Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wikipedia entry title 'Track and field athletics'?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wikipedia entry title 'Track and field athletics'?

What should be the title of wikipedia's entry be for the sport? There is an ongoing discussion about Athletics vs. Track and Field vs. Track and field athletics on the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Track ... hletics.22

Here is the entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_(track_and_field)

The current entry "Track and field athletics" is altogether wrong. The sport is properly called

Track & Field

N.B. The ampersand is mandatory!

:twisted: :!:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      N.B. The ampersand is mandatory!

nice

Comment

Re: Wikipedia entry title 'Track and field athletics'?

Originally posted by friendly
        There is an ongoing discussion about Athletics vs. Track and Field vs. Track and field athletics on the page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Track ... hletics.22
        You missed the first half of the argument:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Track ... tics#Title

Comment

Even though it has been decades since Canada changed from Track & Field to Athletics as the official name for our sport, and the federal and provincial federations therein, the vast majority of Canadians still call us Track & Field.
          Officially, we changed to be inclusive to road and cross-country running, as well as the "within the Stadium" stuff. Having said that, there have been many occasions within my time as a distance-running coach when I wish we had started our own sport of distance running that included track, road and country.

Comment

The current entry "Track and field athletics" is altogether wrong. The sport is properly called

Athletics

N.B. The ampersand is is not needed!

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy

Athletics

Obviously you are a feriner. The Athletics are a major league baseball team in Oakland.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                Obviously you are a feriner. The Athletics are a major league baseball team in Oakland.
                Zackly. The fine irony is that the LAST thing an Athletic Director thinks about is Track & Field! :twisted:

I appreciate the fact that limeys think that athletics is nothing but T&F. Here in Murka, it encompasses a wide range of other, inferior, sports also.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy

Athletics

We deal with this all the time on our Olympic databases. I prefer to call it "Track & Field Athletics" because it is more all-encompassing. To demand that we use the European style, or for us to demand that Europe use the American style is simply jingoistic hubris.

As an example, I think its wrong to call football (the world version) soccer. I also think it is wrong to call football (our version) American football.

Just as I think its wrong it call Firenze Florence, etc., which we've gone over before. Use the correct name of the sport or city. In this case, both the European and North American versions are pretty well known so I think "Track & Field Athletics" is the best compromise.

Comment

it's "athletics"---that's what it's listed as in the Olympics...

athletics being called "track & field" to me is like basketball being called "court & hoop" or football being called "field & goalpost"

(yes, I know that's an exaggeration)
                    "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
                      There is a problem with this argument - per the IOC, swimming is not a sport. Its aquatics. No Olympic historian or sports historian I know buys this syntax that they insist on. So that puts paid to your argument about using the IOC designation.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                        for us to demand that Europe use the American style is simply jingoistic hubris.
                        You say that like it's a bad thing! Isn't that what we do - demand that our way is the best (i.e., only) way? :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          for us to demand that Europe use the American style is simply jingoistic hubris.
                          You say that like it's a bad thing! Isn't that what we do - demand that our way is the best (i.e., only) way? :twisted:
                          Pretty good point - and in some things I don't think its a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
                            There is a problem with this argument - per the IOC, swimming is not a sport. Its aquatics. No Olympic historian or sports historian I know buys this syntax that they insist on. So that puts paid to your argument about using the IOC designation.
                            It goes beyond that, though. I've heard several people from other countries refer to it as "athletics." Like you, I've never heard anyone refer to swimming as "aquatics."
                            "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

[quote=Mellow Johnny]
                              Originally posted by "Mellow Johnny":xtbli8id
                              It goes beyond that, though. I've heard several people from other countries refer to it as "athletics." Like you, I've never heard anyone refer to swimming as "aquatics."[/quote:xtbli8id]

Aquatics involves both swimming and diving, just as Athletics includes each of track & field, cross-country and road running. Doesn't every non-USA country refer to the sport as Athletics? And all the facilities around here that used to be called swimming pools are now called aquatic centres.
                              It doesn't really matter of course, but both Aquatics and Athletics are meant to be more inclusive than swimming and track & field. Marlow, I hope you are noting my use of the ampersand. :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X