• Show
Clear All

• Remember the Smothers Brothers?

Couple of good reads here about the censorship of their show

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 002&sc=447

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 01&sc=1000

Re: Remember the Smothers Brothers?

Originally posted by gh

Without having read the links yet, I remember the writers on that show were an incredible example of a who's who of talent: John Byner, Bob "Super Dave Osborn", etc.

I forget, didn't George Carlin first do "The Hippy-Dippy Weatherman" on their show...? And I can't remember the actor who did the hilarious Flower Girl bit...

[Read link]

...and there she is!!

Also of note: writer Rob Reiner and actor Sally Strothers went from there to playing "The Meathead and Gloria" on "All in the Family."

Thanks for the heads-up on the TV special, gh.

Comment

An absolute "not to be missed" show from that time period. Thanks, gh.
      And, "mom always liked you best"

Comment

My fondest Smothers moment has nothing to do w/ controversy: was the night they showed the North American debut of arguably the greatest song ever, Hey Jude, copy of a BBC telecast w/ McCartney at the piano surrounded by kids. Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Comment

I move to Hollywood in the late 70's and my friend flew down to watch "our" Raiders win the superbowl. One nite we went out to a club so my friend could go back home and say he meet someone famous. Yes we had been drinking and our victim setting alone at the bar...Tommie Smothers. And yes as the cliche goes he couldnt have been nicer.
          phsstt!

Comment

I remember that they nearly blowed up the Who real good during one episode of the Smothers Brothers.

from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smothers_Brothers

"The performance by The Who was another defining moment in the series. As they often did during that period, The Who destroyed their instruments at the conclusion of their performance. However, a stage hand, at the request of the band, had overloaded Keith Moon's kick drum with explosives. When they were detonated, the explosion was so intense, Moon was injured by cymbal shrapnel and, allegedly, Pete Townshend's hearing was permanently damaged."

cman :shock: :P

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
              I remember that they nearly blowed up the Who real good during one episode of the Smothers Brothers.
              .... the request of the band, had overloaded Keith Moon's kick drum with explosives. When they were detonated, the explosion was so intense, Moon was injured by cymbal shrapnel and, allegedly, Pete Townshend's hearing was permanently damaged."
              a great band at its worst.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Dick mentioned he ran some half miles in h.s. and at one time their web site showed a picture of Dick in what looked like a San Jose State singlet.
                When questioned about his times ( some 20 years later in `78 ) Dick said he did not remember,even gentle prodding got no ballpark #s.
                Tom Hyland:
                "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle
                  Dick mentioned he ran some half miles in h.s. . . Dick said he did not remember,even gentle prodding got no ballpark #s.
                  I don't know about his 880s, but I have it on good authority he was a 4:30 HS Miler! :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    Originally posted by wineturtle
                    Dick mentioned he ran some half miles in h.s. . . Dick said he did not remember,even gentle prodding got no ballpark #s.
                    I don't know about his 880s, but I have it on good authority he was a 4:30 HS Miler! :wink:

If Tommie couldn't break 5:00, maybe that's why Mom always liked Dickie best.

Comment

I remember the Smothers Brothers well.. I remember when they were censored or whatever happened but can't remember what the controversary was about.

Comment

Brother Act

Controversy involved CBS receiving pressure from sponsors, particularly in response to an anti-war song called "Waist Deep In The Big Muddy", and Negro comic Bill Cosby's routine about a conversation between Noah and God. According to Paley and the brass at the Tiffany Network, the bros. kept violating contracted censorship agreements.

Comment

Tommy Smothers and Cosby didn't get along; not sure he was ever on the show. I know that David Steinberg did a routine about Moses and the burning bush that caused trouble on the show.

Comment

Working...
                          X