Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why So Many Great Pigeon-Toed Athletes?

Jackie Robinson
    Robert Lee Hayes
    Michael Jordan
    John Elway
    Dominique Wilkins

http://www.elitetrack.com/blogs/details/3820/

I don't know but my college coach tried to get us run pigeon toed. And, wear competion spikes on size too small.

Comment

Houston McTear/Floyd Little/Quinn Buckner

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Running slew-footed compromises forward motion.

The coach covered in this book insisted that his players walk pigeon-toed!

http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/Pr ... 1558537457

Comment

I seem to remember reading in the magazine at the time that Jimmy Hines was pigeon-toed.

Comment

there's probably some bio-mechanical validation

humans aren't perfectly evolved yet - we are evolved quadripeds standing upright after only ~ 1 million years with almost certainly problems not yet "evolved out" - lumbar spine of human has not yet fully evolved to take care of the weight it supports - that's why such a high incidence of low back pain in the world

similarly, lower limbs are probably not evolved enough yet to have a "straight gait"

the clue is simple

the thigh muscle is not symmetrical vertically - it is massively favoured by outer aspect ( see leroy burrell ) - this favours inward toeing thru leverage downwards & anyone who adapts accordingly, will do well - maximal use of lateral thigh strength

Comment

I dont know anything but, it seems to me a lot of runners when sprinting throw there foot out to the side and when you see the foot plant its at a 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock angle or worse. Most of the great sprinters land their foot closer to a 12 o'clock angle. Tyson Gay comes to mind.
            phsstt!

Comment

Wasn't McTear pretty pigeon-toed?

Comment

Putting on my science hat for a minute (oops, doesn't fit as well as it used to; need to go for a Barry Bonds-sized one!)..... is the basic premise perhaps false?

Is there any study that shows how many people in the general populace are "pigeon-toed" (is that even quantifiable?)? And if so, is that percentage any different than amongst "great" athletes?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  Putting on my science hat for a minute (oops, doesn't fit as well as it used to; need to go for a Barry Bonds-sized one!)..... is the basic premise perhaps false?

Is there any study that shows how many people in the general populace are "pigeon-toed" (is that even quantifiable?)? And if so, is that percentage any different than amongst "great" athletes?
                  I am not an expert here, bambam may correct me, but my understanding of a pigeon-toing is that it represents a mixed bag of minor orthopedic congenital anomalies (ranging from a hip to a foot). Since it is a wastebasket of diagnoses, I agree with gh that the term is too vague to make any reasonable biomechanical conclusions.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                    Originally posted by gh

I am not an expert here, bambam may correct me, but my understanding of a pigeon-toing is that it represents a mixed bag of minor orthopedic congenital anomalies (ranging from a hip to a foot). Since it is a wastebasket of diagnoses, I agree with gh that the term is too vague to make any reasonable biomechanical conclusions.
                    Pego is correct - pigeon-toeing ("in-toeing" orthopaedically) can occur anywhere from the hip to the foot. We know about this tendency but don't know why there seem to be a lot of great athletes who are pigeon-toed. The other ? by EGH about what is the % of the population with the tendency is a very good one and I do not know the answer.

Comment

Working...
                    X