end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 25:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 25:

25. It's more than 8,000 feet shorter than Everest, yet the summit of the 20,565-foot-high volcano called Chimborazo is the farthest point from the center of the Earth. Why is that, and where would you find the mountain?

(if this sounds familiar think we've done it twice already in the last year or so)

I imagine it must be on or near the Earth's equator. I would guess in the Andes in Ecuador. The Earth, not being flat, sticks out farther at the equator.

Comment

Re: end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 25:

Originally posted by gh
      (if this sounds familiar think we've done it twice already in the last year or so)
      I think one of the mentions was on an earlier question.

Comment

The Earth is an "oblate spheroid. "

Comment

25. It's in Ecuador. The Earth is not a perfect sphere; like many of us, it bulges at the middle (the equator). It's been calculated that Chimborazo's top is 3,967.08 miles from the Earth's center, 1.7 miles farther than Everest's. Chimborazo, incidentally, was first climbed by Edward Wymper, conqueror of the Matterhorn.

Comment

Re: end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 25:

Originally posted by mcgato
            Originally posted by gh
            I think one of the mentions was on an earlier question.
            Question #4

Comment

creator's note in his corrections:

<<-- Finally, Alex McMurray pointed out that we misspelled the name of the conqueror of the Matterhorn. So, in his honor, this article will end not with a bang, but with a (correctly spelled) Whymper.>>

Comment

Working...
              X