Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eiger Sanction It Ain't

At last, an Eiger movie that could be worth watching (if you've ever been to the mountain, how could you resist?!)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 38148.html

Re: The Eiger Sanction It Ain't

Originally posted by gh
    At last, an Eiger movie that could be worth watching (if you've ever been to the mountain, how could you resist?!)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 38148.html
    What you didn't like Clint battling evildoers on the Eiger? It is a pretty dumb movie. However, the best part of the tale was Messner and Habeler record climb happened during filming.

Comment

great book, but indeed a dumb movie (although Clint's always watchable). My favorite stupid moment is Clint is climbing lead on a spire in the Arizona desert that has never been climbed before and there's a rope from him going off the top of the screen.

There was a track connection to that movie; don't remember the name (Hoover?) but as I recall the guy who did all the camerawork from a climbing point of view (i.e., cameraman who actually climbed) was a track guy (of no paticular note) from Occidental.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        great book, but indeed a dumb movie (although Clint's always watchable). My favorite stupid moment is Clint is climbing lead on a spire in the Arizona desert that has never been climbed before and there's a rope from him going off the top of the screen.

There was a track connection to that movie; don't remember the name (Hoover?) but as I recall the guy who did all the camerawork from a climbing point of view (i.e., cameraman who actually climbed) was a track guy (of no paticular note) from Occidental.
        Actually, the climb is on the Totem Pole in Monument Valley, and had been first ascented back in the 50's. However, it is now off limits to climbers.

A similar tower is Castleton Tower in Utah. The great Boulder climber Layton Kor led the first ascent back in 1962. When they got to the top they found all this lumber piled up. Confusing at first until they remembered that classic Chevy commercial that was filmed not long before with a car on top of the tower.

Comment

When I said "hadn't been climbed" that was the premise in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            When I said "hadn't been climbed" that was the premise in the movie.
            Yes, I realize that now. I forgot that Kennedy tells Clint that no one had climbed it before. But having watched the movie a few times, hey it's still the Eiger!, I can't get that top rope that Clint is dangling from out of my mind.

Comment

I'm not surprised that there is finally attempt to put Kurz's story on film. Fictionalized mountaineering movies just can't match the real thing for drama. I'll definately see it. Maybe some day someone will try to make a film of the Eiger rescue of 1957. Or what about a film about the retreat and Schoening's belay on K2 rather than the fictionalized nonsense by that name.

Comment

Working...
              X