Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Singers of All Time"

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/covers ... 2/page/103

Neat to see the handwritten picks by some of the members of the panel that selected the list:

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gall ... s_inside_t

Best pipes (tho I can't name a song I like by any of them), random order

1. CĂ©line Dion
    2. Linda Ronstadt
    3. Mariah Carey
    4. Chirstina Aguilera
    5. Barbra Streisand

The only guy I can think of that sounds good in anything is - Phil Collins.
    I really don't like the crooner du jour - Josh Groban

Comment

Whats the blooming criteria? Power, range,style,originality?

Its like when people dis Die Hard with a Vengance, of course its not great art but for its genre and for what its attempting to do its pure perfection.

See Marlow, not everyone thinks your a complete idiot!
      phsstt!

Comment

Maybe not the Greatest singer of all-time but British session singer Tony Burrows did have three hits simultaneously...with three different groups.

Twisted Tales: Singer Tony Burrows Is a One-Hit Wonder Five Times

"In Britain, the beloved BBC TV music countdown show 'Top of the Pops' would weekly feature a performance (usually lip-synced) of several of the bands currently inhabiting the Top 20 U.K. singles chart. On a February 1970 edition of the program, three of the hit groups invited to mime along to their current smash were Brotherhood of Man ('United We Stand'), White Plains ('My Baby Loves Loving') and Edison Lighthouse ('Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes'). When Brotherhood of Man were announced, out came Tony Burrows to sing the hit song. After completion, he strolled offstage to make room for another act, White Plains -- who just happened to be represented by Burrows, who once again took his place in front of the microphone. At the show's conclusion, when the No. 1 hit was finally announced, chart-toppers Edison Lighthouse were invited up to perform -- and, yes, it was Tony Burrows once more."

cman

Comment

Fabulous trivia! And I'm stunned to note that none of those three songs is on Rhino's 9-disc British Invasion set. I woulda bet my pink they were.

Comment

Although most baby-boomers know all those tunes, I'd never heard the name Tony Burrows until now ! Burrows vocals are great but the songs themselves are of those insidious types that stick in one's mind all day long... Oh, Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes and Nobody Knows but Me... ad nauseum!

Tough to argue with many of those top 100 picks. I'd not have Cobain on the list. Tina Turner should be subbed in instead, simply based on "A Fool in Love" and "I Think Its Gonna Work Out Fine".

And I'm not sure that Tom Waits can really be regarded as a singer -- he belongs in some other category.

And Nina Simone should definitely be in the top 10.

Comment

After watching Sons Of Anarchy last night and hearing Audra Mae's cover of Forever Young, she's def. of my to-be-watched list.

It's findable on youtube.

Comment

Tina Turner is my alltime fav. female singer. She has it all, style, pipes,soul, charisma, sexy as hell. Great songs.I love her. She would be on my top 5 alltime. Im convinced the only reason people make lists is to enjoy the arguments.
                phsstt!

Comment

None of my favorite women are there. In no specific order:

Joan Baez
                  Judy Collins
                  Nanci Griffith
                  Loreena McKennit
                  Emmy Lou Harris

Comment

Best I've seen live are:

Sinead O'Connor
                    Joan Armatrading
                    Annie Lennox

David Bowie
                    Bono
                    Robert Plant

Comment

How can we ignore...

Little Milton
                      Delbert McClinton
                      Little Willie John
                      Keb Mo
                      Johnny Copeland
                      Luther Allison

Then there's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZyjSuOrRBw

Comment

Oops, I see on a second look that Tina T. is on the list. Seems like women get slighted, though. My quick count is only 22 or the 100 are female.

Seems like Jeff Buckley and Tim Buckley ought to be counted together as one entry: father/son genius with extraordinarily short lives/careers.

Also, what about Mary J.Blige... she has dynamite talent and stage presence but her choice of song (IMHO) is awful. I only like her covers and duets.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          None of my favorite women are there. In no specific order:

Joan Baez
                          Judy Collins
                          Nanci Griffith
                          Loreena McKennit
                          Emmy Lou Harris
                          Loreena is a goddess, Garry, she just put out a x-mas c/d and its awesume!
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            Tina Turner is my alltime fav. female singer. She has it all, style, pipes,soul, charisma, sexy as hell. Great songs.I love her. She would be on my top 5 alltime. Im convinced the only reason people make lists is to enjoy the arguments.
                            That's odd, because I've always thought that Tina (and Janis Joplin) had rusty pipes but superb 'style'. They are highly entertaining (and soulful), but the objective clarity of their singing was, to be rude, rather muddy. Joe Cocker is the male extreme - I love his singing, but his voice is actually . . . bad. Oh, and Rod Stewart too.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                              That's odd, because I've always thought that Tina (and Janis Joplin) had rusty pipes but superb 'style'. They are highly entertaining (and soulful), but the objective clarity of their singing was, to be rude, rather muddy. Joe Cocker is the male extreme - I love his singing, but his voice is actually . . . bad. Oh, and Rod Stewart too.
                              I guess it depends on your defination of pipes. Tina can really belt it out although its not a clear sound. I guess we could call her a rusty pipe singer.

Joe is a human freak who is on my top 5 alltime male vocalist but i wouldnt describe him has having pipes!
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X