Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The sad state of sports journalism

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The sad state of sports journalism

    see the penetrating piece now on front page... written from Brit point of view, but applies here too.

    <<...Humphries’ fear is that “page after page of jerked-out opinion buttressed by unchecked facts” will soon be the only form of sports coverage available to any of us....>>

  • #2
    Re: The sad state of sports journalism

    Originally posted by gh
    see the penetrating piece now on front page... written from Brit point of view, but applies here too.

    <<...Humphries’ fear is that “page after page of jerked-out opinion buttressed by unchecked facts” will soon be the only form of sports coverage available to any of us....>>
    Which is why the keen minded T&F enthusiast gets their info. from your products.

    Comment


    • #3
      I never cease to be amazed at any of the TV sports talk shows. The misinformation ALWAYS drowns out any logic, and the opinions are so risibly poorly constructed that I can't help but wonder whether the shows' ONLY value is comedic. And don't even get me started on the phone-in Sports Radio shows . . . I fear for democracy! :shock: :roll: :twisted:

      Comment


      • #4
        There are some good sports journalists, but mainly in the broadsheets and on the radio. I'm sure you've heard us Brits moan about some of the BBC athletics presenters! But the Times generally has the best written articles.

        I don't know why they're raising this issue now. It's been blindingly obvious that the tabloid style of reporting - more gossip and celebrity than actual fact - has been growing and growing. What baffles me is that people seem to enjoy reading it - there's an element of tribalism in it that appeals I think. People seem to enjoy a good rant that reinforces their prejudices as opposed to something thoughtful.

        Comment


        • #5
          To listen to the drivel from the booths of TV commentators of football and basketball games is getting intolerable.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

          Comment


          • #6
            Particularly that roundtable NFL crew ( Johnson, Bradshaw, Collinsworth etc.) They all sit there talking/grinning all projecting EGO ! EGO !! EGO !!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dukehjsteve
              Particularly that roundtable NFL crew ( Johnson, Bradshaw, Collinsworth etc.) They all sit there talking/grinning all projecting EGO ! EGO !! EGO !!!
              I WILL watch Terry, Howie & Jimmy- they crack me up every time!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Marlow
                Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                Particularly that roundtable NFL crew ( Johnson, Bradshaw, Collinsworth etc.) They all sit there talking/grinning all projecting EGO ! EGO !! EGO !!!
                I WILL watch Terry, Howie & Jimmy- they crack me up every time!
                Huey, Loui and Dewey are incomparably more entertaining. No smiley inserted.
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Marlow
                  I never cease to be amazed at any of the TV sports talk shows. The misinformation ALWAYS drowns out any logic, and the opinions are so risibly poorly constructed that I can't help but wonder whether the shows' ONLY value is comedic.
                  I sometimes feel the same way about tv panels discussing important public issues. I get the sense that some of the panelists are just doing what AthleticsInBritain described--giving people "a good rant that reinforces their prejudices as opposed to something thoughtful."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've been complaining about that for years too. Unfortunately for most people, listening to a well reasoned discussion about a complex issue is rather boring. But a lot of those same people will be entertained by listening to two people scream at each other without giving any reasonable support to their side, other than volume.

                    Cue up 'Network.' News as entertainment (and profit) is bad.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X