• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 26mi235
    • Oct 2005
    • Madison, WI

Smoke:

In my mind she is associated with a very small group including Chapman and while I have probably seen a non-random set of comments, I can readily recall numerous negative things and not a single positive comment.

Right or wrong, it is also my impression that one of the reasons that the USOC was pushing to reform USATF was because of this small group.

Comment

• guru
      • Oct 2005
      • Deadwood, SD

The Hasay/Briscoe double standard at the Trials does not count in Hightower's favor.

Comment

• TrackCEO
        • Oct 2005
        • San Diego

Re: Stephanie Hightower running for USATF prez

Originally posted by gh
        Fine line between washing dirty laundry and digging through the trash.
        Indeed! Trash sends people to prison!

But the real spark plug was IRS agent Jeff Novitsky. An experienced investigator, he went after the BALCO case with dogged determination. He searched through BALCO's trash and obtained a subpoena to fish through their medical waste, where he found empty vials of the blood-boosting agent EPO and traces of human growth hormone. He sought out the best in drug testing and educated himself on how steroids were detected -- and hidden from detection.
        http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... SAD338.DTL

K E N
        K E N

Comment

• Halfmiler2
          • Oct 2005

The other rap against Hightower in addition to the Lynn Cannon accusations (see the other thread) is that she has had zero involvement in the grassroots side of the sport. Dee Jensen, on the other hand, has served both ends of the sport: for example, as the uSA member on an IAAF Committee at the elite end, and as a local Association officer at the grassroots end. I'll be voting for Jensen.

Comment

• Marlow
            • Jan 2008
            • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Originally posted by Smoke
            MJR . . . I am asking you to fill in the blanks for those informed and uninformed.
            From my cheap seat I have not seen or heard anyone more qualified.
            Rather than he said/she said, how about MJR and Smoke (or anyone that has FACTS) do indeed LIST the FACTS as they see them.

What did Hightower (or other candidates) do, specifically, to disserve the USATF? What have they done that indicates a positive vision for the sport?

After all the facts are on the table, THEN we can debate them. So far we have lots of innuendo.

Comment

• guru
              • Oct 2005
              • Deadwood, SD

Mine is an indisputable fact.

Comment

• Marlow
                • Jan 2008
                • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Originally posted by guru
                The Hasay/Briscoe double standard at the Trials does not count in Hightower's favor.
                ??!! I'm not sure that counts as a disservice to USATF. Falls more into the PR area.

Comment

• guru
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Deadwood, SD

Originally posted by Marlow
                  ??!! I'm not sure that counts as a disservice to USATF. Falls more into the PR area.

It's a disservice to USATF when you tell the athletes rules will not be applied equally. Both made the finals in their respective Trials events, Hasay got to compete, Briscoe didn't(if she wanted to keep her world Junior slot).

Just the kind of person you want as president.

Comment

• polevaultpower
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 2005
                    • A Temperate Island

Originally posted by Smoke
                    I like Stephanie because she walks in the door with assets in pocket. She has been in a similar position before outside of track and changed that industry too. We definitely need a change, and she is it in my opinion.
                    Seriously?! What changes do you see her making?

Comment

• gh
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 2005
                      • west of Westeros

Re: Stephanie Hightower running for USATF prez

Originally posted by TrackCEO
                      Originally posted by gh
                      Fine line between washing dirty laundry and digging through the trash.
                      Indeed! Trash sends people to prison!

But the real spark plug was IRS agent Jeff Novitsky. An experienced investigator, he went after the BALCO case with dogged determination. He searched through BALCO's trash and obtained a subpoena to fish through their medical waste, where he found empty vials of the blood-boosting agent EPO and traces of human growth hormone. He sought out the best in drug testing and educated himself on how steroids were detected -- and hidden from detection.
                      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... SAD338.DTL

K E N
                      thank you for so succinctly pointing out the difference between competent investigative journalism and muckraking.

Comment

• gh
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 2005
                        • west of Westeros

Originally posted by Marlow

It's a disservice to USATF when you tell the athletes rules will not be applied equally. Both made the finals in their respective Trials events, Hasay got to compete, Briscoe didn't(if she wanted to keep her world Junior slot).

Just the kind of person you want as president.
                        I have no idea as to the veracity of this story, as I only heard it on the fly during the hectic course of the OT, but it was explained to me that USATF was not prepared to let teenage kids head off to Poland alone unchaperoned (makes sense) and that the cost of rewriting an international ticket at the last minute was prohibitive (which also makes sense). So the no-date-change rule was in place.

The rest of the story (and I emphasize it's just a "story," not a journalistically-vetted fact) is that Hasay's family stepped up and filled both the chaperone and added-cost problems.

(I hasten to add that even if that story is 100% true there's no doubt that the whole OT process was filled with bizarre and flawed decisions. I'm just not sure that this is one of them.)

Comment

• gh
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 2005
                          • west of Westeros

Is the Reno get-together's agenda set yet? I'm curious as to where in the whole process the election of the president comes. In a year as contentious as this, strikes me that having it be about the first thing on the menu might not be a bad idea, or else everybody will be so consumed with it they might not get much other business done.

Of course, if they do have it first, it may mean that half the people spend the rest of the week so totally pissed off t hey don't get anything done!

Comment

• MJR
                            • Oct 2005
                            • Making content on www.youtube.com/hsracewalk

The 1st thing on the agenda is the restructuring vote. After that, the new-style or old-style board will be elected at a later point. The general framework of the Annual Mtg is on the USATF site.

Comment

• gh
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 2005
                              • west of Westeros

Not too informative at this point

http://www.usatf.org/events/2008/Annual ... hedule.asp

Comment

• polevaultpower
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 2005
                                • A Temperate Island

Originally posted by gh
                                Is the Reno get-together's agenda set yet? I'm curious as to where in the whole process the election of the president comes. In a year as contentious as this, strikes me that having it be about the first thing on the menu might not be a bad idea, or else everybody will be so consumed with it they might not get much other business done.

Of course, if they do have it first, it may mean that half the people spend the rest of the week so totally pissed off t hey don't get anything done!
                                I think the Presidential voting comes at the end. We had our Association's Annual Meeting yesterday and they made a big deal that if we were going to be delegates we needed to be there for both the opening and closing sessions.

Comment

Working...
                                X