Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 47:

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 47:

    47. What, officially, is the difference between a town and a city, and between a village and a hamlet?

  • #2
    :wink:
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

    Comment


    • #3
      I've read this before somewhere. A city has a cathedral while a village has a church. A town does not have a cathedral, but can have a church. I think it's something like that.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 47:

        Originally posted by gh
        47. What, officially, is the difference between . . . a village and a hamlet?
        A hamlet has a tragic ending. Some villages turn out ok.

        Comment


        • #5
          Maybe a hamlet doesn't have a church.

          Comment


          • #6
            Only a village is entitled to an idiot?

            Comment


            • #7
              I've seen them in cities as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Double R Bar
                I've read this before somewhere. A city has a cathedral while a village has a church. A town does not have a cathedral, but can have a church. I think it's something like that.
                yes, something like that

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Double R Bar
                  Originally posted by tandfman
                  Only a village is entitled to an idiot?
                  I've seen them in cities as well.
                  Every single damn day . . .

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    No 48-49-50 until somebody pins this down more precisely.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      A city would have a cathedral while a town has a church (no large cathedral). A village has a church while a hamlet is too small to have a church. So, the city is the largest, then a town, next a village, and finally the hamlet.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: end of Year Geography Quiz, Question 47:

                        Originally posted by gh
                        47. What, officially, is the difference between a town and a city, and between a village and a hamlet?
                        sitting out but have to ask- gh do we need one progression for 4 or
                        2 answers hamlet>village and town> ?
                        Tom Hyland:
                        "squack and wineturtle get it"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          A city has all three of the following: a cathedral, a university and 100,000+ inhabitants. A town can have two or less of the above, plus a market. Villages have a church, hamlets do not.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            47. A city has a cathedral and a town doesn't. And, as Bill Bryson once explained, a village is a small town and a hamlet is a play by William Shakespeare. Actually, a village has a church and a hamlet doesn't.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by gh
                              47. A city has a cathedral and a town doesn't. And, as Bill Bryson once explained, a village is a small town and a hamlet is a play by William Shakespeare. Actually, a village has a church and a hamlet doesn't.
                              What's the "official" difference between a cathedral and a church???

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X