#1 Okla woulda trounced #8 PennSt, 62-24
      #2 Fla woulda beat #7 TexTech, 48-27
      #3 Tex woulda slaughtered Utah, 72-17
      # 4 Bama woulda been upset by #5 USC, 31-21

In the semis
      Okla woulda edged USC 31-28
      Fla woulda squeaked by Tex 31-24

So the NC game woulda been the same
      I seriously doubt Oklahoma beats USC. That Trojan D is incredible!

In the Pete Carroll era...5-2 in bowl games and should have beat Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-playoff120208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
        I really don't see a 16-team playoff as viable.

Comment

BCS Mess

A colleague of mine who has run a few basketball leagues in his day, and was just hired by the city of Nashville, sent me the following solution:

Take the conference champ from each major conference (6) Big10 Big12, Big East, SEC, ACC, and Pac10 and then two at large teams, this would let a lesser conference that may have an undefeated team, like say Utah, Boise State or Ball State be included. This would form an 8 {seed} Team playoff. In order to do this I would roll back the season to 11 games where it was for many many years. Also everyone would start the first saturday in September (Labor day weekend) there would not be any games during the week unless it was a holiday. each school would then have 12 weeks to complete an 11 game schedule. Conference championship games (ACC, Big12, and SEC) would be played on the last saturday in November and all other rivalry games would be on this day too. An added wrinkle would be to have Army vs. Navy on day after thanksgiving.

The 8 team playoff would have quarterfinals on first saturday in december and semi-finals on second saturday with championship on Newyears day night!

I would use the top 7 money making bowls for this playoff and rotate them, so every seven years one of them would be designated as the host of the New Years day championship.

Comment

Re: BCS Mess

Originally posted by bijanc's friend
            Take the conference champ from each major conference (6) Big10 Big12, Big East, SEC, ACC, and Pac10 and then two at large teams, this would let a lesser conference that may have an undefeated team, like say Utah, Boise State or Ball State be included.
            So we would have the same 6 conference champs of this year (including two that few would say deserve to be there), plus only two of the following group:

Texas
            Alabama
            Utah
            Texas Tech
            Boise
            (USC could have easily been in this group as well).

Not sure how this solves anything.

Comment

Just use the final BCS computer standings to pick the 8, then 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5. Then semis with high vs. low remaining seeds, and middle vs. middle remaining seeds. Then the final. Simple. No exceptions, ever.

Comment

I would personally use the existing BCS system to pick the 8 teams. I think it does a pretty good job getting the cream of the crop to rise to the top...it's splitting hairs between teams at the very top is where it has a problem.

I'm against giving a guaranteed spot to conferences. Seriously, the ACC & Big East are major conferences in name only. I'd rather see 3 Big 12, 2 SEC, 1 Big 10, Utah and USC in an 8-team tournament.

Comment

Sixteen teams is too many, just as 65 teams is too many in basketball. If memory serves, a #16 seed has never beaten a #1 seed. I think one #15 seed may have won over a #2. Someone can look it up.

I think the BCS does a better job of identifying the top eight teams, irrespective of conference. If you automatically include Conference champions of selected conferences, go to 16 team playoff and limit regular season to 11 games.

I can't quarrel too loudly about holding first round , and possibly the second round playoff games at home site of higher rated team. I do believe there is merit in rotating the championship among the major bowls.

Some conferences are unwieldy. North/South and East/West Divisions lead to
                  unfair schedules for the regular season and mismatched playoff games. Let every team in the league play every other team in the league every year. There are enough weak teams in every league to substitute for the pre-conference stat padders. They are already being some other leagues patsys.

If that is more than 12 games, get rid of somebody, ala SWC/Big8 = Big 12.
                  No team would play more than 15 games in a season.
                  Who knows, maybe the perrenial doormats in the stronger leagues would welcome being competitive in a lesser league.

Comment

My Buddy's BCS Format

I wanted to keep the post brief, but he added:

If my system was used this year it would look like this.................

Saturday December 6 11am (1) Texas/Big 12 Champ vs. (8)** Utah - Gator Bowl
                    3pm (2) ** Oklahoma vs. (7) Virginia Tech/ACC Champ - Cotton Bowl
                    Quarterfinals 6pm (3) Florida/SEC Champ vs. (6) Cincinnati/Big East Champ - Fiesta Bowl
                    9pm (4) USC/Pac 10 Champ vs. (5) Penn State/Big 10 Champ - Capital One Bowl

** Indicates at large berth, yes Alabama would be out at 12-1 record but did not win conference and sorry to boise state. Notice my system gives the nod to head-to-head battles and that is why Texas is my No. 1 seed and not Oklahoma, Florida lost at home to ole miss and USC lost to Oregon state which were worse than texas' loss to texas tech, so you see my methodology for seeding. the relevance of conference games now goes up another notch!!!!

Saturday December 13 3pm (1) vs. (8) winner vs. (4) vs. (5) winner - Orange Bowl
                    6pm (2) vs. (7) winner vs. (3) vs. (6) winner - Sugar Bowl
                    Semi-Finals

January 1, 2009 7PM Semi -Finals winners (Championship) - Rose Bowl

All other bowls would proceed as normal from December 17 -31st

I respect his opinion because he's a scheduling genius, and a South Fla. ESPN host once told him his was the best NCAA D-1-AA football title solution he'd ever heard.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                      Sixteen teams is too many, just as 65 teams is too many in basketball. If memory serves, a #16 seed has never beaten a #1 seed. I think one #15 seed may have won over a #2. Someone can look it up.
                      Yes, but a basketball 1 vs 16 is a top 4 team vs a team ranked 61-64 in the tournament (and way deeper when non-tourney teams are included), so it's not surprising that 1-16 or 2-15 upsets rarely, if ever, happen.

The #1 team in the nation losing to the #16 team in the nation in football is very feasible, just as a #1 seed in the NCAA basketball tourney losing to a #4 or #5 seed is not a rarity.

This season has clearly shown us that the conference winner requirement is folly, as UT clearly had equal claim to be in the Big XII championship game (and TTU had an argument as well), and teams like VaTech and Cincinnatti likely do not belong.

Comment

I think that winning the BCS poll should count for something. So I would give the first two teams a bye for the first round of the playoffs. Therefore

3 vs 6
                        4 vs 5

(unless from the same conference)

then 1 vs winner of 4 vs 5
                        and 2 vs winner of 3 vs 6

Of course this will never happen so long as the BCS Championship Bowl continues to present a reasonable championship game. If the championship game was, say, Boise State vs Utah instead of Oklahoma vs Florida, then everyone from the college presidents on down would be yelling to do away with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X