Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More inane geography trivia

What is the largest US city without a medical school?

Is it cheating if we pull up a list of biggest U.S. cities (by population) and are able to point to the first one that doesn't have one without looking that up?

Comment

Just to be on the board, I will say...

Buffalo, NY

What a hopeless guessing game this question is !

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve

Buffalo, NY

They definitely have one, I know that.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by BisonHurdler
          Originally posted by dukehjsteve

Buffalo, NY

They definitely have one, I know that.

I'm pretty sure I know the answer.
          Well if you know it post it before someone beats you to it. And IMO merely looking at a list of cites with pops. shown is not cheating whatsoever.

Comment

Well assuming the list-looking is legal, I'll post my answer of San Jose. Would've been Phoenix (U of A's med school is in Tuscon) but according to a buddy of mine out that way, they just added a Phoenix campus of some sort not long ago.

Comment

I've read Charlotte is the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                Is it talking about by population or by geographical size? (Or how many cathedrals?)

I was just going by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... population

Pretty sure San Jose has no medical school.

Comment

I think DrJay is correct. Charlotte has residency programs but no medical school. The UNC Med School was opened about 1957, and there was a big push to put it in Charlotte. But eventually Chapel Hill won out. Could be the smallest "city"with a medical school.

Not certain if Chapel Hill is actually a village or a hamlet, actually, as I doubt there are many churches in the People's Democratic Republic of Chapel Hill.

Comment

What is the smallest city/town in the US with a medical school?

I am including schools listed by IMED.

Hershey, PA is much smaller than Chapel Hill, NC...however, I know of at least one that is smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
                      What is the smallest city/town in the US with?

Penn State Med school in Hershey.

Comment

I was editing while you were posting. Good guess, though not correct.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729
                          I think DrJay is correct. Charlotte has residency programs but no medical school. The UNC Med School was opened about 1957, and there was a big push to put it in Charlotte. But eventually Chapel Hill won out. Could be the smallest "city"with a medical school.

Not certain if Chapel Hill is actually a village or a hamlet, actually, as I doubt there are many churches in the People's Democratic Republic of Chapel Hill.
                          So then is wiki incorrect and San Jose is actually smaller than Charlotte? San Jose doesn't have a med school, and wiki says it's ~250,000 people larger than Charlotte.

Comment

Originally posted by ed gee
                            What is the smallest city/town in the US with a medical school?

Hershey, PA is much smaller than Chapel Hill, NC...however, I know of at least one that is smaller.
                            It's gotta be NYMC in Valhalla.

Comment

https://imed.faimer.org/details.asp?cou ... 0&psize=25

LINCOLN MEMORIAL UNIVERSITY DE BUSK COLLEGE OF OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE

The United States Census Bureau formerly treated Harrogate as a census-designated place (CDP) called Harrogate-Shawanee. At the time of the 2000 census the CDP had a total area of 10.8 km² (4.2 mi²), all land, and a population of 2,865.

Perhaps the most surprising location to find a medical school is on the island of Saba. Saba is the smallest island of the Netherlands Antilles and consists largely of the dormant volcano, Mount Scenery (877 m), the highest point of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Saba has a land area of 13 km² (5 sq. miles). At the 2001 Netherlands Antilles census, the population was 1,349 inhabitants, which means a population density of 104 inhabitants per km². In 2004 the population was estimated at 1,424 inhabitants.

Though not an LCME or AOA accredited US medical school, Saba University was established to take advantage of North Americans that were unsuccessful in attaining a position at home.

http://www.saba.edu/

Comment

Working...
                              X