Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rasb
    replied
    If the truth be told, gh, you are home in B.C. You may be 1000 miles or 1600 kilometres from your current residence, but you are home :wink:

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by cullman
    It was the RCMP in the St Roch. Boy, that takes me back to Grade 2.

cman
    So, in the silly coincidence department, today I'm on Burrard, come off the bridge into Kits and there's a sign, "Maritime Museum--St. Roch."

(silly coincidence because I'm a thousand miles or so from home)

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by rasb
    Correct....and the real-life Canadian police officer who was part of the rationale for Sgt. Preston was ...... (amazing story, by the way).
    too easy - Dudley Doright.

Actually, the correct answer is Sam Steele, who was a legendary member of the NorthWest Mounted Police. Apparently, he did a fine job of keeping relative peace in the Canadian West and North, while hardly drawing his gun,
    much in contrast to the Wyatt Earps to the South.
    One of Steele's early assignments was meeting with a Mr. Bull (first name - Sitting), who had recently crossed the Border after a dustup with a fellow named Custer.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    14. The Northwest Passage

Who became the first to do it west to east (used to be an essential part of learning Canadian history)? We even saw a documentary in elementary school.
    Had to be Stan Rogers - he sang about it.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by rasb
    Correct....and the real-life Canadian police officer who was part of the rationale for Sgt. Preston was ...... (amazing story, by the way).
    too easy - Dudley Doright.

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    Yukon King was the malamute raised by wolves
    Rex was the horse

Leave a comment:

• rasb
    replied
    I am surprised they didn't make a cell call to Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, and his wonder dog King.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Ya gotta love the RCMP:

<<....During the first navigation of the St. Roch, between 1940 and 1942, she sheltered in Pasley Bay in the winter of 1941. Here, Constable Albert Chartrand died suddenly from a heart attack. Captain Larsen and Corporal Hunt traveled 800 miles by dogsled to find a Roman Catholic priest to deliver a service for him....>>

Talk about always getting your man!

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Henry Larsen. Even he was born in Norway

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    It was the RCMP in the St Roch. Boy, that takes me back to Grade 2.

cman

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Per Andersen
    Is it the passage Roald Amundsen sailed in 1906 without the benefit of Global Warming - The Northwest Passage?
    14. The Northwest Passage, a northern trade route between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. Roald Amundsen forced his way through the arctic pack ice in 1906, but in the summer of 2007 the route opened to shipping without the need for an icebreaker.

Who became the first to do it west to east (used to be an essential part of learning Canadian history)? We even saw a documentary in elementary school.

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    Next Question please

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied
    Is it the passage Roald Amundsen sailed in 1906 without the benefit of Global Warming - The Northwest Passage?

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied
    A clean bathroom at a rest stop?

Ya got me on this one. I'm guessing it's something way up on top of Canuckistan, but can't for the life of me think what it might be.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X