X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Re: Operation Valkyrie

Finally got around to the Blu-ray tonite. I was pleasantly surprised. While not claiming an encyclopedic knowledge of the real-life story, the plot line remained close enough to the facts as I recall them (although perhaps aggrandizing von Stauffenberg--err, Cruises's--role in the attempt to lock up Berlin).

Pretty well acted, although Cruise remains too much of a pretty boy to be truly believable in any historically relevant role.

To quote Byron: "Tis strange but true, but truth is always stranger than fiction." (as in, you couldn't make up a thriller as good as this one)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    If you get the Military Channel (and I suspect it's a staple of most packages these days) and have any more interest in this subject, they're currently running (and re-running and re-running, as they have a wont to do) a Brit series called Hitler's Bodyguard. Just before I went to Millrose last week I taped an episode called "The Wolf's Lair" which features largely the whole Valkyrie thing. Seeing the shots of the Wolfsschanze after the bomb went off, hard to believe anyone lived, let alone Hitler.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    One of the best books ever written. I was meaning to pull it out and reread the section(s) about Valkyrie before seeing the movie. ...
    It's chapter 29 (pp 1014-1082 in the original hardback).

Funnily enough, the thing I remember most about the last reading was learning a new word. A word that saved Hitler's life.

socle

(I doubt they use it in the movie)

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooter Brown
    I can't get past his Midwestern accent while playing a German. Dude, at least try...or at least use the Hollywood "British" accent that is used in lieu of all accents.
    Good call - that was indeed the only major problem with the film. All the other principal actors had that Brit-tinged accent except Cruise. I got the impression that were told to sound half-Brit and half-American, just so Cruise wouldn't seem so out of place.

The film excelled in screenplay, direction, cinematography, production values, and attention to detail, but the acting was just 'good'; there really wasn't much call for 'great' acting. Cruise looked suitably 'serious' throughout, but nothing special. It was a gorgeous film, and they did indeed stick to the 'real history' as I understood it, but it didn't wow me, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Knowing how it turned out cut the suspense, even though it did stay 'dramatic' throughout. It'll get good reviews (3 stars?) and make good box office, mostly because of Cruise. It's one of those films that won't disappoint the audience, but won't live up to what Cruise wanted.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    Originally posted by gh
    Schirer's extensive description of Valkyrie in Rise & Fall Of The Third Reich reads just like a spy novel. And an exciting one at that. I hope they don't screw with the history, because there are enough plot twists and cliffhangers that it couldn't get any better.
    One of the best books ever written. I was meaning to pull it out and reread the section(s) about Valkyrie before seeing the movie. Not screw with history? In a Tom Cruise made-in-the-USA-for-pea-brain-mainstream-movie-going-masses? Good luck. Figure on a few love triangles, an ascent of K2 by the plotters to get some exotic extraterrestrial element for the bomb, James Bond-style secret weapons, and involvement of Czar Nicholas II.
    Agreed. Not to alter history is totally unacceptable, even when unnecessary .

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Schirer's extensive description of Valkyrie in Rise & Fall Of The Third Reich reads just like a spy novel. And an exciting one at that. I hope they don't screw with the history, because there are enough plot twists and cliffhangers that it couldn't get any better.
    Do you remember the significance of 'Operation Valkyrie'? Hint: the conspirators did NOT come up with it.

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    One of the best books ever written. I was meaning to pull it out and reread the section(s) about Valkyrie before seeing the movie. Not screw with history? In a Tom Cruise made-in-the-USA-for-pea-brain-mainstream-movie-going-masses? Good luck. Figure on a few love triangles, an ascent of K2 by the plotters to get some exotic extraterrestrial element for the bomb, James Bond-style secret weapons, and involvement of Czar Nicholas II.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    The Kreissau Group, which planned the operation, was led by Count Helmuth von Moltke, and meetings were held on his estate, Kreissau. Von Moltke was part of a famous German military family.

But here's the question: I've heard that 1968 Olympic decathlete Werner von Moltke (one-time [still?] president of the German volleyball federation) was Helmuth von Moltke's son. I've not been able to verify that. Anyone know one way or another?

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    I can't get past his Midwestern accent while playing a German. Dude, at least try...or at least use the Hollywood "British" accent that is used in lieu of all accents.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I don't remember that I ever knew the details of the operation, just that it failed.
    This movie is on my "watch" list.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    started a topic Operation Valkyrie

Operation Valkyrie

Going to see this movie tonight, so I read up on the real story. Absolutely amazing. Who remembers from their history lessons what the fiendishly clever part of the conspirators' plot was in re: the 'Operation' (not the actual assassination attempt) itself? I had forgotten, but is was brilliant!

I read that this film is a vanity project by Cruise (Exec. Producer) to garner himself an Oscar nod.
Working...
X