Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Year History Quiz 2: Who discovered America

Maybe Christopher Columbus was very far behind? (about 500 years?)

Or if you count the Asians who may have crossed over the Bering Strait Ice Bridge (I can see Russia from here), perhaps 10,000 years late.

Comment

Good point. And maybe some of our "heroes" from the history not even should deserve a podium position? 8-)

Comment

Folks in the Americas were dreaming of space aliens whilst sipping hot coco and eating mushrooms long before Chris and Isabella met.
        Tom Hyland:
        "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

It is interesting how most of us still measure history in terms of recorded "European-based" history. Imagine what was happening in Europe at the points in human history, when the Chinese, or Egyptians, or Aztetcs, or Incas, or Persians, etc., etc., etc. were developing thriving societies.

Comment

History is written by the victors

Comment

Is history all about victors and losers? Are there other ways to enjoy
              the meaning of life?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                History is written by the victors
                Fair enough, except the concept of history, as we know it, is changing by the day, by the minute even.
                It wasn't so long ago that "the Sun would never set on the British Empire". Or the USA had "won" the Cold War. Now there is another war in progress, perhaps depending on whether or when the Chinese and Japanese and other Nations decide to cash in their USA holdings.
                And even today......the Indian and Pakistani troops are apparently moving towards their mutual border. The Israelis and Hamas are killing each other in the Gaza. The Russians are in Venezuela and Cuba. And so on....
                Hopefully, the history of the World will not be written by those who detonate the last and biggest nuclear device.

Comment

Then in a (may be) future.

"The history used to be written by the vicors" ?

Comment

History and geography were my worst subjects in school ops: but...Clovis, New Mexico had the remains of a human dating back 13,000 years which were thought to be the oldest on record. Castle Hill, North Carolina has remains that date back 20,000 years which puts the kibosh on the "Clovis first" theory.

It's starting to look like the first North American settlers migrated across the Atlantic from Europe and were descendants of the Salutrians as indicated by skeletal remains and bi-facial spear points which are also found in Clovis.

cman

Comment

The Victors

Common Brown Roach publishes ~~The World As I Saw It!~~
                      a definative history of the world.
                      Tom Hyland:

Comment

After all the above answers I do not think anyone said... Leif Ericksson

Comment

Tricky answer Americo Vespucci.
                          logic :twisted: until he found it, it was called cypher
                          I will go with Bering migration.
                          Tom Hyland:

Comment

Does Bigfoot count?
                            There are no strings on me

Comment

Where's Dick Pound when you need him?

Comment

Working...
                              X