Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Star Trek movie?!!

The trailer looks pretty good. Marlow, whtachaknow?

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809752801/trailer
    phsstt!

The funniest part is that Leonard Nimoy has a cameo as old Spock, but they didn't even invite Shatner to be any part of the process (wisely) and he, of course, threw a hissy fit. From everything I've read and the trailer I saw, I'll be there at the front of the line! I like the prequel idea and I get the sense they're hamming it up a little to prevent being over-pretentious, which the whole franchise has frequently been.

Comment

The movie is directed by J. J. Abrams (Mission Impossible III, Cloverfield, Lost). It's a prequel to the original series that chronicles how the crew met. There's some kind of time-travel story involving a Romulan trying to change the past, and good ol' Spock has to come back from the future to save the day:

Comment

[quote="Marlow"] but they didn't even invite Shatner to be any part of the process (wisely) and he, of course, threw a hissy fit. quote]

Not true, they asked the bloated Captain Kirk to play the Enterprise and he declined.
        phsstt!

Comment

There's a lot of different stories regarding Shatner. For a long time people half suspected they're bluffing that he won't be in it. Would be a nice piece of misdirection.

Comment

Kicking this thread. The movie premieres Thursday night, May 7th. From the clips I've seen, the new actors are faithfully re-creating the characters (Carl Urban as McCoy, in particular), with their own twist.

The going tag-line is "This isn't your grandfather's 'Star Trek'." Grandfather?! How time flies...

Comment

I'll be seeing the Preview Tuesday, but I just read an ill omen. Apparently this Star Trek takes place in a 'parallel universe' to the one we know, ergo things can happen that won't fit it with the story-line as we know it from TV and previous films. :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                I'll be seeing the Preview Tuesday, but I just read an ill omen. Apparently this Star Trek takes place in a 'parallel universe' to the one we know, ergo things can happen that won't fit it with the story-line as we know it from TV and previous films. :evil:
                All of which were so dog-gone believable the first time around . . .

(Go back and watch the "Spock's Brain" episode, for one.)

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  You "just" read that? Apparently, you're not paying close attention!

It's not necessarily what you think, though. If you're interested in some back story, I would suggest getting the 4-comic miniseries "Star Trek: Countdown". It's written by the same people who wrote the movie. If you have an iPhone, you can download it as an App in the AppStore ($0.99 per issue -- haven't bought a comic for that price since 1986!).

Comment

This is getting proper word of mouth from fans. They've nailed the best Star Trek since Wrath of Khan seems to be the word....

Comment

Early in the game but so far Star Trek has 100% positive reveiws as per Rotten Tomatoes.

Comment

On a tangent, watch out for the Dark Tower adaptation from Damon Lindelof when he finishes up on Lost - which is clearly influence by The Stand. This guy's the real deal. He's running the tightest ship since Twin Peaks.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                          You "just" read that? Apparently, you're not paying close attention!
                          Dang! I can't even be the geekiest geek in the room??!! :twisted:

Comment

Metacritic has five critics giving it an 89 (out of 100), and the Moviedatabase has fans giving it an 8.2 (out of 10)(mostly non Americans). So it looks like it might be a keeper. Can't wait to take the grandkids! "Grandpa who's Mr. Spock?"

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                              "Grandpa who's Mr. Spock?"
                              I was discussing the movie with some of my students the other day. One of them asked me "Who's Leonard Nimoy?"...

PS: Just bought my tickets. The wife and I will be seeing the 2:35 show on Friday at the Arclight Hollywood (aka the Cineramadome). Looks like this recovering Trekkie has fallen off the wagon. Where's my 12-step program?

Comment

Working...
                              X