Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was coerced into watching "Transformers" on HBO the other night. I had heard of the movie but knew nothing about it except my grandkids had toys called Transformers.
    Reportedly it was a commercial success and one of the top movies of 2007. I concede the special effects were spectacular but it joins the short list of worst movies I have ever endured.
    I had to Google after watching it to find out what the hell I had just wasted two hours on.

Comment

I have a real problem with deliberately making a movie based on kids' toys a PG-13 film.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
        I was coerced into watching "Transformers" . . . it joins the short list of worst movies I have ever endured.
        It would have helped if you had kids who played (incessantly) with them, but it would have helped a LOT more had you seen it on the big screen. I can't believe that it would translate well onto TV. I liked it so much, I saw it a second time (in Scotland of all places).

Comment

Pumaman, is the worst film ever conceived. I'd rather dive face first onto a bed of nails than watch that again.
          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

One of the worst I've seen is an award winning flick with Peter Sellers and Shiley MacLaine called "Being There".

Comment

I agree on Transporters. I saw it first at 30000' somewhere between Singapore and Sydney but fell asleep. I thought as a result of flying from LA to Australia the wrong way. But, I gave it another chance a few months ago and realized I'd nodded off because it's so laughably bad. Add Iron Man to my list. A ridiculous action movie whose only possible reason for being made was to generate large paychecks for the stars and producers. Saw Sex and the City this week; another cash generating brand extension with zero creative merit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince
                One of the worst I've seen is an award winning flick with Peter Sellers and Shiley MacLaine called "Being There".
                I like to watch . . .

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                  I agree on Transporters. I saw it first at 30000' somewhere between Singapore and Sydney but fell asleep. I thought as a result of flying from LA to Australia the wrong way. But, I gave it another chance a few months ago and realized I'd nodded off because it's so laughably bad. Add Iron Man to my list. A ridiculous action movie whose only possible reason for being made was to generate large paychecks for the stars and producers. Saw Sex and the City this week; another cash generating brand extension with zero creative merit.
                  Most movies these days,(85% ?), coming out of Hollywood quite literally suck. When the ONLY motivation is profit and the idea of making art isnt even a consideration this is no surprise at all. Also most movies are made for kiddies which are been dragged to Multi-plex's by moms.
                  phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                    Most movies these days,(85% ?), coming out of Hollywood quite literally suck. When the ONLY motivation is profit and the idea of making art isnt even a consideration this is no surprise at all. Also most movies are made for kiddies which are been dragged to Multi-plex's by moms.
                    I think you're being too generous. I'd say the percentage of Hollywood made, to suck-your-cash-out-of-your-wallet, movies is more like 95%...

Comment

When the ONLY motivation is profit and the idea of making art isnt even a consideration this is no surprise at all.
                      I don't think the vast majority of people EVER think of movies as art. It is just a way to escape from the real world for a couple hours.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                        I think you're being too generous. I'd say the percentage of Hollywood made, to suck-your-cash-out-of-your-wallet, movies is more like 95%...
                        something I posted earlier seems apropos here:

Originally posted by Marlow
                        proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the writer [poster] simply doesn't like to be entertained very much at all. If you really think ALL those movies are bad, there's something wrong with you, not the movies.
                        The movie-maker has one, and only one, obligation - turn a profit, so s/he lives to fight again another day. If you make 'art' (WeverTF that is!) also, more power to ya! I go to be entertained. Period. If I am also enlightened, moved, or otherwise 'reached', so be it. Guess why Transformers and Iron Man made a zillion dollars? Answer: they successfully entertained people. A whole lot of them. I'm happy for you that all those people are beneath your dignity. Twilight is below my dignity to go see - and it's making a truckload of coinage, but I would never say it's a 'bad' movie. Obviously it's not if it's making good money. Moviemaking is a business, first and foremost, and you and I can totally disagree with whether we like something or not (oh wait, we always do!), but I fail to see how you can decide what is good movie-making or not. Yours is merely ONE perspective, representing .000000001% of the available audience. Deal with it! :twisted:

BTW, I hate Thomas Kincade's art and Josh Groban's singing, yet they are two of the most popular 'artists' in the world. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by donley2
                          When the ONLY motivation is profit and the idea of making art isnt even a consideration this is no surprise at all.
                          I don't think the vast majority of people EVER think of movies as art. It is just a way to escape from the real world for a couple hours.
                          Dude, you are so right!
                          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Dietmar239
                            Originally posted by donley2
                            Dude, you are so right!
                            Gee, i wonder why! :P
                            phsstt!

Comment

Most of what Hollywood puts out is drivel, pure and simple. It does not surprise me that Marlow is entertained by this stuff . . .

:twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                                proves, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the writer [poster] simply doesn't like to be entertained very much at all. If you really think ALL those movies are bad, there's something wrong with you, not the movies.
                                This implies that entertainment is an objective measure.

Most movies I watch are underwhelming. Yet, I keep hoping for the one that will entertain. Obviously people go to the movies to be entertained but this does not mean they are entertained. That said, the last two movies I saw at a theatre were Return of the King and Quantum Solace. I just don't show up any more. I guess others are more optimistic than me, or are actually entertained. <I know, I know, what a kill joy>

Comment

Working...
                                X