X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Re: I used to rank Dan Marrino...

Montana is the best with all things considered. I think Brady might eventually rate second and Manning???

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied

Originally posted by Avante

Freddie Solomon the x-QB who became a solid receiver. I think it was Montana who said that he had incredible speed and hid it well until needed......whatever that means.
    The one and only. QB at UT....that's University of Tampa in these parts. Certainly have had some interesting conversations...with Freddie doing all the conversing...over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

Originally posted by Dutra
    Montana is the best I've ever seen. Who were his great backs/receivers in his first Superbowl win? Earl Cooper? Ricky Patton?

I never saw Otto Graham play (other than old highlights) I do doubt he was facing the defenses that Montana saw. I have seen everyone from Unitas since and it's Joe Montana for me. Keep in mind Bart Starr had a great supporting cast as did Unitas/Aikman/Bradshaw. Marino/Tarkenton couldn't win the big one. You look at everything it takes to be the best.....Joe Montana!
    Montana was the best IMHO and I'm not sure it's all that close to 2nd.

BTW...you got something against Freddie Solomon? He taught Jerry Rice everything he knows. How do I know? He told me...a couple of times...and then sat down my WR son and a few of his teammates and told them the same thing.

Freddie Solomon the x-QB who became a solid receiver. I think it was Montana who said that he had incredible speed and hid it well until needed......whatever that means.

Leave a comment:

• Dutra
    replied

Montana is the best I've ever seen. Who were his great backs/receivers in his first Superbowl win? Earl Cooper? Ricky Patton?

I never saw Otto Graham play (other than old highlights) I do doubt he was facing the defenses that Montana saw. I have seen everyone from Unitas since and it's Joe Montana for me. Keep in mind Bart Starr had a great supporting cast as did Unitas/Aikman/Bradshaw. Marino/Tarkenton couldn't win the big one. You look at everything it takes to be the best.....Joe Montana!
    Montana was the best IMHO and I'm not sure it's all that close to 2nd.

BTW...you got something against Freddie Solomon? He taught Jerry Rice everything he knows. How do I know? He told me...a couple of times...and then sat down my WR son and a few of his teammates and told them the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied

some time ago I calculated what Steve Young's lifetime stats would be, if he hadn't languished in Trump's brand of football and Tampa Bay. I calculated at conservative levels and Young's stats would have comfortably surpassed everyone on that list. the 'coulda' realm. I have that stuff roaming around on my computer somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Avante
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jnathletics
    replied

Originally posted by Texas

1.Joe Montana
    2.John Elway
    3.Brett Favre
    4.Dan Marino
    5.Johnny Unitas
    6.Otto Graham
    7.Tom Brady
    8.Peyton Manning
    9.Fran Tarkenton
    10.Steve Young

Second 10 (11) no order...

Dan Fouts, Joe Namath, Sammy Baugh, Jim Kelly, Terry Bradshaw, Warren Moon, Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach, Bart Starr, Sonny Jurgenson...and...Kenny Stabler.
    Sorry but there is no way Montana is the best QB. He was just a piece of a great team. Did he ever throw the ball farther then 15 yards? It always seemed to me he dumped the ball off to rice or craig and they ran for 50 yards.

Here's my second problem with the list if championships are so important why isn't Bradshaw (4 SB wins) Aikman (3 SB wins) Starr (2 SB wins) considered in the top ten then? I would take any one of those over Montana any day.

Reading Starr's brief bio I'm going with
    1. Starr
    2. Bradshaw
    3. Elway
    4. Marino
    5. Tarkenton
    6. Unitas
    7. Brady
    8. Aikman
    9. Manning
    10. Graham

Bart Starr, Green Bay Packers: No quarterback in NFL history has won more championships than Bart Starr, who led his team to NFL Championship victories 1961, 1962 and 1965 and wins in the first two Super Bowls in 1966 and 1967. A longer NFL season has allowed newer generations of players to eclipse many of the records that Starr held, but he's still second all time for consecutive passes without an interception (294) and lowest percentage of seasons leading the league in passing without an interception (3, a record he shares with Charlie Conerley, Roger Staubach, Ken Anderson and Ken O'Brien). Starr's confidence and accuracy on the field helped him win statistical praise, but it was his stalwart leadership of the legendary 1960s Packers that helped to define him as one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play the game.

Leave a comment:

• 26mi235
    replied

Originally posted by Daisy
    Oops
    An interception of Tom Brady on the Patriots’ first drive set a tone in the Jets’ victory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/17/sport ... riots.html
    Yes, and I will wait on moving Rodgers into the top category until I see how he does against the likes of Chicago in winter when the game means something (in Green Bay with GB having everything on the line and Chicago nothing and scoring 10 points does not a legend make on its own...) and against the likes of Pittsburgh.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Oops
    An interception of Tom Brady on the Patriots’ first drive set a tone in the Jets’ victory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/17/sport ... riots.html

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Latest:

In a system that emphasizes shorter passes that allow for gaining yards after the catch, a premium has been placed on Brady’s accuracy. His completion percentage is 65.9. He threw 36 touchdown passes but only 4 interceptions, none since Oct. 17, a staggering run of 335 passes without being picked off. Just before the Patriots’ regular-season finale against Miami, Dolphins Coach Tony Sparano said, “I mean, it blows my mind a little bit, to be honest with you.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/14/sport ... brady.html

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    [. He had a quote about how it wasn't his job to catch it; it was just his job to get it there in a hurry.
    Catchy quote but I would argue that it would be in his vested interest to deliver the ball at a catchable velocity consistent with the circumstances.
    Twenty years ago, OSU had a QB who could throw the ball 80 yards head high but he apparently had no reostat on his arm. He threw ever pass with such velocity that nobody inside 50 yards could hold on. (slight hyperbole but you get the point)

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied

Originally posted by odelltrclan
    I don't get Elway's accuracy claim? A strong arm he may have had. Accuracy was not his legacy.
    He was indeed deadly accurate, but for most of his career he just threw it way too hard. He didn't develop much touch till his last couple years. He had a quote about how it wasn't his job to catch it; it was just his job to get it there in a hurry.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied

Originally posted by Daisy
    Why is Brady so low on the list, because he is a relatively young player or surrounded by a great supporting cast? How are New England this year? ( don't know other than i see they have four losses) Is it the reverse of the Farve effect?
    I suspect that 10 years from now, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady will be much higher on lots of these lists, but often people don't get the appreciation they deserve until they are long gone.

Leave a comment:

• odelltrclan
    replied

Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by tandfman
    1.Joe Montana
    2.John Elway
    3.Brett Favre
    4.Dan Marino
    Marino was the best pure passer.
    Favre was the best competitor.
    Elway had the strongest and most accurate arm.
    Montana just won (baby).

I don't get Elway's accuracy claim? A strong arm he may have had, but accuracy was not his legacy. There are a slew of QB's with better accuracy I am sure. When you compare him to someone like Kurt Warner, there IS NO comparison in that category, in my opinion. Warner was simply amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

The Brady train just keep on rolling.

Brady was brilliant again despite the brutal conditions, picking apart the league's third-ranked defense. He completed 27 of 40 passes and went without an interception for the eighth straight game.

http://nytimes.stats.com/fb/recap.asp?g ... final=true

Leave a comment:

Working...
X