• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Pego
    Originally posted by paulthefan

I often regret what I key in and this is one of those cases. Posts of that type can easily offend. Sorry.
    Let me just ask you this, Paul. Are you saying that a mere suggestion of an idea leaving room to a debate is offensive, or did I misunderstand?
    no, you were right. There should always be room for debate.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    paul, I do not see anything controversial or offensive about your post. It was just a valid observation. My comment was just another observation that any religious or political thread on here inevitably goes downhill as posters reveal their convictions in a manner which does offend those of equally passionate but diametric conviction.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Each point could be theologically/historically debatable, but such debate would not be appropriate to this forum. Unfortunately, I should add :wink: .
    True, Pego, . Some time back I offered an informed, neither supportive or condemning post regarding Islam and it was zapped.
    Which is ok. It has been demonstated here that it is impossible to prevent disentegration of any political or religous thread.
    I often regret what I key in and this is one of those cases. Posts of that type can easily offend. Sorry.
    Let me just ask you this, Paul. Are you saying that a mere suggestion of an idea leaving room to a debate is offensive, or did I misunderstand?

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Each point could be theologically/historically debatable, but such debate would not be appropriate to this forum. Unfortunately, I should add :wink: .
    True, Pego, . Some time back I offered an informed, neither supportive or condemning post regarding Islam and it was zapped.
    Which is ok. It has been demonstated here that it is impossible to prevent disentegration of any political or religous thread.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    There are countless points of difference which may have eluded edrick the erudite. All religions that prosper act as governing agents for the natural/carnal/animal passions of man. Those that do not perform this basic function tend to be flash in the pan fads. The theological differences between christianity and islam lead to the two religions having major differences in practice. There are the differences in prohibitions and the enforcement of prohibitions. For instance taking more than one wife in Islam is more than accepted, it is severely frowned upon in christendom. Drinking is not prohibited in christendom, nor smoking, nor even gambling. The excess of these are only frowned apon.

Leave a comment:

• ponytayne
    replied
    Re: Dancing is STILL the Devil's Work?

Originally posted by Marlow
    great to see such deep, insightful and thought provoking posts.
    Sorry - we can't all produce breathless facts of significa:
    I didnt mean to include your post in that, it was the one after yours that was weird.
    So, it was my post that was "weird?" I was responding to a person (Marlow) who lives in the same town as I grew up in, somewhat refuting his assertion that southern baptists are dancin' fools, with my own experiences (in that same town) of baptists being strongly against dancing. And if i read the title of the thread correctly, this is a thread about religion shunning dancing. So, how was my post weird? Perhaps you could have read it, thought whatever you wanted, and not responded, since your criticism of my post was clearly on-topic.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied

Originally posted by eldrick
    Originally posted by gh
    A product of your sheltered life.

Conservative Baptists, for example, say no dancing (religionfacts.com)...
    when you look at it, you wonder why there is so much religious strife in the world - these conservative christians have virtually same restrictions as muslims ( apart from pork )

imagine a theoretical scenario where both communities lived together in a country - they'd be in near perfect harmony - no booze/smokes/gambling/lasciviousness - i'd imagine their preachers woud get on like a house on fire ( & probably take each other's sermons ! ) ! :wink:
    There are countless points of difference which may have eluded edrick the erudite. All religions that prosper act as governing agents for the natural/carnal/animal passions of man. Those that do not perform this basic function tend to be flash in the pan fads. The theological differences between christianity and islam lead to the two religions having major differences in practice. There are the differences in prohibitions and the enforcement of prohibitions. For instance taking more than one wife in Islam is more than accepted, it is severely frowned upon in christendom. Drinking is not prohibited in christendom, nor smoking, nor even gambling. The excess of these are only frowned apon. Walking around without a veil or with a veil will not get you killed anywhere in christendom, it could really ruin your day in many parts of Islam.

I didnt mean to include your post in that, it was the one after yours that was weird.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

one of the greatest cameo appearances of an athlete in a movie was that of Armstrong in dodgeball.

Leave a comment:

• El Toro
    replied

Here's another one

Q: Why don't Baptists f#*k standing up?

A: Because it might lead to dancing!

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied

Originally posted by gh
    A product of your sheltered life.

Conservative Baptists, for example, say no dancing (religionfacts.com)...
    when you look at it, you wonder why there is so much religious strife in the world - these conservative christians have virtually same restrictions as muslims ( apart from pork )

imagine a theoretical scenario where both communities lived together in a country - they'd be in near perfect harmony - no booze/smokes/gambling/lasciviousness - i'd imagine their preachers woud get on like a house on fire ( & probably take each other's sermons ! ) ! :wink:

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Keeps me coming back.

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied

Originally posted by ponytayne
    Originally posted by gh
    Conservative Baptists, for example, say no dancing
    Jax is crawling with conservative Baptists, and guess what, they dance.
    Marlow, having grown up in Jax, I can safely say that ...........
    And your assessment of Jax crawling .....

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I'm not sure whether this belongs here or on the "good economic news" thread but it appears that, at least for the time being, the lap dancing business is recession-proof.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... -with-art/

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I even flunked the Twist. In fact, I could never keep a Hula Hoop going more than two revolutions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X