Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBCU/track/football

This from another site where a buddy of mine brought this to my attention knowing my passion for the topic. Just thought I'd share 8-)

All-time HBCU football team

Offense

WR: Jerry Rice, Mississippi Valley State (1981-85)
    Rice played a wide-open style of offense with coach Archie Cooley and quarterback Willie Totten, who is now the head coach of the Delta Devils. In his senior year, Rice caught 100 passes for 1,845 yards and scored 28 touchdowns. He teamed up with John Taylor and quarterback Joe Montana to form a great passing combination with the San Francisco 49ers in the NFL.

T: Jackie Slater, Jackson State (1972-76)
    Slater was one of the best offensive linemen to ever play in the SWAC. He was a three-time all-conference selection.

G: Rayfield Wright, Fort Valley State (1963-67)
    Wright had great athleticism, playing tight end and offensive tackle in college. He was a seventh-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys in the 1967 NFL draft. Two years ago, he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

C: Woody Peoples, Grambling State (1964-68)
    Peoples was one of Eddie Robinson's best offensive linemen. He played on the Philadelphia Eagles' 1981 Super Bowl team.

G: Larry Little, Bethune-Cookman (1964-68)
    Little is the greatest pulling guard in the history of the game. It's hard to believe he was undrafted, but he played for the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins.

T: Art Shell, Maryland State (now Maryland-Eastern Shore) (1964-68)
    Shell played center and defensive tackle his first two years with the Hawks. He spent his last two seasons as a two-way tackle. He and the late Gene Upshaw were a great blocking combination with the Oakland Raiders.

WR: Bob Hayes, Florida A&M (1960-64)
    An Olympic champion sprinter, Hayes was known as the "World's Fastest Human." He was a pretty good wide receiver, too. He could run past any defender and developed into a great receiver under Jake Gaither, Florida A&M's legendary coach. He also starred for the Dallas Cowboys.

TE: Raymond Chester, Morgan State (1966-70)
    Chester had the size and speed to run deep routes, which most tight ends weren't doing at the time. The 6-foot-3, 230-pounder could also catch passes in traffic. In 1970, Chester was a first-round pick of the Oakland Raiders.

QB: Doug Williams, Grambling State (1974-78)
    Williams was a first-team All-American and finished fourth in Heisman Trophy voting in 1978. During his college career, he passed for 8,411 yards and 93 touchdowns. In 1988, Williams had the greatest day of his NFL career when he led the Washington Redskins to victory over the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXII.

RB: Walter Payton, Jackson State (1971-75)
    Payton rushed for 3,563 yards in four years at Jackson State. It was in college that Payton picked up his nickname "Sweetness" because of the smooth way he ran. He had a great career with the Chicago Bears. The Hall of Famer is one of the NFL's all-time leading rushers.

RB: Leroy Kelly, Morgan State (1960-64)
    Kelly was a running back who ran with power and speed. He was one of the best running backs in HBCU football. He was an eighth-round pick of the Cleveland Browns. Kelly eventually replaced the great Jim Brown.

Defense

DL: Willie Davis, Grambling State (1952-56)
    Davis was one of the greatest players to ever play at Grambling State. He had outstanding quickness and athletic ability. He ended up having a Hall of Fame career with the Green Bay Packers.

DL: Buck Buchanan, Grambling State (1959-63)
    Buchanan was an NAIA All-American with the Tigers. He could bat down passes with either hand, play the run and rush the passer. He is one of four G-Men in the Hall of Fame.

DL: Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Tennessee State (1970-74)
    Jones, a 6-9 pass rusher, lived up to his nickname. He was the most dominating defensive player in the nation, and was the first player selected overall by the Dallas Cowboys in the 1974 NFL draft.

DL: Deacon Jones, South Carolina State/Mississippi Vocational (1958-60)
    If they had kept statistics for sacks, Jones' playing career would have been off the charts. His strength and quickness terrorized offensive linemen and caused nightmares for quarterbacks.

LB: Willie Lanier, Morgan State (1963-67)
    They called him "Contact" with the Kansas City Chiefs because of his tackling ability. Lanier was a two-time small college All-American. He played for the great Earl Banks at Morgan State and was one of the first blacks to play middle linebacker.

LB: Robert Brazile, Jackson State (1971-75)
    Brazile was best known for his pass-rushing ability from the linebacker position. He was a real playmaking linebacker who could go sideline to sideline and is one of the greatest players to ever come out of Jackson State.

LB: Isiah Robertson, Southern (1967-71)
    Robertson was a consensus All-American. He had a sensational senior year, picking up 112 total tackles. He also had a 102-yard interception return for a touchdown against Grambling State.

CB: Willie Brown, Grambling State (1959-63)
    There weren't many quarterbacks who threw in Willie Brown's direction. He had a Hall of Fame career with the Oakland Raiders.

S: Ken Houston, Prairie View A&M (1963-67)
    Houston was an All-American who made everything look easy. The 6-3 defender had the range and speed to cover top receivers.

S: Mel Blount, Southern (1966-70)
    Blount, an All-American, was a great one-on-one defender. He played on four Super Bowl championship teams with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

CB: Johnny Sample, Maryland State (1954-58)
    Sample was a terrific defensive back in the NFL. He was a fierce hitter who also played running back at Maryland State. He was the first player from an HBCU to play in the College All-Star Game held in Chicago.

P: Greg Coleman, Florida A&M (1972-76)
    Coleman was one of the first few African-Americans to play in the NFL. He is one of the greatest punters in HBCU history and had a 12-year NFL career. Ten of those seasons were with the Minnesota Vikings.

K: Cedric Oglesby, South Carolina State (1996-2000)
    Oglesby was one of the top place-kickers in the MEAC. He won many games for the Bulldogs with his foot.

KR: Alvin Haymond, Southern (1960-64)
    Haymond was a crafty kick returner. He knew how to find the open spaces in kickoff coverage, and was also explosive in the open field.

PR: John Taylor, Delaware State (1983-86)
    Taylor did it all in college. He was a brilliant wide receiver who earned All-MEAC honors during his career. His career totals include 100 receptions for 2,426 yards and 33 touchdowns, four rushing touchdowns, 339 yards rushing and four punts returned for TDs.

Head coach: Eddie Robinson, Grambling State (1941-97)
    Robinson spent 56 years at Grambling State. He put together an overall 408-165-15 record and sent more than 200 players to the NFL.

---------
    Not sure if this is based more on college or pro career.

On defense, I might put Michael Strahan (TSU) and over Too Tall Jones. Ever heard of Rich "Tombstone" Jackson from Southern? Short career, but some say was better than Deacon Jones.

Doug Williams has the Super Bowl ring, but wasn't Steve McNair better in college and pro?

Brutal Posted: Nov 13 2008, 09:23 PM

Cool..

Jackson was a monster as a Denver Bronco.

I hate to do this but we can't go with Hayes. The receiver opposite Rice would be Jackson States Harold Jackson. He catch more for more yards and scored more than the Bullet. A 9.4 trackster also.

McNair should get the nod over Williams also. Gotta have Southern's Aenas Williams there on the D.

We gotta at least mention the great Willie Galimore outta Florida A&M. One of the first really fast backs with that elusiveness. Help recruit Hayes to FAMU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX56hikHW6g

I'd also have to go with Nolan "Super Gnat" Smith outta Tennesse State as my kick returner, all 5-6 160 pounds of him. Galimore was killed in a car wreck, he was trying to get to a TV set to watch Hayes in the Oly 100m finals.

It was Paul "Tank" Younger who started it all....

paste

Paul Lawrence "Tank" Younger (June 25, 1928 in Grambling, Louisiana – September 15, 2001 in Inglewood, California) was a fullback and linebacker in the National Football League from 1949 through 1958. He played college football for Grambling State University, was the first NFL player from a predominantly black college, and was the first African American to become an NFL front-office administrator (scout and executive with the Rams until 1975).

At Grambling, Younger started off as a tackle, but Coach Eddie Robinson soon recognized that Younger’s skills better suited him to play in the offensive backfield and at linebacker. Younger earned the nickname "Tank" by deftly plowing over countless would-be tacklers. In 1945, as a freshman, Younger led the nation in scoring with 25 touchdowns. In his junior year, he rushed for 1,207 yards and scored 18 touchdowns. Younger also completed 43 of 73 pass attempts, 11 for touchdowns. When he graduated in 1948, his NCAA career total of 60 touchdowns (scored mostly on punt returns and end-around plays) was an all-time record. After his senior season, he was voted Black College Football's Player of the Year and named a member of the 1948 Pittsburgh Courier All-America team.

Undrafted by an NFL team, Younger signed with the Los Angeles Rams as a free agent and became the first NFL player from an HBCU. He was a member of the Rams renowned "Bull Elephant" backfield (with "Deacon" Dan Towler and Dick Hoerner), and he is the sixth-leading rusher in Rams history with 3,296 yards.

In his ten-year professional career with the Rams and the Pittsburgh Steelers, Younger was named to the Pro Bowl four times (1951, 1952, 1953, and 1955), rushed for 3640 yards on 770 carries, caught 100 passes for 1167 yards, scored 35 touchdowns (34 rushing, 1 receiving), and intercepted three passes on defense (also throwing an interception on his only NFL pass attempt). He was the first black player to play in an NFL All-Star Game and became the league's first black assistant general manager (with the San Diego Chargers, 1975-1987). In 2000, Younger was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IMN Posted: Nov 14 2008, 07:53 AM

A few other names for consideration. I'm guessing these guys had better NFL than college careers. And surprisingly, only Stallworth would be an "old-timer".

Richard Dent - Tennessee State
    John Stallworth - Alabama A&M
    Shannon Sharpe - Savannah State (I didn't know this was an HBCU)
    Greg Lloyd - Fort Vally State (didn't know this was HBCU either)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brutal Posted: Nov 14 2008, 08:10 AM

I spoke too soon about Harold Jackson. Actually we'd have to go with Hall of Famer Charlie Joiner (Grambling) and then Hall of Famer Stallworth. We also can't ignore these HBCU receivers.......

Otis Taylor...Prairie View/Cheifs
    Ken Burrough...Texas So/Oilers..yep good old..00. (9.4 guy)
    Harold Carmichael...Southern U/Eagles
    Charley Smith...Grambling/Eagles
    Sammy White...Grambling/Vikings
    Willie Richarson...Jackson St/Colts
    Warren Wells...Texas So/Raiders
    Charles Frazier...Texas So/Oilers (9.4 guy)
    Homer Jones...Tex So/Giants....gets credit for orginating the spike. Once beat Hayes in a 200, a 9.3 guy.
    Frank Pitts...Southern U/Cheifs
    Willie McGee...Alcorn/Chargers...9.1WR.
    Jimmy Smith...Jackson St/Jags

Hell might as well....

Clem Daneils...Prairie View/Raiders...first Raider to gain a 1000yds in a season
    Willie Ellison...Texas Southern/Rams...1000yder
    Emerson Boozer...Maryland Eastern Shore/Jets
    Stone Johnson...Grambling/Cheifs....a 1960 200m Olympian and former WR holder. Would die from injuries sustained in a preseason game. Fast running back!
    Leslie "Speedy" Duncan...Jackson St/Chargers
    Essex Johnson...Grambling/Bengals
    Mack "The Truck" Lee Hill....Southern U/Cheifs...the most powerful back I've ever seen. Career avg of 5.2 running between the tackles!!!!!!!! He would die on the operating table during a knee surgery. What a loss!

We can't leave Hall of Famer Lem Barney ...Jackson St/Lions off that D. He'd replace Sample.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone interested in visiting that site let me know. Great place to talk speed and football. What the hell, here ya go...

http://z15.invisionfree.com/SprintZone/ ... topic=2651

Pretty awesome all-star team

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
      Pretty awesome all-star team
      The HBCU could also field a great track team.

Comment

Great piece of work, Texas!

Comment

I know Tex knows more than I do on this but one name that comes to mind is Willie Galimore.
          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
            Great piece of work, Texas!
            It's always been one of my pet interests. Really not sure why but hey.. :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
              I know Tex knows more than I do on this but one name that comes to mind is Willie Galimore.
              Click on the youtube link above, there's Willie the wisp doing his thang.

The first televised NFL game I remember watching was a Bears vs Giants game. There was old Y.A.Title QBing the G-Men and there was Willie Galimore blowing me away with those darting, jack rabbit runs. Made a huge impact on me. I had to be a running back, That was around 62/63. I did play rb in high school, maybe not like Willie Galimore however...hahaha!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
                And his son was an Olympic athlete in what sport and what year? No looking it up.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                  Originally posted by Texas
                  And his son was an Olympic athlete in what sport and what year? No looking it up.
                  gymnastics, and I'm guessing it was '96. Can't remember if dad was still alive at the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X