Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great Gawd-Awful Movies...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    [quote="Marlow"]
    I like ALL sorts of the opposite end. I enjoyed it immensely! It may have even satisfied you. quote]

    Since Marlow took my quotes out of context i decided to do the same to him. :twisted:
    phsstt!

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by jhc68
      It's all good.

      No matter how idiotic or offensive movies, may be they represent pure market capitalism -- producers make what they think people want to see -- so whatever criticisms we have about movies are implicit evaluations of the culture we live in (and us).

      So it all comes down to a viewers paradigm. Someone here hated "Being There" and I've heard others say that "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" was unwatchable... yet those are two of my favorite films. Likewise, I thought "Legends of the Fall" was horrendous, but lots of people loved it.

      And then there are films like "The Killer Shrews" and all the Ed Wood productions that are so jaw-dropping in their stupidity that I never tire of them.

      Sooner or later they all end up on TV and as the Couch Potato Handbook declares: There is no such thing as too much TV !
      Yeah, I liked Being There a lot also

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by bambam
        Originally posted by jhc68
        It's all good.

        No matter how idiotic or offensive movies, may be they represent pure market capitalism -- producers make what they think people want to see -- so whatever criticisms we have about movies are implicit evaluations of the culture we live in (and us).

        So it all comes down to a viewers paradigm. Someone here hated "Being There" and I've heard others say that "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" was unwatchable... yet those are two of my favorite films. Likewise, I thought "Legends of the Fall" was horrendous, but lots of people loved it.

        And then there are films like "The Killer Shrews" and all the Ed Wood productions that are so jaw-dropping in their stupidity that I never tire of them.

        Sooner or later they all end up on TV and as the Couch Potato Handbook declares: There is no such thing as too much TV !
        Yeah, I liked Being There a lot also
        Being There is one of my favorite films. I guess for some people its just too slow and dry. But its is so deep. Among its theme's is perception is everything.

        Of course my fav. scene is where Shirley Maclaine wants to have sex with him and he doesn't even know what sex is. He see's a tv in the bedroom and says , "I like to watch". She thinks he wants her to pleasure herself. He repeats, "I like to watch". So she goes ahead with it and when its over declares it the most thrilling sexual experience of her life.
        phsstt!

        Comment


        • #79
          Ugh, "Being There" is "Bob Newhart" on Valium. For wry comedy, I'd rather watch "Little Miss Sunshine".

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Vince
            Ugh, "Being There" is "Bob Newhart" on Valium. For wry comedy, I'd rather watch "Little Miss Sunshine".
            No comparison, I much prefer "Being There"
            Off the top og my head some other very funny movies: Catch-22, Blazing Saddles, High Anxiety, The Big Lebowski, Raising Arizona, Annie Hall and of course, Shampoo.

            Comment


            • #81
              One of the rules I have for a comedy, is that I have to actually laugh during the movie. I haven't laughed at a Woody Allen film since "Take the Money and Run", or at a Mel Brooks film since I was a teenager(which actually is the same thing). The rest listed, except one, didn't make me laugh at all. A recent comedy that, may be on many worst movie lists, I did laugh at in places, and was well acted and written, was "Hancock".

              Comment


              • #82
                The movie I laughed at most while in the movie theater may have been the original version of The In-laws with Peter Falk. The movie I came closest to walking out of the theater while wathcing was The Man Who Fell to Earth with David Bowie.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by Vince
                  One of the rules I have for a comedy, is that I have to actually laugh during the movie.
                  It's a really, really dumb movie, but if you don't laugh, out loud, many times, in Four Christmases, you have no pulse!

                  The one I couldn't stop laughing at, and I am deeply ashamed to admit it, was Dodgeball. Even my otherwise normal wife, was greatly tickled. Hitch too.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by lonewolf
                    Originally posted by Daisy
                    Michael Crawford, played the brit runner with a nutter coach.
                    Yep, running five minute miles uphill with his coach on his back and planning a 2:00 hour marathon.
                    that was the target, but he fizzled out to ?2"10

                    however, i do believe he was on target at 1/2 way & threfore ran a 59+' for a 1/2M back in the '60s !!!

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by eldrick
                      Originally posted by lonewolf
                      Originally posted by Daisy
                      Michael Crawford, played the brit runner with a nutter coach.
                      Yep, running five minute miles uphill with his coach on his back and planning a 2:00 hour marathon.
                      that was the target, but he fizzled out to ?2"10

                      however, i do believe he was on target at 1/2 way & threfore ran a 59+' for a 1/2M back in the '60s !!!
                      One of my favorite comedies.

                      "But Bill a sub 2 hour marathon is impossible!"

                      Bill, the coach answers, " Yes! That exactly why were gonna do it."

                      And the term fizzled is a bit kind, he was foaming at the mouth a stumbling sideways the last 100m.
                      phsstt!

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Marlow
                        It's a really, really dumb movie, but if you don't laugh, out loud, many times, in Four Christmases, you have no pulse!
                        News Flash - Just saw Yes Man with Jim Carrey and it was EXCELLENT - funniest thing he's done since Bruce Almighty. He was funny without resorting to 'manic'. The Mrs. and I enjoyed it a lot.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Back to the original intent of this thread, I have two candidates. "The Terror of Tinytown" - a western featuring a cast of little people riding shetland ponies who are faced with an invasion of giants played by people of normal height. The other, whose name eludes me at the moment, succeeded in making it's leading character (Ghengis Khan) look foolish by casting John Wayne in the role. Although he tried valiently, he was unable to cover his accent....."Come here, wench/pilgrim...."

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Dog Soldiers, Resident Evil and Silent Hill. 6 hours of my life I'll never get back ...

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
                              The other, whose name eludes me at the moment, succeeded in making it's leading character (Ghengis Khan) look foolish by casting John Wayne in the role. Although he tried valiently, he was unable to cover his accent....."Come here, wench/pilgrim...."
                              The Conqueror. From a review:
                              "Enamored with Utah's Snow Canyon area, director Dick Powell shot most of the film in the same exact chunk of the Utah desert. So if you watch closely, there are several spots where Wayne and Armendariz ride some great distance and wearily dismount ... almost exactly where they started. "

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                [quote=Mighty Favog]
                                Originally posted by "Kevin Richardson":18qh8h3l
                                The other, whose name eludes me at the moment, succeeded in making it's leading character (Ghengis Khan) look foolish by casting John Wayne in the role. Although he tried valiently, he was unable to cover his accent....."Come here, wench/pilgrim...."
                                The Conqueror. From a review:
                                "Enamored with Utah's Snow Canyon area, director Dick Powell shot most of the film in the same exact chunk of the Utah desert. So if you watch closely, there are several spots where Wayne and Armendariz ride some great distance and wearily dismount ... almost exactly where they started. "[/quote:18qh8h3l]
                                A little too close to a nuclear test site IMHO. :shock:

                                cman

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X