Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gm
    precisely why you use a shotgun...

Preferably sawed off, in close quarters. But don't show or tell the cops; highly illegal in most (if not all) states.

Two other rules to think about:

1. Never try to kill someone unless you are prepared to die yourself.

2. Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

LOTS of personal definitions for that last one, I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
      I prefer to pay taxes and let the state protect me.
      That's precisely what the guy who chose you as a victim hoping. It's a very effective strategy. Just ask the armed, cracked-out would-be rapist/burglar/all-around bad guy to have a seat on the futon whilst you call the constable that you pay your taxes for. He'll be there in a few minutes, and I'm sure they guy won't mind waiting until he gets there. :roll: :shock:
      I the interest of full disclosure: I stopped a guy in my parents house when I was 17 with a 12 guage when my dad was away on business and my mother was asleep. I thank God to this day that I didn't have to pull the trigger because as soon as he saw me (and I, trembling, suggested that I would separate his head from his body if he took another step) he did the smart thing and turned tail and ran.

But there is also absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would have made good on my threat had he so much as flinched in my direction. The only thought in my mind at that moment was: "I'm the only thing between this guy and Mom."

Comment

Originally posted by Zat0pek
        Originally posted by Pego
        I prefer to pay taxes and let the state protect me.
        That's precisely what the guy who chose you as a victim hoping. It's a very effective strategy. Just ask the armed, cracked-out would-be rapist/burglar/all-around bad guy to have a seat on the futon whilst you call the constable that you pay your taxes for. He'll be there in a few minutes, and I'm sure they guy won't mind waiting until he gets there. :roll: :shock:
        I the interest of full disclosure: I stopped a guy in my parents house when I was 17 with a 12 guage when my dad was away on business and my mother was asleep. I thank God to this day that I didn't have to pull the trigger because as soon as he saw me (and I, trembling, suggested that I would separate his head from his body if he took another step) he did the smart thing and turned tail and ran.

But there is also absolutely no doubt in my mind that I would have made good on my threat had he so much as flinched in my direction. The only thought in my mind at that moment was: "I'm the only thing between this guy and Mom."
        One certainly hears stories like this. More commonly, I hear stories when somebody got accidentally blown away.
        Notion that arming everybody reduces crime is totally baseless. USA has more arms in private hands than any country in the world. Do we have lower crime rate? Hardly.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I stopped a guy in my parents house when I was 17 with a 12 guage when my dad was away on business and my mother was asleep. . . . . The only thought in my mind at that moment was: "I'm the only thing between this guy and Mom."
          Then I totally understand your position. But you also need to understand that those of us who have not had that experience do not wish to a part of that experience at all. If you have a gun aimed at a thief, you greatly increase the odds of something going wrong, including exacerbating the situation to endanger loved ones that would have been left alone.

Comment

Having a gun around the house for protection is a concept I can work with. Having the 'need' to pack a gun 24x7 in order to feel safe is symptomatic of a level of fear that is, in almost all cases, extremely excessive.

Comment

Gun ownership in a country like Switzerland is very high and murder rates (and accidental gun deaths) are very low. Something is quite wrong in the US in this regard--something that ever-increasing gun ownership can't solve...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                Gun ownership in a country like Switzerland is very high and murder rates (and accidental gun deaths) are very low.
                That's because they all wear bullet-proof armor, and don't want to get any gunpowder on those white gloves.

Comment

YES.....and the fact that military training/national guard service is required (or at least WAS required) of every adult male...and the fact that people are less crazy and aggressive there...for better or worse, their social fabric has a very different texture from ours...

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
                    YES.....and the fact that military training/national guard service is required (or at least WAS required) of every adult male...
                    And as a strict interpreter of the Constitution, the TOE knows that the ONLY reason Americans have the right to bear arms is IF it is as part of a well-regulated militia.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
                    The second half of that statement does not stand alone. If everyone who wants to have a gun is a member of the National Guard, Reserves, or active military, or is a member of a law enforcement agency, they may keep their weapon at home. The rest of you, not so much. If you want to do target shooting or go hunting, join the Guard, drill once a month and for two weeks in the summer. :twisted:

Comment

Re: Rules For A Gunfight

I depart from the "the caliber of which doesn't begin with less than a '4' " when carrying concealed, however. My usual professional dress doesn't accomodate concealing something that big, so I go with a little .380 there. Better than nothing.

Break in to my house at night, however, and you'll be greeted with either a Ruger GP-100 .357 or a .40 Glock.
                      I too have a Ruger .357; it's a tad big for the Beateous Babs though, she'll have to hope that the Ruger .22 Magnum will suffice.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

I depart from the "the caliber of which doesn't begin with less than a '4' " when carrying concealed, however. My usual professional dress doesn't accomodate concealing something that big, so I go with a little .380 there. Better than nothing.

Break in to my house at night, however, and you'll be greeted with either a Ruger GP-100 .357 or a .40 Glock.
                        I too have a Ruger .357; it's a tad big for the Beateous Babs though, she'll have to hope that the Ruger .22 Magnum will suffice.
                        As the Dark Helmet in Spaceballs says to Lonestar."
                        "I see, your schwartz is as big as mine."
                        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Guns scare the hell out of me, im betting that fear doesnt come back to haunt me!Living where i do, the gun if used, would most likely be some kind of accident. BTW There was a recent home invasion with rape and murder about 20 mins from me. :cry:
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by gh

What, no Derringer?

[The gun of choice for most females of that generation.]

Comment

Working...
                            X