Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After watching DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart....

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After watching DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart....

....shred that vaunted Buc's D for 300 yards, I started thinking about other dynamic running back combos. While the two do spell each other I'll also be looking at starting combo's like the classic thunder & lightnin' ...Larry Czonka & Mercury Morris....at Miami.

Back in his first couple of seasons with the Cleveland Browns, the great Jimmy Brown really wasn't the most dangerous runner in their backfield. I know, I know that's hard to believe but very true. The running back (Brown was actually a fullback) was the speedy/elusive Bobby Mitchell. Who was chosen as one of the games most elusive players ever by ESPN. Mitchell would end up with Washington and would become a HOF wide receiver. So the Jimmy Brown/Bobby Mitchell combo was about as good as it got.

In the mid 50's the Niners had three backs, all would end up in the Hall of Fame.

There was...

Joe "The Jet" Perry.... a speedster out of Compton JC and the first back to back 1000 rusher in NFL history.

Hugh "The King" McElhenny....one of the greatest broken field runners ever.

John Henry Johnson....during the Jimmy Brown era he was the leagues third top back, he was behind Brown and the Packers Jim Taylor. John Henry considered by many to be the meanest back ever. Wicked forearms!

Speaking of Hall of Famers. In the 60's the Packers had Jim Taylor who once lead the league in rushing over Jimmy Brown and the Golden Boy Paul Hornung who could do it all, yes even kick.

Then we saw...

During their Superbowl years, the Steelers had the great Franco Harris and the hard nosed Rocky Bliear.

The Cowboys had Tony Dorsett and Hercshel Walker.
    The Raiders....Marcus Allen and Bo Jackson.
    Niners....Roger Craig and Wendell Tyler.
    Raiders....Clem Daneils and Hewritt Dixon.

In the old AFL days the Chargers had the speedy/elusive Paul Lowe and the multi talented Keith Lincoln. The best fullback/running back combo that league would see. If they had a rival it was the Superbowl winning tantum of Matt Snell and Emerson Boozer.

In todays NFL we have Williams and Stewart but the best...Thunder & Lightnin' duo would be the Titans LenDale White and Chris Johnson.

If we're talking the college game. Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders were both there together at Oklahoma State. Penn State had Franco Harris and Lydell Mitchell who would both star in the NFL. Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams were together at Auburn.

I know what you're thinking.."is he going to foget...

Can't talk running back combo's and not mention The Four Horseman at Notre Dame or Doc 'Mr.Inside" Blanchard and Glen "Mr.Outside" Davis of Army.

Can't ignore...

Mike Alstott/Warrick Dunn...Buc's

During his Cleveland days, Mitchell averaged...

58-6.3
    59-5.4
    60-4.6
    61-5.4

..a carry.

Don't forget the Giants' 3-man punch of Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw, all different styles, Jacobs the bruiser bigger than most FBs and many TEs, Ward more the outside runner and Bradshaw a change of pace guy...with Droughns very much a reserve even though he had a 1000-yard season in Denver (who doesn't though! - not this year with the Broncos having no fit RBs)

San Diego had Michael Turner to back up LT until this season...and probably didn't use him enough. Could have done with him this year with LT having lost a step (not that the line helps...or the absence of Lo Neal, who's blocking for another 3-man punch in Baltimore now, rookie Rice, McGahee and I forget the other) Sproles is a good change of pace now, but more of a returner and receiver out of the backfield really.
    As for Turner, him and Norwood are a good 1-2 in Atlanta now.

Brown and Williams are a good pair in Miami, and now that the Saints have discovered a running game, maybe they could even have a 1-2-3 with Bush, Thomas and McAllister (or Stecker), though again Bush may be used more as a receiver (as if Brees needs any MORE YAC).
    Oakland are a poor team, but Fargas and McFadden if used well are a good 1-2 to take the load off Russell, with backup from another Bush (Michael, but not Reggie's brother).

Comment

Originally posted by andyjgt
      Don't forget the Giants' 3-man punch of Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw, all different styles, Jacobs the bruiser bigger than most FBs and many TEs, Ward more the outside runner and Bradshaw a change of pace guy...with Droughns very much a reserve even though he had a 1000-yard season in Denver (who doesn't though! - not this year with the Broncos having no fit RBs)

San Diego had Michael Turner to back up LT until this season...and probably didn't use him enough. Could have done with him this year with LT having lost a step (not that the line helps...or the absence of Lo Neal, who's blocking for another 3-man punch in Baltimore now, rookie Rice, McGahee and I forget the other) Sproles is a good change of pace now, but more of a returner and receiver out of the backfield really.
      As for Turner, him and Norwood are a good 1-2 in Atlanta now.

Brown and Williams are a good pair in Miami, and now that the Saints have discovered a running game, maybe they could even have a 1-2-3 with Bush, Thomas and McAllister (or Stecker), though again Bush may be used more as a receiver (as if Brees needs any MORE YAC).
      Oakland are a poor team, but Fargas and McFadden if used well are a good 1-2 to take the load off Russell, with backup from another Bush (Michael, but not Reggie's brother).
      Have we ever seen a better three headed monster at RB than what the Giants now have? The weird trip is none of them were highly thought of coming out of college. Then there's a 1000 rusher on the bench....whoa!!!!!! You nailed as far as the other combos you mentioned.

Let me add LenDale White and Reggie Bush at USC.

Comment

Does Michael Vick and Warrick Dunn count? I think the Cleveland Browns had two thousand yard backs one year in the eighties.

Denver gave the illusion of having a lot of good running backs all at one time in the late nineties but I think that was just because their offensive line was so great it made their backups look good when Terrell Davis got injured - which was the only way they ever got on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
          Does Michael Vick and Warrick Dunn count? I think the Cleveland Browns had two thousand yard backs one year in the eighties.

Denver gave the illusion of having a lot of good running backs all at one time in the late nineties but I think that was just because their offensive line was so great it made their backups look good when Terrell Davis got injured - which was the only way they ever got on the field.
          How did I forget Ernest Byner and Kevin Mack.....duh! Good one bro!

What A QB does is a little different. He usually sees a broken field to run in. Then it's just get by a big lineman and he's got 7-10 yards before anyone can get back to him.

Comment

Working...
          X