Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Venality Debate [split]

Originally posted by Marlow
    You of all people, nuanced as you are in the ways of words, should know that one denotion of the word is [quoted from Cambridge International Dictionary on-line]

A venal activity is done in order to obtain money:
    And you, Sir TOE, should know that the word has a pejorative connotation. Dictionary.com defines venality (the word you used) as: the condition or quality of being venal; openness to bribery or corruption

They cite the American Heritage Dictionary as defining venality thus:
    The condition of being susceptible to bribery or corruption.
    The use of a position of trust for dishonest gain.

They also mention the definition given by something called wordnet: prostitution of talents or offices or services for reward

And finally, the quote the definition of "Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary": The quality or state of being venal, or purchasable; mercenariness; prostitution of talents, offices, or services, for money or reward; as, the venality of a corrupt court; the venality of an official.

Originally posted by tandfman
    And you, Sir TOE, should know that the word has a pejorative connotation.
    Indeed I do, sir! But, as the user of said word, I, and only I, get to determine which meaning I meant (but of course I was hoping the other meaning would be brought to bear also! )

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      as the user of said word, I, and only I, get to determine which meaning I meant
      Are you the Red Queen?

Comment

Are you the Red Queen?
        Why? Have you lost your way? All the ways about here belong to me -- but why did you come out here at all? Curtsey while you`re thinking what to say, it saves time.

Comment

redux error

Comment

Thanks to the English Debate Team for the formal creation of points 13 & 14 in the Board Guidelines.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... 320#264320

Comment

Spoilsport!

Comment

Spoilsport!
                And out comes point 15 on the Board Guidelines.
                If there's the slightest chance your dry wit might be misinterpreted, consider throwing in a smilie.
                This is becoming a model thread :P

Comment

Working...
                X