Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EASY Track-related Geography Question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • EASY Track-related Geography Question

    What town is named after a Track athlete ? Why ? What was the original name ?

  • #2
    Is it Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania? Thorpe went to college in Pennsylvania. I believe the town changed its name to attrack more tourists. I don't know the original name.

    Comment


    • #3
      I know the town but not the why and previous name. Answering all three together seems right.
      edit; Hometown Carlyle seems to ring a bell since we are going indie
      Prompted by his medals being reinstated?
      Tom Hyland:
      "squack and wineturtle get it"

      Comment


      • #4
        Jim Thorpe, PA. In honor of Jim Thorpe? No idea what it was called before.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by wineturtle
          I know the town but not the why and previous name. Answering all three together seems right.
          edit; Hometown Carlyle seems to ring a bell since we are going indie
          Prompted by his medals being reinstated?
          I think it was spelled Carlisle.

          Comment


          • #6
            Carlisle is where he went to school.

            About 100 miles away is town of Jim Thorpe. Still no answer is to why name was changed, or former name....

            Comment


            • #7
              Since my last post I done cheated. I think Double R had the reason.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bad hammy
                Since my last post I done cheated. I think Double R had the reason.
                double r said " to attract more tourists." But there is a bit more to it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                  Carlisle is where he went to school.

                  About 100 miles away is town of Jim Thorpe. Still no answer is to why name was changed, or former name....
                  Mauch (pronounciated "Maw" 'ccording to Sports Illustrated) Chunk

                  cman

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cullman
                    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    Carlisle is where he went to school.

                    About 100 miles away is town of Jim Thorpe. Still no answer is to why name was changed, or former name....
                    Mauch (pronounciated "Maw" 'ccording to Sports Illustrated) Chunk

                    cman
                    That is indeed the original name.

                    Now to finish this up... exactly WHY was the name changed ? What was "the deal" ?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Kind of creepy but the town bought his remains and buried him there.

                      cman

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cullman
                        Kind of creepy but the town bought his remains and buried him there.

                        cman
                        You got it ! "You give us the body, we change the name !"

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X