Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 34:

34. The greatest time change at any international border is 3 hours, 30 minutes. Where is this?

China into Afghanistan. Or vice versa.

Comment

Canada!

Comment

34. The border between Afghanistan and China - a little-used pass at the eastern end of the narrow Wakhan Corridor, a geopolitical relic of the 19th century struggle between the British and Russian empires in Central Asia. It's so remote that the Taliban never even bothered with it. One reason the time change is so great is that all of China is on Beijing time.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          all of China is on Beijing time.
          I never knew that. That seems most unusual, given how wide the country is, East to West. Not as wide as Russia, but still much wider than even two normal time zones.

Comment

During WW2, did not the USA do some consolidation of time zones ?

Comment

Wait a minute...a person could walk and swim from Blaine to Bell Island on the Canada US border...difference in time zones between Washington State and Newfoundland...3 hours 30 minutes.

cman

Comment

C'mon, cman. If you're going to allow swimming long distances, you might as well say that a person could swim from California to China and cross 8 time zones. Or swim from Nova Scotia to China by way of Cape Horn and cross 12 time zones.

Comment

Exactamundo...the wording of this question (and a few others ) isn't clear to me.

cman

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    I never knew that. That seems most unusual, given how wide the country is, East to West. Not as wide as Russia, but still much wider than even two normal time zones.
                    I think I heard or read the answer to this during the Olympics. I figured that China stayed on one time zone because much of the western half of the country is sparsely populated, but what do I know. Could also be the controlling nature of a communist government.

Oh, and I may get the record of a correct answer posted one minute after the posting of the question.

Comment

The CORRECT answer is actually 50 years...

...at the South Korea-North Korea border...

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                        Originally posted by tandfman
                        I think I heard or read the answer to this during the Olympics. I figured that China stayed on one time zone because much of the western half of the country is sparsely populated, but what do I know. Could also be the controlling nature of a communist government.

Oh, and I may get the record of a correct answer posted one minute after the posting of the question.
                        I'm pretty sure I got # 35 in 5 minutes ( Garry has yet to confirm) but your 1 minute is a whole lot quicker !

Comment

The question didn't specify it had to be a land border, so how about the 22 hours between Alaska and Russia?
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                          X