Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** { Trivia } ***

1.Who was the first athlete from the HBCU to gain a 1000 yds in an NFL season?

2.Who is acknowledged as the first blues guitarist to record?

3.What well known singer was also a notable (locally) high jumper in college?

4.Who recorded the original...."I'm A Man Of Constant Sorrow"..remember the movie?

5.Name 15 rasslin' brothers real or imagined...ha!

6.Who was the first athlete from the HBCU to gain a 1000 yds as a receiver in an NFL season?

7.Name 5 sub10.10 sprinters who played in the NFL. We won't count Jimmy Hines for obvious reasons.

8.Who taught John Lennon the harmonica?

9.Name 10 musical artists who have covered Robert Johnson tunes?

10.Name 10 sprinters who were there in San Jose State/Speed City between 1958-1970

3. is probably Johnny Mathis.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
      3. is probably Johnny Mathis.
      Bingo!

Comment

8. Dylan?

cant be Dylan, hadnt meet him in yet in 63
        phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          8. Dylan?

cant be Dylan, hadnt meet him in yet in 63
          Dylan isn't much of a harp man. He barely gets by, more like a Jimmy Reed than a Little Walter.

This guy spent some time over in England, there he'd meet up with the Fab Four and somehow got around to showing Lennon the basic harmonica licks. Not a rock and roller.

Comment

And in the you-can-find-anything-on-the-internet department, here's a site on the harmonica in Beatle music. Lennon playing dates back to at least early '62, predating Dylan's visit by months. No mention of Dylan as teacher

http://www.vex.net/~paulmac/beatles/btt/little.htm

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              And in the you-can-find-anything-on-the-internet department, here's a site on the harmonica in Beatle music. Lennon playing dates back to at least early '62, predating Dylan's visit by months. No mention of Dylan as teacher

http://www.vex.net/~paulmac/beatles/btt/little.htm
              Dylan had nothing to do with John Lennon and the harmonica. Then there was...

Delbert McClinton

A Million Highlights
              by Kerry Dexter

Blues was a good part of life in far west Texas in the 1940s and 50s. Tex-Mex, country, roadhouse rock, folk, honky-tonk, and blues met and commingled as people came up from Mexico to pick cotton, passed through on their way to brighter dreams of California, or just explored the wide open spaces of the west. Delbert McClinton was born in Lubbock, a crossroads town where his father worked for the railroads and his mother was a beautician. The young McClinton sought a different path: music. "I think music was just born with me," he said, reflecting on a 40-year career that's seen him teach harmonica licks to John Lennon, share a Grammy award with Bonnie Raitt, and write and perform a basketful of creative genre-crossing country and blues roadhouse songs that still keep musicians, critics, and fans watching for his next move.

Comment

5. I think these were real brothers:

John and Chris Tolos
                Barry and Kendall Windham
                Kerry, Kevin, and David Von Erich
                Jerry and Nick Kozak
                Terry and Dory Funk
                Jack and Jerry Briscoe
                Mark, Ted, and Donn Lewin
                Jake Roberts and Sam Houston
                Bill and Scott "Hoss" Irwin

Not brothers:

The Von Brauners
                Gene and Ole Anderson
                Gene and Steve Stanlee

Unsure:

Brett and Buzz Sawyer
                Bill,Ed and Dan Miller
                Don and Al Greene

Comment

Originally posted by Whitman
                  5. I think these were real brothers:

John and Chris Tolos
                  Barry and Kendall Windham
                  Kerry, Kevin, and David Von Erich
                  Jerry and Nick Kozak
                  Terry and Dory Funk
                  Jack and Jerry Briscoe
                  Mark, Ted, and Donn Lewin
                  Jake Roberts and Sam Houston
                  Bill and Scott "Hoss" Irwin

Not brothers:

The Von Brauners
                  Gene and Ole Anderson
                  Gene and Steve Stanlee

Unsure:

Brett and Buzz Sawyer
                  Bill,Ed and Dan Miller
                  Don and Al Greene
                  Great job!!!!

Now add..

Art and Stan Neilson
                  Doc and Mike Gallagher
                  The Von Stroheims
                  Rick and Scott Steiner
                  Mike and Ben Sharpe
                  Enrique, Ramon and Alberto Torres
                  Rocket and Sputnik Monroe....haha!!!!!!!
                  Jimmy, Johnny and Jerry Valiant
                  Red and Lou Bastien
                  Reggie and Stan Lisowski (who was also Stan Neilson...ha!)
                  Jack and Jim Dalton

Comment

Re: *** { Trivia } ***

Originally posted by Texas
                    4.Who recorded the original...."I'm A Man Of Constant Sorrow"..remember the movie?
                    The Soggy Bottom Boys outta Cottondelia, Mississippi! :wink:

The original was a turn-of-the-century folk song, but O Brother, Where Art Thou? sure made it famous.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      The Soggy Bottom Boys outta Cottondelia, Mississippi! :wink:

The original was a turn-of-the-century folk song, but O Brother, Where Art Thou? sure made it famous.
                      No not really. It's actually a very old tune. Yes it was reworked a litle differently for the movie but it's basically the same song. Think...old! I have the original 8-)

Comment

Think...old! I have the original 8-)
                        OK, you sent me on a google search. You have this one?

Originally posted by wiki
                        The song was originally recorded by Burnett as "Farewell Song" printed in a Richard Burnett songbook, c. 1913.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                          Think...old! I have the original 8-)
                          OK, you sent me on a google search. You have this one?

Originally posted by wiki
                          The song was originally recorded by Burnett as "Farewell Song" printed in a Richard Burnett songbook, c. 1913.
                          I'm talking about the first time we read..."I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow"..on a record label. That would be...(I have this one)

ARTHUR, EMRY

Date of Birth: Ca. 1900
                          Place of Birth: Wayne County, Kentucky
                          Date of Death: 1966
                          Marital Status: Divorced
                          Musical Syle: Country-Folk
                          Talents: Singer, Songwriter, Guitar

Recommend Record Albums:
                          "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" (Old Homestead)

Biography:

He is remembered today by Old Time music fans and Folk song students, but in his prime, from 1928 to1935, singer and songwriter Emry Arthur was one of the most popular and prolific early Country singers. He was one of the best singers to come from the rich Kentucky Folk tradition and one of the best to translate that tradition into commercial terms. He recorded some 78 sides for major labels like Vocalion and Decca and for the independent Paramount and Lonesome Ace labels. He was the first to record the haunting I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow, the Bluegrass standard made famous by the Stanley Brothers years later. Arthur was born in the remote Elk Spring Valley in south central Kentucky, in an area rich in traditional musicians. His father was a collector of old songs and his brothers Sam and Henry (who were later to accompany him on some of his records) were skilled instrumentalists. Neighbors included Dick Burnett, Leonard Rutherford and William Rexroat, all of whom also recorded. When he was young, a hunting accident took one of his fingers, making him adopt a plain percussion guitar style that is heard on most of his records. About 1925, young Arthur moved to Indianapolis to work in factories and do other odd jobs. An audition for Vocalion Records (then an independent company, though later a division of ARC) brought him a contract and on January 17, 1928, in Chicago, Emry and his brother Henry recorded 10 songs. Two of the cuts, jaunty versions of the old Gospel songs Love Lifted Me and Shining For The Master, became hits and within six months the company wanted more. Arthur’s repertoire ranged from old Wayne County traditional songs like Going Around The World to old Pop songs like In The Heart Of The City That Has No Heart. By August 1929, though, Arthur’s professional and personal life fell apart. "I had to leave everything I had," he wrote and had to move to his brother’s home in Jacksonville, Illinois. His wife sued him for divorce and his recording contract was dropped. The Depression made work hard to find and soon he was working at a chair factory in Port Washington, Wisconsin, the very company that owned Paramount Records. When his bosses discovered who he was, more recordings followed, but none were successful. A short-lived stint with the independent West Virginia label Lonesome Ace also fell through. He managed to get a last session with Decca in 1934, redoing some of his old hits and cutting new songs like Empty Pockets Blues. Eventually he returned to Indianapolis, where he died in 1966.
                          Charles K. Wolfe

Comment

Question 5

Big Bill and Dandy Dan Miller were brothers
                            Ivan and Karol Kalmikoff (not real brothers)
                            Boris and Nicoli Volkoff (not real brothers)

cman

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                              Question 5

Big Bill and Dandy Dan Miller were brothers
                              Ivan and Karol Kalmikoff (not real brothers)
                              Boris and Nicoli Volkoff (not real brothers)

cman
                              Big Bill and Dan Miller..???? Wow :lol:

Comment

Working...
                              X