Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Bowman becomes third USATF prez candidate

Walk honcho joins Hightower and Jensen in race to replace Bill Roe. Bowman's announcement letter now on front page.

(disclaimer, if one is needed for "conflict of interest" purposes on our part: Bob has headed up T&FN's World Rankings in the walks for almost 40 years now)

Re: Bob Bowman becomes third USATF prez candidate

Originally posted by gh
    Walk honcho joins Hightower and Jensen in race to replace Bill Roe.
    Let me display my awesome and utter ignorance (as further revealed to me by Barto's call for the annihilation of USATF): what does the Prez do besides 'adminstrate'? Isn't Logan the primary mover and shaker?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      Originally posted by gh
      Walk honcho joins Hightower and Jensen in race to replace Bill Roe.
      Let me display my awesome and utter ignorance (as further revealed to me by Barto's call for the annihilation of USATF): what does the Prez do besides 'adminstrate'? Isn't Logan the primary mover and shaker?
      Be very busy, travel a lot, be really poor (you can't be paid to be pres).

Comment

The President is the Chairman of the Board and runs the Board to whom the CEO reports. That makes him/her the top volunteer in the organization.

The other major authority of the President is to make hundreds of appointments to the various volunteer committees of USATF. This includes the chairs of administrative committees (e.g. rules, records) but not the chairs of the sport committees (e.g men's & women's track & Field) which are elected.

Comment

I'd add that while I think Bob Bowman is preferable to Stephanie Hightower, I still think Dee Jensen is the best candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            He's kind of like a "community organizer" with some duties.

Comment

If voters desire is to make sure that a given person does not win, spliting that vote given 2 other choices may well aid in the undesired one getting the position...

Comment

Aldous Huxley noted that "Those who crusade not for God in themselves, but against the evil in others, never succeed in making the world better... To be more against the devil than for God is exceedingly dangerous."

Comment

USATF has a deadline of early October for candidates to declare for office. (I think it's Oct. 3 or Oct. 4.) When the date has passed, I'll shoot a note to Sherry Quack at the Mother Ship for email contacts of the prez hopefuls.

Then I'll send each a questionnaire.

I might even ask some non-masterstrack questions!

Feel free to post your own ideas for questions here, or email them to me privately at TrackCEO (at) aol.com

(I'm hoping that I'm not the only one shooting a questionnaire to Bob, Dee and Stephanie!)

K E N
                  K E N

Comment

I've heard rumors of a fourth candidate. Sounds like quite a rumble coming up in Reno.

Comment

In case anybody was wondering who gets to vote (long; from the USATF Manual):

ARTICLE 7
                      DELEGATES AND THEIR SELECTION TO MEETINGS

The following persons shall be entitled to participate as voting delegates at USATF meetings, provided however,
                      that all delegates must be at least 18 years of age, current USATF members, and, during the annual meeting, must
                      be registered:

A.
                      Officers and Board members: The officers and the members of the USATF Board, including non-voting
                      Board members and the Counsel to the Board.

B.
                      Committee chairs: The chairs of all committees listed in Article 13-A.

C.
                      Past presidents: The past presidents of USATF.

D.
                      Association delegates: Twelve (12) delegates from each of the accredited Associations referred to in Article
                      5-C, and recognized by USATF; in addition, any accredited Association with more than one thousand (1,000)
                      individual members shall be entitled to name one (1) additional delegate for each one thousand (1,000)
                      individual members. Total Association individual members shall be determined based on the twelve (12)
                      month registration period ending on October 31st of the prior calendar year. However, an Association
                      whose membership has increased since then may petition the Organizational Services Committee seeking
                      credentials for additional delegates. Each Association’s delegation shall meet the following requirements:
                      Membership: Each of the delegates of an Association shall be a member of the Association;
                      Athletes: There shall be a minimum number of athletes (at least twenty percent (20%) of the delegates) in each delegation as set forth in the exhibits section of this handbook. If available, at least one (1)
                      such Active Athlete delegate shall be an International Athlete. The National Office shall provide the following during the month of August each year:
                      a.
                      Athlete notice: Notice to all athlete members meeting the definition of International Athlete of
                      the address and telephone number of their Association; and
                      b.
                      Association notice: Notice to each Association of those athlete members meeting the definition
                      of International Athlete who belong to that Association;
                      Such athletes who are current members of USATF shall be considered and/or have a vote (where
                      voting occurs) in the selection of athlete delegates. Athlete delegates from an Association shall be
                      offered no less funding than any other member of the Association’s delegation other than the head of
                      delegation;
                      Coaches: The number of coaches who shall be delegates is set forth in Exhibit D-1. If available, at
                      least one (1) of the coaches shall be a high school coach; and
                      Dual roles: For purposes of determining compliance with these requirements, an individual from an
                      Association may be treated as both a coach and an athlete if the individual satisfies the qualifications
                      of both. See exhibits section of this handbook for further explanation; and
                      Sport committees: Each Association shall select among its delegates at least one (1) individual to
                      represent each of its sport committees which holds an Association championship.

E.
                      Sports organizations: Ten (10) delegates named by each sports organization referred to in Article 5-D and the
                      exhibits section of this handbook and recognized by USATF.

F.
                      Other constituencies: One (1) delegate named by each organization referred to in Article 5-E, unless USATF
                      shall vote to grant such an organization a greater number of delegates which shall be reflected in the exhibits
                      section of this handbook. Notwithstanding the above, the members of the sports groups for the disabled,
                      set forth in Article 5-E and the exhibits section of this handbook, shall collectively have ten (10) delegates to
                      be allocated by the Athletics for the Disabled Committee.

G.
                      International Athletes: The members of the Athletes Advisory Committee (Article 17-C) and such additional
                      International Athlete delegates so that the number shall be at least twenty percent (20%) of the total number
                      of delegates. Such athletes shall be elected by the International Athletes using a method approved by the
                      Athletes Advisory Committee.
                      H.
                      Alternates: Alternates may be named for all delegates except the officers and directors of USATF. An
                      alternate may vote in the place of an absent delegate provided the alternate meets all of the required
                      qualifications of the absent delegate.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                        The President is the Chairman of the Board and runs the Board to whom the CEO reports. That makes him/her the top volunteer in the organization.

The other major authority of the President is to make hundreds of appointments to the various volunteer committees of USATF. This includes the chairs of administrative committees (e.g. rules, records) but not the chairs of the sport committees (e.g men's & women's track & Field) which are elected.
                        The Prez also has quite the bully pulpit should he/she choose to use it. I thought Bill Roe did an admirable job of speaking up where it was effective for him to do so. And he should get major props for being one of the major forces behind the Club Nationals efforts.

Comment

Working...
                        X