Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 9/11 Memorial Starts to Take Shape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndrm0jzijB0

9/11still seems like a surreal experience in my life.

Ground Zero HD cam, with backdate capabilites to view progress.

http://www.earthcam.net/users2/interfac ... ientid=158
    There are no strings on me

Comment

7 years ago i turned on the TV at work with my friend Chuck from New York. One tower had fallen but we didnt know it and as we saw only one tower we assumed the other tower was hidden behind the one we could see.

Chuck went to get a cup of coffee. While he was gone we watched in horror as the second tower collapsed.

When Chuck got back he asked," Why are the towers?" I replied, "They're gone Chuck, they're gone."

The boss told us to get back to work. I walked straight to the time clock and punched out, grabbed a 12 pack of beer and headed home to my TV. :x :arrow: :shock: :arrow: :cry:
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        The boss told us to get back to work. I walked straight to the time clock and punched out, grabbed a 12 pack of beer and headed home to my TV. :x :arrow: :shock: :arrow: :cry:
        Yeah, I don't see how any employer wouldn't have let his/her people watch that kind of a drama, even if it takes a couple of hours. What happened the next day when you got back to work? Or did you?

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden
          Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          Yeah, I don't see how any employer wouldn't have let his/her people watch that kind of a drama, even if it takes a couple of hours. What happened the next day when you got back to work? Or did you?
          Lucky for me the boss man said nothin.
          phsstt!

Comment

When I was in Seattle last weekend, I met a guy that is friends with a recent transplant from Austin. The guy from Austin was a pilot for AA and one of the planes that crashed was his regular plane & route...except that day was his day off. He's no longer a pilot and is now an inspector for the FAA.

Comment

My 9/11 story -

Back in 2001 my company was only a year old, and I was making weekly Tuesday trips to Columbus, OH from Cincinnati to personally pick up and deliver work to my accounts there. Normally pretty much of a 90 minute snoozer drive. Leaving at around 9:00 AM, I had no access to a TV and followed the news on NPR.

About halfway to Columbus on I-71, I noticed a very odd site in the crystal clear sky ahead of me - an airplane contrail making a U-turn. I don't know for a fact, but feel pretty safe in assuming it was United 93, which did turn over northeastern Ohio around that time(9:45 or so).

Comment

Yeah, I was in a free period at school, and when my next class started we turned on the TV and watched. Some of the girls started crying and asked, "Why do they hate us so much? " and "Is this the start of World War 3? Are we all going to die?"

The rest of the day was spent in all of them writing journals of their feelings and experiences of the day, because it was obviously a very important day in their lives. We later published them together and they are very spooky to read now.

Comment

The actor James Woods in the weeks before 9/11 was on a plane sitting in first class with the 9/11 terrorists who were doin a run thru. I said he immediately picked up that something was very wrong with the men.

In an story Woods told often after September 11, he says that a month before that disastrous day he flew on an American airliner and overheard four "Arab-looking" men talking in adjacent seats. Deciding it was "blatantly obvious" they were planning to hijack the plane, he says he warned a flight attendant and one of the plane's pilots, but he put this traumatic incident out of his mind after the four men did not in fact try to hijack the plane. Woods says he reported the incident to the FBI after 9/11, and says he was "told unofficially, not by the FBI, but by someone else in a -- actually a higher level of government, believe it or not, just through a coincidence, through a mutual friend, that all four of them were terrorists involved" in the 9/11 attacks.
                  phsstt!

Comment

taffy

you shouda advocated squaxter's approach to them - punch the clock, pick up a 12-pack & watch it on tv

( that's only a joke - don't take it the wrong way )

Comment

I arrived home in OKC on the redeye from Vancouver, BC, got to bed about 0300. My daughter called me immediately when the first plane hit shortly after 0900. I watched the second plane hit.
                      My eldest grandson, a sophmore at NYU was walking about a half mile north of ground zero and saw the first plane hit, ducked into a drug store and bought a disposable camera, got a picture of the second plane and a few post-impact shots then raced north trying to outrun the dust. He, a 4:20 HS miler, did not succeed in outrunning the dust but was not injured.

When the Federal Building in Oklahoma City was bombed in 1995, I must have been the last person in America to know about it. I was ten miles from downtown, on the computer and did not hear or feel anything, although all my neighbors said it rattled their windows and shook stuff on the shelves.

I turned on my TV about noon and, for a moment, thought it was a scene from a new bombing in Beirut or some other at-the-time hot spot. I hurried downtown to volunteer but the area was already cordoned off and no civilians were being admitted.

Same daughter, who worked in a high rise office building one block south, said her building swayed several feet and her office furniture was thrown across the room. The building, Luckily/miracously, no one on the ground was hit by the falling/shattering glass but some cars were dinged. ..
                      She spent the next three days in the emergency triage station set up in a building about two blocks north of the blast site.

Comment

Photos from the dedication of the Pentagon Memorial Thursday.

http://www.defenselink.mil/PhotoEssays/ ... spx?ID=924

Comment

Working...
                        X