Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys wont understand an oldtimer but here goes:

on the female side I prefer perfection:
    Patsy Cline ( when she was young, "walkin after midnight, none quite like her)
    Aretha Franklin
    Dolly Parton (Be still my heart)
    Emmylou Harris
    Sara Brightman (Time to Say ..)
    (too many others to name)

on the male side I prefer characteristic hard grissly voices:
    Enrico Caruso
    George Jones
    Johnny Cash
    Ray Charles
    Mick Jagger
    (If I were more of a man I could handle Barry White)

Elton John and Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder and Elvis Presley are a few of the greats by conventional measures. (lots more fit here)

Voices like Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson, are absolutely incredible, marvelous, epic. (these 2 should be on any list of great voices)
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
      And how can Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney be ahead of David Bowie? He's by far the best of the Brits
      never rated bowie much

as for jagger, he's possibly best brit rock singer of all-time - his '60s recordings of "paint it black" & "satisfaction" are as good as rock gets it

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
        Originally posted by eldrick
        grace slick

no one is close
        Eldrick, we must think alike. After I wrote that, I was thinking I should have added Grace Slick to my list. Great choice.
        she was born 35+y too late

if she was around now, she'd wipe the floor with Aguilera, Winehouse, Pink, Duffy, etc, with 1 hand tied behind her back & be a multi, multi millionaire

Comment

So Bob Dylan is the 7th best singer of all time and Ella Fitzgerald isn't in the Top 100??? :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            Originally posted by gh
            None of my favorite women are there. In no specific order:

Joan Baez
            Judy Collins
            Nanci Griffith
            Loreena McKennit
            Emmy Lou Harris
            Loreena is a goddess, Garry, she just put out a x-mas c/d and its awesume!
            Back in '94, I had a chat with Loreena in a Stratford, Onatrio pub. I've liked her music since her debut album (Elemental). I'm a bit miffed about the latest release, though: a few new songs, and a rehash of "A Winter Garden" (from 1995). Hmph.

Anyway, I agree with most of gh's list as well, especially Baez and Collins. I note that Patsy Cline did make the list. Strange that Paul Simon isn't there, but maybe he was just a better writer than vocalist...

Comment

Garfunkel had by far the better voice, to my ear.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                So Bob Dylan is the 7th best singer of all time and Ella Fitzgerald isn't in the Top 100??? :shock:
                Im sure Bob himself would be just as shocked.

Is there not one track and field olympic gold medalist that someone can nominate for this list?... of course there is
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Originally posted by Per Andersen
                  Greatest I ever saw live: Sarah Vaughn, Cleo Laine and Lou Rawls.
                  Current fave has to be Diana Krall.

bambam! Sissel Kyrkjebø is from my hometown of Bergen, Norway. Terrific voice!
                  And when I was in Bergen in 1991 I bought a CD of hers! (and one of Arve Tellefsen as well). I love Vestland, Vestland.
                  I see I must give her a closer hearing. All I have is X-mas songs that friends in Bergen have sent us over the years. Besides, there is a tendency in Bergen to believe that everything from that city must be great.
                  Even I did not think it was possible to live anywhere else in Norway until was 20 :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                    Originally posted by gh
                    Don't forget Nixon as Natalie Wood in West Side Story as well
                    NPR's Fresh Air had an interview with Nixon a while back, and talked about making West Side Story. Apparently no one told Wood that they weren't going to use her singing while they made the movie and when Wood found out she didn't handle it very well.

Another great female singer they forgot about was Jo Stafford, who just died a few months ago.
                    It is Dubbed By Marni Nixon afternoon on Turner Classic Movies.
                    http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=208994

cman

Comment

I'll have to declare my total cluelessness of pop music. At least 80% of names listed above I've never even heard of.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                        I'll have to declare my total cluelessness of pop music. At least 80% of names listed above I've never even heard of.
                        Ah yes, but we've never heard of your favorites either:

Anik Ctvrtnk
                        Vaclav Krz
                        Edo Jezck
                        Jur Krejk
                        Ota Vlck
                        Zlatan Strnd

so there.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          Originally posted by Pego
                          Ah yes, but we've never heard of your favorites either:

Anik Ctvrtnk
                          Vaclav Krz
                          Edo Jezck
                          Jur Krejk
                          Ota Vlck
                          Zlatan Strnd

so there.
                          Never heard of any of them, lol.
                          Honest, Boss!
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Don't know what the criteria were, obviously it wasn't just "best voice". I'll throw Yes's Jon Anderson into the ring. Probably Peter Gabriel. For pure beauty of her voice, Annie Haslam of Renaissance.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                              Did Sinatra really not make this list......or does he not qualify for some reason?
                              He's in good company. Ella Fitzgerald didn't make it either. The list is absurd--it cannot be taken seriously.

An appreciation of Sinatra appears at nytimes.com:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/opinion/11bono.html

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                                He's in good company. Ella Fitzgerald didn't make it either. The list is absurd--it cannot be taken seriously.
                                Fame is fleeting. In another 20 years, they'll both just be trivia answers. I'd wager, however, that the Beatles, Stones, Led Z, etc. will survive longer. :shock:

Comment

Working...
                                X