Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another EASY, very easy, Track/Geography Question

Where are you if you are in your car on one of USA's major north-south interstates, and you see an exit touting one of USA's greatest ever track athletes ? What's the name of the intersecting road ?

I-75 in Dayton, Ohio - Edwin C. Moses Blvd.

Right off the exit is Welcome Stadium(owned by Dayton Public Schools), site of our state qualifying Regional meet.

There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
      I-75 in Dayton, Ohio - Edwin C. Moses Blvd.

Right off the exit is Welcome Stadium(owned by Dayton Public Schools), site of our state qualifying Regional meet.

I told you it was easy ! Congrats anyway.

Comment

Welcome Stadium
        Where are the horiz-jumps held?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Welcome Stadium
          Where are the horiz-jumps held?

Looking at the picture, in front of the near side stands, between the stands and the track.

Comment

I note there is another full-size track across the parking lot.... any chance of adding 40,000 seats, tearing up the artificial turf, and hosting the Worlds at Perc Welcome? :lol:

Comment

A couple of interesting notes about that site:

- The building above the stadium in the pic is UD Arena, home to the annual NCAA basketball tournament "Play-In" game.

- When Ohio State decided in 1998 to tear out the track from Ohio Stadium to lower the field and add seats for football, the Ohio state track meet moved to Welcome until 2004, when Jesse Owens Stadium opened on the OSU campus.

- Best HS meet ever held there? 2001 Roosevelt Memorial - check out some of the names - http://www.dyestat.com/us/1out/Dayton-R ... /index.htm . Note that Nate Brannen ran a 4:02 1600 - originally the plan was for Alan Webb to be a part of that race, but Rackzo pulled him out at the last second.

All in all a good facility. Only thing holding it back from being great is the layout - as you can see the immediate area is flat as a pancake, and unfortunately the homestraight is laid out northeast to southwest(far side in the pic).

Comment

How does surrounding area being flat, and straight being where it is, detract ?

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve

Wind. Very strong springtime prevailing winds blow in from the SW, with nothing to block them. The only time you get a tailwind there is if a coldfront blows in - but then of course it's cold.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve

Wind. Very strong springtime prevailing winds blow in from the SW, with nothing to block them. The only time you get a tailwind there is if a coldfront blows in - but then of course it's cold.
                    I should have figured that out. I'm over in Indy, and 90 % of our weather comes in from the SW... sure it's the same over in Dayton. And of course our stadium here is set up W to E... just ask Flo Jo ! ( Oh, that's right, I forgot, the wind was 0.0 )

Comment

Working...
                    X