Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the highest point on the Continental Divide?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary

NY subway track

Yes. But subway line was it? What station? Was it the A train?
    That's Ellington's line. He took it all the time.

In a similar vien, I like to walk into " Subway" restaurants, here in the midwest, and note to the Food Servers there that they sell a "BMT", and then ask them, " What does BMT stand for ? They just stare at me...

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Try to google this question.
    (via kuha) What was the last track Jack Lovelock was on?
    NY subway track
    Too freaking easy - I'll give you one guess where the answer was (via Google!)
    Old, so old.... we went through this one here about 4-5 years ago !
    Yes. But subway line was it? What station? Was it the A train?

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    NY subway track
    Old, so old.... we went through this one here about 4-5 years ago !

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    NY subway track

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    Why say it's OK to cheat?
    The ONLY good trivia questions are the ones that require research and are STILL hard!! I do that with my students occasionally and it takes very good critical thinking skills.

Try this one: What French singer covered US and UK hits successfully and got his/her stage name from the title of one of those songs?

The answer is googlable with the right choice of search terms.
    Seems pretty idiotic to believe there is any thinking involved in googling in key words and getting an answer on a question like that.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by Vince
    Originally posted by gh
    Marlow/tafnut has a long history of cheating (sorry, "cheating"); as I recall, within a month of the startup of the board we banned him for violating "fair-play" rules in that regard. And he wonders why I have a longstanding antipathy against him.
    You sure can hold a grudge.
    By that measure, there are a few of "us" here that deserve to be boiled in oil and shot between the eyes (in that order)...

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    OK, OK. No cheating ever on any of my threads! Got that?!?!

(edit)

P.S. I figured about nobody would get this one without looking it up, but it's an interesting little fact.

Gray's Peak 14,270 ft. One of the easiest 14ers to hike in Colorado.
    Wow, that is great to know, since I have been up Gray's and Torrey's (just another half mile or so for another 14er} several times when I lived in Boulder. Its proximity to Denver and being a very easy climb made it the one to take sea level visitors to.

Leave a comment:

• Vince
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Marlow/tafnut has a long history of cheating (sorry, "cheating"); as I recall, within a month of the startup of the board we banned him for violating "fair-play" rules in that regard. And he wonders why I have a longstanding antipathy against him.
    You sure can hold a grudge.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    The above is a fair response IMO.... I do not recall you being a violator.

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    Oh, THAT'S the reason! :roll: I guess you never noticed that after that very first trivia question you posted back in the day, when I had no idea what 'cheating' was, I have NOT posted an answer after looking it up. But not to worry - you're 'antipathy' is neither reciprocated nor a cause of consternation here. 8-)

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied
    http://www.nationalatlas.gov/articles/g ... alDiv.html

Great Divide
    Eastern Divide
    Northern Divide
    St.Laurence Seaway Divide

Divided Definitions

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Originally posted by DrJay
    I figured about nobody would get this one without looking it up, but it's an interesting little fact.

I think you might be surprised at what some people can retrieve from the back of their brains. There are regularly trivia questions here (both T&NF and non-T&F that completely stump me, but that someone else nails.

Of course, if nobody gets the answer, you can always reveal it in a few days, but telling people to cheat, when cheating is very easy, seems to make the whole exercise pointless.

(If I'm not mistaken, that dead horse I've just beaten will be a thread-ender. )

Edit: Of course, I knew that once I posted that last line, somone would find a way to keep this thing going. :roll:

Leave a comment:

• DrJay
    replied
    OK, OK. No cheating ever on any of my threads! Got that?!?!

(edit)

P.S. I figured about nobody would get this one without looking it up, but it's an interesting little fact.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    "cheating"/looking up entirely destroys the fun and integrity of " Track Trivia". What's fun is digging these pearls out of our nerdy T&F memory tanks ! No reason that same concept should not apply to occasional general trivia as well. Particularly with the advent of google-type computer resources for quickie answers.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X