Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Crichton Dies

Whatever you thought of his politics, which I thought were nutty in the last few years, I really liked his books. At least until State of Fear.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... n-dies/?hp

The man came up with some great material for movies!

Westworld
    Twister
    Timeline
    The Terminal Man
    The Andromeda Strain
    The 13th Warrior
    Runaway
    Jurassic Park
    Coma

Comment

Crichton's death follows closely after the loss of Tony Hillerman and Studs Terkel.

The three of them combined sold an awful lot of books and told some fabulous stories. Studs' tall tales were mostly oral histories but were often as compelling and dramatic as the Crichton and Hillerman novels. Lots of great reading from this trio.

Comment

any details on the cause of death... while I was not a huge fan of his stuff, I did like his politics in the later years.
        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
          any details on the cause of death... while I was not a huge fan of his stuff, I did like his politics in the later years.
          lung cancer

Comment

NY Times obit at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/06/books/06crichton.html

Comment

IMO, it was kinda downhill for him after The Andromeda Strain, but I did read a few, JP, Timeline (underrated) and I have Prey on the read pile (for about 2 years). He kinda got a little :shock: to the right, but his choice. My choice is mostly not to read his stuff.

Comment

I read almost all of Crichton's and Hillerman's works as well as a few of Stud's- all while I was not watching television.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                  IMO, it was kinda downhill for him after The Andromeda Strain
                  I have not read much of his work but his ideas, with respect to biology, were quite clever in Jurassic Park.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy

I have not read much of his work but his ideas, with respect to biology, were quite clever in Jurassic Park.
                    Take good care of yourself.

Comment

His best book is Travels, a collection of his personal experiences. It's his only book I've read more than once.

Comment

Working...
                      X