Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeremyp
    replied
    Certainly Spock was the most distinctive of the characters on the show. Type cast him forever.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    RIP: Leonard Nimoy, 83

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/ar...ies-at-83.html

Leave a comment:

• scottmitchell74
    replied
    I liked it.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Got around to watching this yesterday. Excellent movie. Smart of them to restart this with a fresh cast. It was similar to watching Across the Universe, in that in that movie it took me about 10 minutes to get over the fact that the Beatles were not singing the Beatles songs. It took me about as long to get used to the new Kirk, Spock, etc.

Re-opens the real Star Trek franchise for years of new adventures. Hopefully JJ Abrams stays involved. Love his stuff in Lost, and now here.

After watching the movie I walked across the street and bought the novel based on the screenplay, and am halfway through it. Lots of extra details that ended up not getting into the movie.

Leave a comment:

• dal4018
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    The funniest part is that Leonard Nimoy has a cameo as old Spock, but they didn't even invite Shatner to be any part of the process (wisely) and he, of course, threw a hissy fit. From everything I've read and the trailer I saw, I'll be there at the front of the line! I like the prequel idea and I get the sense they're hamming it up a little to prevent being over-pretentious, which the whole franchise has frequently been.
    How come the rest of the original cast wasn't invited to be apart of the movie?

Leave a comment:

• poodabear
    replied
    Originally posted by TrackDaddy
    One thumb up!

Only one because my wife went to sleep.
    :lol: :lol:

Leave a comment:

• poodabear
    replied
    My Hubby is a trekkie and although as a purist he had a few issues with the some of the stuff. (Mostly about Uhura), he did like it. I LOVED it! I didn't want th4e movie to end and i want to pay to see it again. I love what the director did to the story to create a new generation of fans. I mean lets face it. The originals are getting old and dying. I love all of the new actors and look forward to the two other Star Trek movies with this new cast.

And William Shatner couldn't come back. He was presumed dead in one of the STNG movies when he was stuck inthe Nexxus and actually did helping Capt Picard. I did say that I was married to a trekkie!

Leave a comment:

• TrackDaddy
    replied
    One thumb up!

Only one because my wife went to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Daisy
    I'm stunned.
    Maybe you're just out of touch? But don't feel bad, that's normal for someone your age :twisted:
    Out of touch with what? Who are you? What was the question . . . ?
    The other day I started fussing at my class that someone had taken my board marker off my desk. . . . It was in my hand . . .

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    I'm stunned.
    Maybe you're just out of touch? But don't feel bad, that's normal for someone your age :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    OK, I have been contradicted in a statement I made after I saw it. I told my family that no one who voluntarily went to see it, i.e., went expecting to like it, would be disappointed. A lady at work said she was looking forward to seeing it, got BORED in the first 20 minutes and thought all the major roles had been miscast! :shock: I'm stunned.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    By the way, they just came out with a 10th anniversary edition of Galaxy Quest which was a pretty good Trek parody if you have never seen it.

Leave a comment:

• Vince
    replied
    I saw it at an IMAX theater. Great experience and I highly recommend it at this type of theater.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    I saw it in IMAX last night, and it was just as good the second time because I could focus on periphery issues such as set design, music and special effects. I also got a few more of the inside jokes. I also saw a few more mannerisms of the actors, showing how they incorporated the original leads without just resorting to mimicry. The Bones and Scotty characters really stand out the second time, whereas the new Spock dominated the first viewing. The young Kirk is also wittier than I had previously noted.

. . . oh dear, am I becoming a full-fledged Trekkie?! :shock: 8-) :roll: :wink:

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by jeremyp
    full of zip but little depth.
    I can agree with that assessment. I'd just say it never intended to explore the interpersonal dynamics that Roddenberry enjoyed so much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X