time from that.

          No doubt there is a glaring error there somewhere, but it gives a somewhat plausible result.[/quote:37fgfnji]

          The topic of football's 40y times has crept up on several occasions. Factors
          like flying starts, dubious hand-timing, waiting for the perfect conditions
          before running, have been mentioned. There is no comparison with the
          estimated first 40y of a 100m race.

          Remarks:

          1. For a better approximation subtract from 4.65 instead of adding to
          3.79. (40y is closer to 40m than to 30m.)

          2. ``quick and dirty'' is a very dangerous phrasing in this context ;-)

          Comment


          • #6
            Has anyone calculated what his 40 yard dash time would be ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kamikaze7
              Has anyone calculated what his 40 yard dash time would be ?
              Using one of the several sets of timing points someone posted that is was a relatively modest 4.11 or thereabouts. Since most of Bolt's damage is from 40-80m, the 0-30m is not that great.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kamikaze7
                Has anyone calculated what his 40 yard dash time would be ?
                yeah - it was round about 4.36, which, removing the .4-.5 double-reaction time, gives him about a 3.9 old-skool Football 40. On grass, in cleats, is another story. I think there are some comparable NFL-types who could keep up with him for 40 in grass, in cleats. It's Asafa that I think could beat them all to 40.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Marlow
                  ... I think there are some comparable NFL-types who could keep up with him for 40 in grass, in cleats. It's Asafa that I think could beat them all to 40.
                  Maybe ... possible ... I doubt it. Even if they could stay with him for 40yds from 50 on it would be like The Road Runner vs Will E. Coyote. Meep! Meep! ziptang!!

                  I heard a lot of Bolt references by NFL announcers on Sunday. One went so far as to say put a football in Bolts hands he wouldn't be that fast. :roll:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jnathletics
                    =I heard a lot of Bolt references by NFL announcers on Sunday. One went so far as to say put a football in Bolts hands he wouldn't be that fast. :roll:
                    Right! And if you put a 16-lb. shot in his hands, he'd be even slower!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Jnathletics
                      One went so far as to say put a football in Bolts hands he wouldn't be that fast. :roll:
                      I found out early on in my one rather unsuccessful foray into HS football, that I went from being one of the fastest in the school on a track in spikes, to rather pedestrian with pads and helmet and a football in my hands. People I could easily ran away from on the track were easily hunting me down and hitting me on the gridiron! :shock:
                      Bolt and Powell are indeed the fastest of the fast on the track, but . . . grass, cleats, making cuts, pads, helmet, football, people trying to hurt you - whole new thang!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Marlow
                        Originally posted by kamikaze7
                        Has anyone calculated what his 40 yard dash time would be ?
                        yeah - it was round about 4.36, which, removing the .4-.5 double-reaction time, gives him about a 3.9 old-skool Football 40. On grass, in cleats, is another story. I think there are some comparable NFL-types who could keep up with him for 40 in grass, in cleats. It's Asafa that I think could beat them all to 40.
                        One thing at also matters as a receiver is being able to accelerate when you are already 'at speed' -- if you look at Bolt between 30 and 50m+ you can see that he does that trick very well. Also, the fastest defensive backs are typically a little on the small size -- and 6'5"/190+cm is a lot of size, especially with his long arms. However, if he does not have the hand-eye coordination for catching the ball... and where would he have gotten that coordination -- FB in Jamaica is soccer (foot-eye coordination is different).

                        [But the Cricket is a different wicket..]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          he was a big cricket player growing up so maybe he does have good hand/eye coordination

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 26mi235
                            One thing at also matters as a receiver is being able to accelerate when you are already 'at speed' -- if you look at Bolt between 30 and 50m+ you can see that he does that trick very well. Also, the fastest defensive backs are typically a little on the small size -- and 6'5"/190+cm is a lot of size, especially with his long arms. However, if he does not have the hand-eye coordination for catching the ball...
                            [But the Cricket is a different wicket..]
                            Usain Bolt 6-4 198

                            Jerry Rice 6-2 196
                            Torry Holt 6-0 190
                            Randy Moss 6-4 210

                            All he needs to do is be able to catch the ball. Being three steps faster than any human being on the planet, he would change the game in the same way that Bob Hayes changed the game.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by malmo
                              All he needs to do is be able to catch the ball.
                              Yes, and being able to take the hits. Skeets, Reggie Torrian etc. were fast, able to catch the ball, could not take the hits. RT could have easily been a sub-13, if he did not venture into football.
                              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                              by Thomas Henry Huxley

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X