Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The revolution begins next year... for NoCal / SoOR

I first heard about this while watching an episode of "California's Gold" a couple months ago (those in the know will appreciate the Huell Howser reference). At first, I was confused about where the "State of Jefferson" was -- I thought maybe my Canadian education lacked knowledge of foreign geography....

At least they're not trying to leave the Union. Maybe Texas can form a list of the potential Olympians from the (future) University of Jefferson?

======================================
    A move to secede on California-Oregon border

Kevin Fagan, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, October 5, 2008

(10-05) 04:00 PDT Yreka, Siskiyou County -- Some folks around here think the economic sky is falling and state lawmakers in Sacramento and Salem are ignoring their constituents in the hinterlands.

Guess the time is ripe to create a whole new state.

That's the thinking up here along the border between California and Oregon, where 12 sparsely populated, thickly forested counties in both states want to break away and generate the 51st star on the nation's flag - the state of Jefferson.

Complete story: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... .DTL&tsp=1

Official "State of Jefferson" site: http://www.jeffersonstate.com/

Now if they were really smart, they would forget becoming the 51st state. They would be better off becoming a new country. They could call the new country "Orca". Their motto..."In whales we trust".

All sorts of possibilities here.

1. They would not be caught up in all the political BS we must suffer or suffer the economic woes of the USA..

2. No need for an Army, the USA will protect them. But they will need border security to keep us and other undesireables out.

3. 2500 miles away from NY and Wash DC mindsets

4. Government would be minimal, not maximal.

Comment

Does this mean they are withdrawing from the Republic of Cascadia?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
        They would be better off becoming a new country.
        If so, watch for an inundation of athletes to form the various national teams. Are they looking for a 16.x high hurdler?!

Comment

Browsing through the Wikipedia entry, apparently these were the choice of names for the new state:

- Orofino, Bonanza, Discontent, Jefferson, Del Curiskiyou, and Siscurdelmo.

Sounds like Jefferson was the best choice. I wonder what it would have been like to live in the State of Discontent?

Originally posted by rasb
          Does this mean they are withdrawing from the Republic of Cascadia?
          Funny you should mention that. According to Wiki, numerous other such states (both union and independent) never saw the light of day:

- State of Franklin (a chunk of eastern TN, late 1700s)
          - State of Absaroka (northern Wyoming, circa 1939)
          - Cascadia

Lots more here:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... d_entities

Comment

Hey JRM,
            As a life-time WestCoast Canuck, Cascadia is a term we are very familiar with out here. Distances and differences from Ottawa/Washington over the years has led many to discuss a "breakaway" nation that includes, in various renditions, the Pacific States, plus the Western Provinces, and maybe even Alaska (or not so much) :wink: There have been conferences involving Governors of these States and Premiers of these Provinces to discuss common issues and opportunities. That's why I was surprised to hear that Jefferson was seceding, before we are even confederated. Googling up Cascadia or the Republic thereof, makes for a bit of interesting reading.

Comment

Another bonus of Orca. Like Holland, they can be a whoopie weed country. Americans would travel there by the bunches. Could finance the entire country of Orca.

BTW: lots of weed grown there now so no ag school required.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Slocombe
                Another bonus of Orca. Like Holland, they can be a whoopie weed country. Americans would travel there by the bunches. Could finance the entire country of Orca.

BTW: lots of weed grown there now so no ag school required.
                That sounds about right. Apparently, BC Bud is our largest industry now.
                I think a condition of confederation should be that the Bridge to Nowhere is replaced by a Bridge to Honolulu.

Comment

Official newspaper of the State of Jefferson

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Comment

Um, does the Jefferson flag remind anyone of a certain Mexican brew?

Comment

State of Jefferson is a great band. If they come around your area, you should check them out. They're out of Ashland, Oregon btw.
                      "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Working...
                      X