X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    ( I refuse to watch the debate tonight - it'll just depress me that both candidates have sunk so low)
    Actually, most pre-debate analysts indicate that this should be the most civil of the three debates. The town hall format with actual real live voters asking the questions supposedly helps keep the candidates focused on the question and out of the mud.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    When I watch the campaign shenanigans ( I refuse to watch the debate tonight - it'll just depress me that both candidates have sunk so low), i get

ultrarepissed :evil:

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by malmo
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Would you believe there's a guy who's actually read the OED--the whole bleepin' thing! Twenty volumes, cover-to-cover!
    I'm unbepissed.
    No you're not. Pay attention, malmo! People around here piss on you all the time!

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    [I see now what a big mistake it was to name my 3 kids and now my 2 grandkids with the initial letter 'C'. I can't get any of their names right now! ops:
    My maternal grandmother had 13 children although not all with the same initial initial. Her solution to getting the right name was to recite their names, starting with the name of the oldest child of the appropriate sex, and stop when she hit the right name.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied
    Would you believe there's a guy who's actually read the OED--the whole bleepin' thing! Twenty volumes, cover-to-cover!
    I'm unbepissed.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    You could have just done what George Foreman did.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    He sometimes walks into a grocery store and asks the clerk where he can find the cold, white stuff, not remembering the word "milk."
    I didn't have to read the entire OED to get to that point in my life! I see now what a big mistake it was to name my 3 kids and now my 2 grandkids with the initial letter 'C'. I can't get any of their names right now! ops:

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/02/ ... iefs2C.php

The Yahoo home page this morning links to an interview where he says doing this turned him into a blithering idiot (his words, not mine). He sometimes walks into a grocery store and asks the clerk where he can find the cold, white stuff, not remembering the word "milk."

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    The on-line OED is MANDATORY for ANY thinking person. Of course it helps when your place of business buys the subscription for you. :wink: :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• George P.
    replied
    Originally posted by dakota
    Happily, I can read the compact edition of the OED without the magnifying glass, although I don't need to, because I can also read the online edition without the subscription. To be honest though I just use the two volume three thousand page "shorter" OED instead, which I have literally read from cover to cover. The benefit of the full twenty volume edition isn't so much the etymologies, it's the two and a half million usage quotations from classic literature.
    Lucky you! to be able to read the d*mn thing at all. :shock: The "compact" edition (as you know) contains everything in the 20-vol edition. It's a micro-copy of each and every page of the latter.

The "shorter" 2-vol set does not, of course, contain everything that's in the others.

The online version contains "more" than any of them, in the sense that it is updated in "real time." Nice work if you can get it for free.

Leave a comment:

• dakota
    replied
    Happily, I can read the compact edition of the OED without the magnifying glass, although I don't need to, because I can also read the online edition without the subscription. To be honest though I just use the two volume three thousand page "shorter" OED instead, which I have literally read from cover to cover. The benefit of the full twenty volume edition isn't so much the etymologies, it's the two and a half million usage quotations from classic literature.

Leave a comment:

• George P.
    replied
    Originally posted by imaginative
    Ah, I forgot that you were a succesful anachron..., ahem, capitalist ;-)
    Pretty much, though I was a soldier (not a capitalist) who tried to invest wisely over the years.

Spend 40 years doing difficult, disagreeable and (sometimes) dangerous things, and circumstances (if you're still alive) may smile upon you (though Usain Bolt could buy and sell me several times, no doubt).

Leave a comment:

• imaginative
    replied
    Originally posted by George P.
    "That large an amount" is measured differently by different folks. That's about my pinot noir bill for two months.
    Ah, I forgot that you were a succesful anachron..., ahem, capitalist ;-)

Leave a comment:

• George P.
    replied
    Originally posted by imaginative
    I have a great respect for anyone who goes the extra mile to better
    his education, and the OED-online could quite possibly be far ahead of
    the free competition. However, is it really so far ahead that someone
    who is not a linguist, professional translator, or similar could have
    a net-benefit after paying that large an amount?
    "That large an amount" is measured differently by different folks. That's about my pinot noir bill for two months.

Leave a comment:

• imaginative
    replied
    I have a great respect for anyone who goes the extra mile to better
    his education, and the OED-online could quite possibly be far ahead of
    the free competition. However, is it really so far ahead that someone
    who is not a linguist, professional translator, or similar could have
    a net-benefit after paying that large an amount? Even using just a
    mixture of wikipedia/wiktionary, http://dict.leo.org (german/english
    translation), and http://www.etymonline.com (etymology), I have my
    needs more than covered for free---and I daresay that those needs are
    a lot higher than the average (but conceivably smaller than yours).

(Add in that there are a number of other free services that may be
    even better, but which I do not use because my needs are already
    covered.)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X