• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jett Travolta, actor's son passes away at 16

I'm a big fan. This is a sad beginning to a new year

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... .travolta/

Kawasaki disease is a nightmare

it can bugger the heart at very young age, which means this kinda scenario is possible ( but still rare, depending upon degree of affliction )

i never heard of the cleaning product connection but i never had to look at the literature since '90 when i had to do a presentation on it ( just "another" auto-immune disease in those days - unknown cause & good for a lunchtime lecture with large crates of wine - preceded in previous weeks by SLE, Behcet's, Scleroderma, Goodpasture's... )

if cleaning product is causal ( i'm sure Travolta will set up a charity now to churn large amounts of money towards more research ) , maybe something useful will come out of the publicity ( perhaps even basis to auto-immunity... )

perhaps wood panelled floors & simple soap/water cleaning

Comment

Tragic, indeed, but I'm forever amazed at people's willingness and need to blame something, anything, for their or their family member's illness.
      Carpet cleaning products? Why not the fact that they took the LA Times, or listened to a lot of Neil Young, or drank Tropicana orange juice, or drove a Prius, or used Tide laundry detergent, or...you get the point. The problem is when this sort of thinking leads to multi-billion dollar class action lawsuits against companies like Dow Corning, with scientifically disproven claims that silicon breast implants cause autoimmune disease leading to huge out-of-court settlements to avoid the cost of litigation and the potential for larger awards. Science is ignored and hysteria favored.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
        Tragic, indeed, but I'm forever amazed at people's willingness and need to blame something, anything, for their or their family member's illness.
        Carpet cleaning products? Why not the fact that they took the LA Times, or listened to a lot of Neil Young, or drank Tropicana orange juice, or drove a Prius, or used Tide laundry detergent, or...you get the point. The problem is when this sort of thinking leads to multi-billion dollar class action lawsuits against companies like Dow Corning, with scientifically disproven claims that silicon breast implants cause autoimmune disease leading to huge out-of-court settlements to avoid the cost of litigation and the potential for larger awards. Science is ignored and hysteria favored.
        Let me join the outcry of indignation.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Kudos for that, Dr. Jay. And I hope it wasn't Neil Young or I'm in trouble.

Comment

There's more than "science" at work here:

<<....A dedicated Scientologist, Preston told Williams that she credited a detoxification program from the writings of Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard with helping improve her son's health.....>>

Comment

Oh, Travolta, Cruise, and all the other Scientologists are certifiable.

Comment

Carpet cleaning products? Why not the fact that they took the LA Times, or listened to a lot of Neil Young . . .
                I thought it was the New York Post and Celine Dion . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                  Carpet cleaning products? Why not the fact that they took the LA Times, or listened to a lot of Neil Young . . .
                  I thought it was the New York Post and Celine Dion . . . .
                  That would do it!

Comment

First Lark then Jett who next Dweezil?
                    Tom Hyland:
                    "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Working...
                    X