Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DrJay
    replied
    Haven't seen it in 30+ years and it would have been slapstick, but wasn't there a good chase scene in "What's Up Doc"?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    One of the important aspects of a great car chase scene is its credibility. It can't look like stunt drivers are doing it. How NOT to do it was illustrated in last week's Transporter 3 where Jason Statham' s character, the Transporter, has to squeeze between two semi-tractor-trailers, so he just goes up on two wheels and passes between them. :roll:
    On the topic of roads and cars, anyone else see Monte Wellman's Two-Lane Blacktop with James Taylor, Dennis Wilson and Warren Oates? I liked it alot and it is now out on dvd.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    One of the important aspects of a great car chase scene is its credibility. It can't look like stunt drivers are doing it. How NOT to do it was illustrated in last week's Transporter 3 where Jason Statham' s character, the Transporter, has to squeeze between two semi-tractor-trailers, so he just goes up on two wheels and passes between them. :roll:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Has anyone mentioned a cult classic, " Thunder Road " ? Gotta love it when Mitchum pops between the 2 police cars.
    My favorite movie as a kid (Robert Mitchum, singing?!---"there was thunder, thunder, over thunder road; thunder was his engine, white lightnin' was his load...").

Favorite scene was when the bad guy is trying to run him off the road and Mitchum flicks his cigarette in the guy's face, sending him off a cliff.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied
    Often I think these lists are stupid, but this time they got it right. I looked down the list expecting to berate them for not picking Bullitt as #1 but they did.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Has anyone mentioned a cult classic, " Thunder Road " ? Gotta love it when Mitchum pops between the 2 police cars.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    The director's commentaries on the dvds for The French Connection and Ronin are fascinating. In Ronin they really are going that fast with the actors in the cars. And in FC, Friedkin had no city approval, just a few cop friends of Eddie Egan to stop traffic. Amazing no one got killed.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Re: Italian Job
    Originally posted by Marlow
    don't remember it at all.
    Really? I remember it well, it is a classic but I can't compare to the remake since I have not seen it. (look up Turin Car Chase you know where)

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    To Live & Die in LA is def. my number one...

Watch the guy getting out of the truck at 7:20 lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ_39lxlDAg

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Originally posted by gh
    Bullitt is way overrated
    Or not . . .
    Agree - I remember feeling my stomache in my throat when he ramps the hills.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Bullitt is way overrated
    Or not . . .

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    To Live & Die in LA is def. my number one (Bullitt is way overrated), with T2 next. Have never seen Italian Job.

I'd suggest that T3 also belongs on the list, what with all the robot-controlled police cars chasing the hero, and the villain in the huge crane with Arnold hanging from the boom and ripping buildings apart, etc., etc.

Glad to see that they remembered the obscure Freebie & The Bean. The best part of that, as I remember it many years later, is the end of the chase where Caan and Arkin go off The Embarcadero (elevated freeway in San Francisco that no longer exists) and plow through an apartment building and end up in the bedroom with an elderly couple in bed. Caan says, "can I borrow your phone?" (pre-cell days), calls dispatch and says, "Please send a tow truck to.. what's your address?... 365 Sansome." Then a pause for effect and he says, "sixth floor."

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    T2 is No. 9.
    Oops, missed it. Thanks. Clean sweep for me then!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Slocombe
    replied
    Do not forget OJ and the white Bronco chase. The true American story went all the way to Las Vegas to get to the conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    T2 is No. 9.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X