End of Year Geography Quiz, Question 17:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of Year Geography Quiz, Question 17:

17. Roughly what percent of the Earth's surface is land? (I remember learning as a fraction as a kid, not a %)

1/5.

Comment

1/3

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
        1/5.
        Nope, and gh didn't specify if we're counting land buried by glaciers, because if all the glaciers on land melted, that would flood other coastal area.

Not trying to be difficult, but it's a bit of a trick question :wink:
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Dammit, I put a fraction. OK, using the clue from the previous question about 60 million land and 130 million sea, I get 31.5%. These last two questions should have been together.

Comment

Ice is not land ...... I stick with 1/5....and I know that is a fraction

Comment

Double dammit, I didn't factor in lakes. Wasn't that an earlier question? Not to mention rivers, streams, etc. I'll stop here and agree with rasb, but put it in a percent as 20%.

I so want to be the first one to get one of these right. Knowledge of geography would probably help me though. I'm waiting for the end of year statistics quiz. Might get one or two of those right.

Sigh. I need a life.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                Dammit, I put a fraction. OK, using the clue from the previous question about 60 million land and 130 million sea, I get 31.5%. These last two questions should have been together.
                For some reason I am compelled to agree but I am closer to 30/70 in my mind
                so if we are going to1/10s score me 30.6543879865431299003...%
                on noon GMT 1jan2009

bonus- how much unfrozen fresh water

question of a life time-how long will it last
                Tom Hyland:
                "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

I learned "4/5 water" from the time I was a toddler. But the "official" answer to this question is

<<17. 30 percent.>>

Since the question was phrased as "roughly," I think McGato's 31.5 is good enough!

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                    Ice is not land ......
                    True, BUT -

Some land, such as Antarctica and Greenland, is buried under hundreds and thousands of feet of ice, much as land under the sea is buried under hundreds and thousands of feet of water. IF all the ice melted on those land masses to expose the land, the water would cause the oceans to cover now-exposed coastal territory.

Like I said, complicated question.
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

You are a tough judge, GH!!!
                      Obviously, I grew up with the 1/5 formula as you did, coming both from the British Columbia School System.
                      By the way, I do know that 1/5 = 20 %.

Comment

rasb is getting screwed. His 1/5 should get full credit.

Comment

Working...
                        X