Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Singers of All Time"

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Marlow: Perhaps related to your story, but in a completely opposite way: I remember distinctly that my parents HATED Sinatra--not because of his artistic ability, but because of his less-than-sterling character, associations, etc. I NEVER heard Sinatra at home but distinctly remember them saying that he was, essentially, a disreputable character. So, there's some possibility that my later respect for him reflects something of the pleasure of discovering the "forbidden." Honestly, though, his vocal artistry is just amazing--he could turn pop pablum into pure gold...

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by kuha

      Originally posted by Marlow
      Originally posted by SQUACKEE
      Originally posted by kuha
      I don't want to come across as the world's biggest Sinatra fan, but I totally disagree. There's some possibility that he'll be one of the very few from this era that will be remembered in 100 years. The stuff he did in the late 50s, in particular, is just amazing...
      When I was a teenager, I thought Sinatra was a complete joke. I had to get older (and, I trust, a tiny bit wiser) to realize how wrong that view was...
      And when you get even more of an appreciation of the finer things in life you'll realise Tony Bennett is even better!

      Comment


      • #63
        Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald...for starters. Still plenty of room to add personal favorites. My personal fave is Fred Astaire because so many great songs were written specifically for him by Gershwin and Berlin.

        cman 8-)

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
          And when you get even more of an appreciation of the finer things in life you'll realise Tony Bennett is even better!
          Nah!

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by dj
            Originally posted by tandfman
            We can contiinue this off line, lest we be censured for the worst kind of hijacking imaginable--turning a thread about a Rolling Stone list into a discussion of J.S. Bach! :roll:
            tandfman is right, I'm sorry.

            Bach to basics, pdq!
            I'm having a flashback to a scene in a hotel room in Eugene in the 1970s(76 Trials?)

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by SQUACKEE
              Originally posted by kuha
              Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by tandfman
              Sinatra and Fitzgerald will endure.
              Ella will, but I really think Frankie won't. His style of crooning was too 40s/50s. He'll go the way of Rudy Vallee. On the other hand, Elvis (and I'm not even a fan of his) will survive.
              I don't want to come across as the world's biggest Sinatra fan, but I totally disagree. There's some possibility that he'll be one of the very few from this era that will be remembered in 100 years. The stuff he did in the late 50s, in particular, is just amazing...


              Sinatra is for the ages. Not a chance the greatest pop singer of his generation will be forgotten. He is "the voice".
              IMHO, the voice of that generation was Nat King Cole. A voice we will not hear the like of again.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by bambam
                IMHO, the voice of that generation was Nat King Cole. A voice we will not hear the like of again.
                The first radio song I ever heard and liked was Perry Como's Catch a Falling Star. I just wikied it and realized that it came out in 1957 when I was 6, and a year AFTER Elvis hit with Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by bambam
                  Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                  Originally posted by kuha
                  Originally posted by Marlow
                  Originally posted by tandfman
                  Sinatra and Fitzgerald will endure.
                  Ella will, but I really think Frankie won't. His style of crooning was too 40s/50s. He'll go the way of Rudy Vallee. On the other hand, Elvis (and I'm not even a fan of his) will survive.
                  I don't want to come across as the world's biggest Sinatra fan, but I totally disagree. There's some possibility that he'll be one of the very few from this era that will be remembered in 100 years. The stuff he did in the late 50s, in particular, is just amazing...


                  Sinatra is for the ages. Not a chance the greatest pop singer of his generation will be forgotten. He is "the voice".
                  IMHO, the voice of that generation was Nat King Cole. A voice we will not hear the like of again.
                  I have to agree, nobody likes NKC more than me but Sinatra is also unique.

                  Another singer that Sinatra called a genius is Ray Charles, not the voice of the others but style coming out of his ears.
                  phsstt!

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                    Another singer that Sinatra called a genius is Ray Charles, not the voice of the others but style coming out of his ears.
                    And then there is Satchmo singing What a Wonderful World, which pretty much makes me cry every time I hear his version.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Marlow
                      Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                      Another singer that Sinatra called a genius is Ray Charles, not the voice of the others but style coming out of his ears.
                      And then there is Satchmo singing What a Wonderful World, which pretty much makes me cry every time I hear his version.
                      \

                      Satchmo is a miracle. I recently bought a dvd of a perfromance recorded in 1948. There really arent any words to describe his genius.
                      phsstt!

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Marlow
                        Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                        Another singer that Sinatra called a genius is Ray Charles, not the voice of the others but style coming out of his ears.
                        And then there is Satchmo singing What a Wonderful World, which pretty much makes me cry every time I hear his version.
                        On this we completely agree!!

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          Satchmo is a miracle. I recently bought a dvd of a perfromance recorded in 1948. There really arent any words to describe his genius.
                          And I recently bought a CD or Satchmo and Ella singing together. Some good stuff.

                          My favorite Ella is her Rogers & Hart album. It really shows off her amazing talent as well as that of the greatest songwriting team of the 20th century.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by tandfman
                            My favorite Ella is her Rogers & Hart album. It really shows off her amazing talent as well as that of the greatest songwriting team of the 20th century.
                            Even the Philistine that I am would have to agree with that.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Marlow
                              Originally posted by tandfman
                              My favorite Ella is her Rogers & Hart album. It really shows off her amazing talent as well as that of the greatest songwriting team of the 20th century.
                              Even the Philistine that I am would have to agree with that.
                              Me three.

                              cman

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X