Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grown up politics...

Wouldn't it be nice if American political candidates of all stripes actually behaved like adults and intelligently, accurately discussed facts, issues, and realistic alternatives? Is that too much to ask ? (That's a rhetorical question. Unfortunately, I know the answer...)

Re: grown up politics...

Originally posted by jhc68
    Wouldn't it be nice if American political candidates of all stripes actually behaved like adults and intelligently, accurately discussed facts, issues, and realistic alternatives?
    The sad thing is that that's what they once did, not all that long ago.

Comment

Re: grown up politics...

Originally posted by tandfman
      Originally posted by jhc68
      Wouldn't it be nice if American political candidates of all stripes actually behaved like adults and intelligently, accurately discussed facts, issues, and realistic alternatives?
      The sad thing is that that's what they once did, not all that long ago.
      I disgree, politics has always been brutal, dirty and full of lies and broken promises. How soon we forget.

Comment

There may be some truth to what you say, but I do recall a time when the level of political discourse was generally higher than it is today.

Comment

There may be some truth to what you say, but I do recall a time when the level of political discourse was generally higher than it is today.
          That was probably before the Internet, which allows anonymous yahoos to troll the depths of discourse with impunity.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            That was probably before the Internet, which allows anonymous yahoos to troll the depths of discourse with impunity.
            I agree 100%

Comment

One could argue that it wasn't the Internet that doomed the intelligent discussion of political issues--it was television.

Comment

I was referring to exchanges between the principals but the internet has afforded previously unavailable equal opportunity to get really down and dirty, more or less anonymously, in slandering the opposition.

Some of the dirt will be true. The best you can do is not be swayed by hope that it is not true about your guy/gal.

This will be my 15th Presidential election in which to vote. Every one of them escalated beyond civility by both parties.. That is politics.

Comment

Working...
                X