Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

End Of Year Geography Quiz, Question 4:

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • End Of Year Geography Quiz, Question 4:

    Pego sits this one out

    4. What is greater - the height of Mount Everest or the depth of the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean?

    (note: Marianas—which is what I've always called it—wins the google war, but National Geographic, which is a pretty good definitive source, says it's Mariana, singular)

  • #2
    Re: End Of Year Geography Quiz, Question 4:

    Originally posted by gh
    Pego sits this one out

    4. What is greater - the height of Mount Everest or the depth of the Mariana Trench in the Pacific Ocean?

    (note: Marianas—which is what I've always called it—wins the google war, but National Geographic, which is a pretty good definitive source, says it's Mariana, singular)
    latter

    i believe ~ 29k to ~ 35k

    there is something about a south american mountain being taller, because it has a ?submerged base

    Comment


    • #3
      definitely the trench...

      Comment


      • #4
        official answer

        4. At its deepest, the Mariana Trench is 36,198 feet below sea level. The summit of Everest is "only" 29,035 feet above sea level.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: End Of Year Geography Quiz, Question 4:

          Originally posted by eldrick
          ...

          there is something about a south american mountain being taller, because it has a ?submerged base
          Mauna Kea is 32,000 from ocean floor

          Comment


          • #6
            apologies for being inaccurate

            hope you believe it was an honest shot...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: End Of Year Geography Quiz, Question 4:

              Originally posted by eldrick
              there is something about a south american mountain being taller, because it has a ?submerged base
              Might be thinking of this:
              "The inactive stratovolcano Chimborazo (pronounced [tʃimboˈraso]) is Ecuador's highest summit. Its last eruption is thought to have occurred some time in the first millennium AD. Its summit is generally regarded as the spot on the surface farthest from the center of the Earth (since the Earth is not a perfect sphere), measuring 6,384.4 km (3,968 mi) from the Earth's core to the peak."

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimborazo_(volcano)

              Comment


              • #8
                This board being what it is, we've done Chimborazo before, of course

                http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... chimborazo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gh
                  This board being what it is, we've done Chimborazo before, of course

                  http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... chimborazo
                  "-Here's Treasure Island. Ever read this book?

                  - Oh, yeah, that's a great book. I'd highly
                  recommend that one.

                  - No need for that. I've read it myself.

                  - Yeah?

                  -But my mind is going,
                  so it'll all be new to me."

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X