Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great weekend for UVic...

Just wanted to give a shout out to the University of Victoria Vikes (British Columbia - Canada), and the Victoria sporting community.
    This weekend, the Vikes won the National University title in Women's Field Hockey, again. Also, both the Men's and Women's Soccer Teams won the Canada West Championships (Canada West is all of the University Teams west of the Ontario/Manitoba border). The Men's Basketball team, which has won more National Titles than any other in Canada, went 4-0 in pre-season, with a victory over arch-rival Simon Fraser University.
    The Cross-Country teams, which have won 13 National Titles, are off to Nationals next weekend.
    Steve Nash, who never competed for Uvic, but often trained there as a high school student, led the Phoenix Suns to a victory. Actually, Steve was able to sneak in and shoot "after hours", because he knew which door would be left unlocked.
    Residents such as Jon Brown, Simon Whitfield, Gary Reed, were not competing this weekend.
    What a great town, to be a sports fan.....what do you think, mojo?

I have an aunt and a cousin who live in Victoria; can I claim secondary vibes? :-)

Comment

That's a lot more success than we are having down here in Seattle. The ONLY positive sports thing right now is the UW women's cross country team.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I have an aunt and a cousin who live in Victoria; can I claim secondary vibes? :-)
        Of course, gh. An (ex) Canuckian with relatives here is entitled to all benefits.
        And PNW amigos from Seattle, etc., can also share.
        I forgot to mention the Men's Rowing Eights who won the gold in Beijing, Ryan Cochrane with a bronze in the pool, and the fact that most of the Canadian rugby team lives and trains here too. Obviously, this area has the best climate in Canada for outdoor training year around, and sports such as field hockey, soccer, rugby, triathlon, rowing, distance runniing, cycling are taking full advantage. The legacy program from the 1994 Commonwealth Games, the Pacific Sports Centre, is also very helpful. And the University has been solid in support for the Sports they have chosen to excel in.

Comment

Don't forget ultramarathoner, Al Howie.

cman

Comment

Working...
          X